Page 98 of 397 FirstFirst ... 4888949596979899100101102108148198 ... LastLast
Results 2,426 to 2,450 of 9912

Thread: Movies - Take Two. Action!

Today I watched yet another movie that I can't believe I missed in 1996.

Basquiat is a biographical film about the artist killed by heroin at 27 (yet another in the club) who was a darling of the Warhol set.

The cast is staggering. David Bowie as Warhol, Dennis Hopper with a campy fake German accent, Gary Oldman playing someone not crazy or a Prime Minister, Benecio Del Toro, and both Willem Defoe and Chris Walken in small roles. Also throw in Claire Forlani, Courtney Love, Parker Posey & Tatum O'Neil.

Jeffrey Wright in the title role is superb.

I know for sure that many here have seen it, but if you haven't it's worth it.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Taxi Driver is like a Disney movie compared to Tarantuni's knee-jerk 'guns, blood and guts fests'
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    probably why that's his best flik... but still relies on the shoot em up formula
    Which part of Jackie Brown is 'shoot em up'?
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Don't let your meatloaf! Paulie's Avatar
    Please do not feed the troll.

Speaking of trolls, anyone catch Border yet? Sweedish flick written by John Ajvide Lindqvistt, who gave us Let the Right One In (a fave of mine). Completely out there, yet completely captivating.

7 out of 10 whiffs of guilt.
    "That gum you like is going to come back in style."

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    But it was Midnight Cowboy ('69) that really ushered in (or reflected, depending on your POV) a modern sensibility and on its heels came Kelly's Heroes, MASH, Klute, The French Connection, and A Clockwork Orange. That era from '29 to '60 may have been the Golden Age of Hollywood but to me the greatest period of filmmaking started in '67 and lasted until '80. And I only say '80 because that's the year The Shining and Raging Bull were released; otherwise I'd say '79.
    Agreed!

I never tire of 70s film, which is why I love most of Tarantinos work.

He's obsessed with 70s pop culture.

Unless he changes his schtick, no one under the age of 40 is going to understand a word of his dialogue.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    Today I watched yet another movie that I can't believe I missed in 1996.

Basquiat is a biographical film about the artist killed by heroin at 27 (yet another in the club) who was a darling of the Warhol set.

The cast is staggering. David Bowie as Warhol, Dennis Hopper with a campy fake German accent, Gary Oldman playing someone not crazy or a Prime Minister, Benecio Del Toro, and both Willem Defoe and Chris Walken in small roles. Also throw in Claire Forlani, Courtney Love, Parker Posey & Tatum O'Neil.

Jeffrey Wright in the title role is superb.

I know for sure that many here have seen it, but if you haven't it's worth it.
    Ahh yes, great film! And one of Jeffrey Wright's earliest roles, many years before we would see him in things like Westworld. Terrific cast...
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

same here... never cared for John Wayne. But I have zero respect for Tarantino. What a LCD HACK that guy is "let's make a movie with lots of shooting and blood. That will sell big!"
    If you haven't seen Ingloious Basterds, do; it may change your mind.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    Agreed!

I never tire of 70s film, which is why I love most of Tarantinos work.

I like his movies but I'm not necessarily a big fan. I do, however, appreciate the dialogue which I think is some of the best on film since his first, Reservoir Dogs. I've liked almost all of his movies to varying degrees, but the stand outs to me are RD and Kill Bill: Volume 1, especially, which to me says something about how good that movie is because I should hate it and yet I love it.

The only one that fell flat for me and that he directed is Jackie Brown. And I really thought I'd like it before seeing it, given the writer & cast. But I've only seen it once so maybe I should give it another chance.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    I edited my post to fix a grammer error.
    ...wait for it ...

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Mail View Post
    I agree about TCM, which incidentally I always found highly overrated anyway.
    It's an ok movie. Not the greatest horror flick, but almost certainly not the worst. I just think it's interesting that people who've seen the movie think it's more graphic than it really is. There's some sort of psychological, "power of suggestion" thing going on there, I guess. Supposedly, when some people who've seen it in the theater later see it again on TV, they think what they saw on TV has been edited, because all the stuff they "remember" from seeing it in the theater, isn't there.

Apart from that, though, I think the most interesting about the movie is that John Larrouqette did the voice over at the beginning of the movie.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    I want to see that film, Border. Never heard about it until today. Sure isn't playing anywhere around here. Last night we watched an offbeat Western called The Sisters Brothers. Very good.

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    I want to see that film, Border. Never heard about it until today. Sure isn't playing anywhere around here. Last night we watched an offbeat Western called The Sisters Brothers. Very good.

Loved The Sisters Brothers!
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Quote Originally Posted by Paulie View Post
    Please do not feed the troll.

Speaking of trolls, anyone catch Border yet? Sweedish flick written by John Ajvide Lindqvistt, who gave us Let the Right One In (a fave of mine). Completely out there, yet completely captivating.

7 out of 10 whiffs of guilt.
    Let The Right One In is a favorite of mine too. Will be putting Border on my list.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    It's an ok movie. Not the greatest horror flick, but almost certainly not the worst. I just think it's interesting that people who've seen the movie think it's more graphic than it really is. There's some sort of psychological, "power of suggestion" thing going on there, I guess. Supposedly, when some people who've seen it in the theater later see it again on TV, they think what they saw on TV has been edited, because all the stuff they "remember" from seeing it in the theater, isn't there.

Apart from that, though, I think the most interesting about the movie is that John Larrouqette did the voice over at the beginning of the movie.
    What creeped me out about TCM as a kid was the room with the dead birds and bones and stuff but yeah, when I watched it later in life it was a wow, there really isn't any gore in it, it's all suggestive.

John Laroquette, huh? Didn't know that. Good one, sorta like who is the voice of the Dog in A Boy And His Dog or Robert Duvall's first acting job in a movie. Love that idiotic trivia.
    Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000

same here... never cared for John Wayne. But I have zero respect for Tarantino. What a LCD HACK that guy is "let's make a movie with lots of shooting and blood. That will sell big!"

I wouldn't go that far, and I do like many of John Wayne's films like: Red River, The Searchers, The Cowboys, The Shootist, True Grit among some others.

But Tarantino's films don't really seem very authentic to me, they are more hyper real, or always have something (a scene or two) that takes it out from the real world. I'll give him Reservoir Dogs although it's over violent, and for the most part most of his films are over-dialogued. Jackie Brown may be one that more down to earth. I know I'm in the minority (maybe) here. Another example, in True Romance--just the fact that the main character worked in a comic shop smacks of hipsterism, but the character has a really nice apartment, etc. took me out of the film from the get-go. Most of those guys, particularly unless they own the shop, struggle with bills. And the ending scene didn't help much either. The scene in Pulp Fiction where Sam Jackson is quoting the Bible as he commences to shoot some one too is far fetched and over the top. I don't know many Bible quote ganstas. Anyway my two cents, ymmv.

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    Tarantinos work.

Unless he changes his schtick
    he wont because he cant. He's a one-trick pony
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Jesus, leave it alone already! We get it, you don't like him.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Don't let your meatloaf! Paulie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    Let The Right One In is a favorite of mine too. Will be putting Border on my list.
    Careful Klonky. This is no Let the Right One In. Its slow and really out there. That said, I was mesmerized. I don't even know if I enjoyed it.

BTW, I need to catch LtROI again soon. One of the most satisfying climaxes ever. Even the American version (Let Me In) nailed it!
    "That gum you like is going to come back in style."

[QUOTE=TheLoony;886458]What creeped me out about TCM as a kid was the room with the dead birds and bones and stuff but yeah, when I watched it later in life it was a wow, there really isn't any gore in it, it's all suggestive.

who is the voice of the Dog in A Boy And His Dog
    I thought I knew the answer to that one, but Wikipedia says it's Tim McIntire. He apparently also was involved in writing the film's score, along with Ray Manzarek.

or Robert Duvall's first acting job in a movie.
    According to Wikipedia, Boo Radley in To Kill A Mockingbird, but he had been doing theater work for over 10 years before that, and also appeared in numerous TV shows, including episodes of The Twilight Zone (!), The Outer Limits (!!), Voyage To The Bottom Of The Sea (!!!), and Time Tunnel (!!!!). I've probably seen all of them, and just don't remember him being in them.
    Love that idiotic trivia.
    Well, then you've come to the right place. Robert DuVall told a great story on Letterman, about how James Caan pissed off Marlon Brando on the Godfather set. Apparently, Marlon, being a "serious" actor, would have to take a few seconds to "get into the role" before a take. He'd say "Give me a second", look down and close his eyes for about 10 seconds, then say, "OK", and they'd do a take.

So this one day, they're shooting something where Caan has to walk in a room, doesn't have to say anything or do anything, he just has to walk into Vito Corleone's office or whatever. So before the take, he says "Give me a second", and does the same thing Brando was doing, and that apparently upset Brando.

DuVall said he enjoyed working on the first Godfather movie more so than the second one, because James Caan was fun to work with.

But you remind me it's been too long since I've seen THX-1138. Too long since I've seen American Graffiti, or for that matter, any of the original three (and only worthy, as far as I'm concerned) Star Wars pictures.

I've seen Duvall in both the Twilight Zone and The Outer Limits. I did not care for the Twilight Zone episode, Miniature but I loved the Outer Limits 2-parter The Inheritors (which is ironic since I find TZ far superior to OL overall)

Quote Originally Posted by Paulie View Post
    Careful Klonky. This is no Let the Right One In. Its slow and really out there. That said, I was mesmerized. I don't even know if I enjoyed it.

BTW, I need to catch LtROI again soon. One of the most satisfying climaxes ever. Even the American version (Let Me In) nailed it!
    Thanks for the heads up, but I still want to see it. Yeah...Let The Right One In has one of the most satisfying endings for sure! The remake was well done...a rare feat!
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Ummmm... How many Tarantino pics have you actually seen?

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    Ummmm... How many Tarantino pics have you actually seen?
    If only it were possible for Tarantino to direct John Wayne...........

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    Thanks for the heads up, but I still want to see it. Yeah...Let The Right One In has one of the most satisfying endings for sure! The remake was well done...a rare feat!
    Another fan of "Let The Right One In" here. Great movie and agree the ending nailed it.

[QUOTE=GuitarGeek;886644]
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLoony View Post
    What creeped me out about TCM as a kid was the room with the dead birds and bones and stuff but yeah, when I watched it later in life it was a wow, there really isn't any gore in it, it's all suggestive.

I thought I knew the answer to that one, but Wikipedia says it's Tim McIntire. He apparently also was involved in writing the film's score, along with Ray Manzarek.

According to Wikipedia, Boo Radley in To Kill A Mockingbird, but he had been doing theater work for over 10 years before that, and also appeared in numerous TV shows, including episodes of The Twilight Zone (!), The Outer Limits (!!), Voyage To The Bottom Of The Sea (!!!), and Time Tunnel (!!!!). I've probably seen all of them, and just don't remember him being in them.

Well, then you've come to the right place. Robert DuVall told a great story on Letterman, about how James Caan pissed off Marlon Brando on the Godfather set. Apparently, Marlon, being a "serious" actor, would have to take a few seconds to "get into the role" before a take. He'd say "Give me a second", look down and close his eyes for about 10 seconds, then say, "OK", and they'd do a take.

So this one day, they're shooting something where Caan has to walk in a room, doesn't have to say anything or do anything, he just has to walk into Vito Corleone's office or whatever. So before the take, he says "Give me a second", and does the same thing Brando was doing, and that apparently upset Brando.

DuVall said he enjoyed working on the first Godfather movie more so than the second one, because James Caan was fun to work with.

But you remind me it's been too long since I've seen THX-1138. Too long since I've seen American Graffiti, or for that matter, any of the original three (and only worthy, as far as I'm concerned) Star Wars pictures.
    Talking of Brando stories from The Godfather, you may appreciate this one...

I only clicked on it because I thought it was going to be something more interesting...