Page 80 of 394 FirstFirst ... 307076777879808182838490130180 ... LastLast
Results 1,976 to 2,000 of 9833

Thread: Movies - Take Two. Action!

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I probably should have posted a spoiler alert, but ultimately it doesn't really matter. You should watch it - I enjoyed it!
    I did watch this last night, and did enjoy it. Klonk would probably like this too.
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    I did watch this last night, and did enjoy it. Klonk would probably like this too.
    Yeah it's on my list, but just can't push play for some reason
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    Yeah it's on my list, but just can't push play for some reason
    ...and speaking of movies I can't push play on yet...Lou have you seen Hold The Dark? been wanting to watch this for a while, but have heard mixed reviews. Anyone see this?

...and speaking of movies I can't push play on yet...Lou have you seen Hold The Dark? been wanting to watch this for a while, but have heard mixed reviews. Anyone see this?
    I have not seen this.

I just watched IFC Films The Death Of Stalin, which proves you can't judge a movie by its title. Steve Buscemi as Khrushchev, Jeffrey Tambor as Malenkov and Michael Palin as Molotov.

While I'd objectively call it a dramedy, I just laughed my ass off in spite of the coup-related violence through the whole movie. Loved it.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    I just watched IFC Films The Death Of Stalin, which proves you can't judge a movie by its title. Steve Buscemi as Khrushchev, Jeffrey Tambor as Malenkov and Michael Palin as Molotov.

While I'd objectively call it a dramedy, I just laughed my ass off in spite of the coup-related violence through the whole movie. Loved it.
    Fantastic movie
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Watched The Autopsy of Jane Doe last night. I enjoyed it, but the "explanation" (as well as the setup at the beginning) seem cobbled together and unclear. I've looked a bit online for explanations of the explanations, but not found anything very helpful. Anyone feel the beginning and ending make sense, and think they can help?

I don't understand how Jane Doe got from Salem to Virginia, and if she was in the process of being buried or unburied at that massacre scene in the beginning.
    BTW, I never realized how freaking satanic the song "Open Up Your Heart (And Let the Sunshine In)" is (ironically). The only place I'd heard it before was Pebbles and Bamm Bamm singing it on The Flintstones. Or in some old Flintstones movie. And I hate The Flintstones, so it seemed even more satanic in this movie. If you read about the song on Wikipedia, it becomes even freakier. On the original version it was sung by adult men, but sped up so it would sound like it was being sung by children. It hit #8 on the Billboard charts!

BTW, I never realized how freaking satanic the song "Open Up Your Heart (And Let the Sunshine In)" is (ironically). The only place I'd heard it before was Pebbles and Bamm Bamm singing it on The Flintstones. Or in some old Flintstones movie. And I hate The Flintstones, so it seemed even more satanic in this movie. If you read about the song on Wikipedia, it becomes even freakier. On the original version it was sung by adult men, but sped up so it would sound like it was being sung by children. It hit #8 on the Billboard charts!
    I've probably heard the Pebbles and Bam Bam version, but it's been so long, I don't really remember it.

I never thought of it as "satanic"... that's a strange viewpoint
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    I never thought of it as "satanic"... that's a strange viewpoint
    What I mean is that the song is about satan, and avoiding satan, and the artificial "little Kid" vocals make it sound like satan has won. Or something like that. It's scary as fuck, isn't that enough?

Ok, you've forced my hand - here you go, everyone, enjoy! If this is a beloved song for you, sorry. BTW, I'm referring to the literary satan of Milton, etc., not getting religious (I know Milton was getting religious, but I see it as just literature).

well, yeah the song is about satan looking to win kiddos to his side, but it doesn't paint him in a good light or promote his world view like something I personally would call "satanic"
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    well, yeah the song is about satan looking to win kiddos to his side, but it doesn't paint him in a good light or promote his world view like something I personally would call "satanic"
    It's about satan. That's what I meant. I also was pointing out that the song works very well in a movie such as this, where it's meant to be disturbing and ominous.

That song is truly appalling.

Wow, I had no idea! When I heard this, when first aired on the Flintstones, I thought it was cute but sappy. I think I was about 12.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Man in the Wilderness--pretty close to the story of The Revenant, but was made in 1971. It stars Richard Harris, and although slow, I was happy to watch it. If you like westerns, you'd probably enjoy it.

A Perfect World - Clint Eastwood directed movie from 1993 with Kevin Costner and Laura Dern, and Eastwood himself.

Costner plays largely against type as an escaped con who takes a young Jehovah's Witness boy hostage and drives across the US to try and escape.

Even for the time this was an unusual subject for a movie, and it contains some uncomfortable scenes and exchanges of dialogue between Costner and the boy, and also a scene where Costner's partner tries to interfere with the boy.

At the heart of the story is Costner's relationship with the boy, and the parallels between his strict upbringing and Costner abuse at the hands of his father. To a degree Costner's character seems determined to show the boy a way of life that he himself was deprived of.

In that regard the movie is successful, the kid is great actor and Costner is suitably laconic and threatening as the escaped con.

Unfortunately the scenes between Eastwood and Laura Dern as the law officers chasing them don't really convince.

It's a strange one, that's for sure.
    I only clicked on it because I thought it was going to be something more interesting...

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Mail View Post
    A Perfect World - Clint Eastwood directed movie from 1993 with Kevin Costner and Laura Dern, and Eastwood himself.

Costner plays largely against type as an escaped con who takes a young Jehovah's Witness boy hostage and drives across the US to try and escape.

Even for the time this was an unusual subject for a movie, and it contains some uncomfortable scenes and exchanges of dialogue between Costner and the boy, and also a scene where Costner's partner tries to interfere with the boy.

At the heart of the story is Costner's relationship with the boy, and the parallels between his strict upbringing and Costner abuse at the hands of his father. To a degree Costner's character seems determined to show the boy a way of life that he himself was deprived of.

In that regard the movie is successful, the kid is great actor and Costner is suitably laconic and threatening as the escaped con.

Unfortunately the scenes between Eastwood and Laura Dern as the law officers chasing them don't really convince.

It's a strange one, that's for sure.
    I really liked this movie overall , and I tink its one of Costners better performances.

Last night I watched The Ritual, which I'm pretty sure has come up on here earlier. While it wasn't that original, I found it pretty harrowing and it held my interest. Definitely reminiscent of films like Blair Witch Project and The Descent in certain ways, but the ending was pretty good. Not wholly original, but somewhat.

Last night I watched The Ritual, which I'm pretty sure has come up on here earlier. While it wasn't that original, I found it pretty harrowing and it held my interest. Definitely reminiscent of films like Blair Witch Project and The Descent in certain ways, but the ending was pretty good. Not wholly original, but somewhat.
    Loved it. An easy favorite Netflix original. It's a pace in horror movies I love...slow burn into a wild ride. (Apostle has the same formula). Ending left me wanting more though. My only beef.

Loved it. An easy favorite Netflix original. It's a pace in horror movies I love...slow burn into a wild ride. (Apostle has the same formula). Ending left me wanting more though. My only beef.

He's Out There
    Caught this on Netflix last night. Not original by any means, but was done very well. Smoking hot mom and 2 daughters head out to lakeside home for a weekend.
    Hubby is caught up at work and has to meet them there later. Mom and kids are terrorized by psycho. Adequately suspenseful. Held my attention throughout.

The Monster

Another Netflix view last night. Alcoholic white trash skank is driving her pre teen daughter back to her dad's house to live. They get stuck on a back woods road. While waiting for
    the tow truck, they soon realize that they are not alone out there. And their company isn't animal or human.
    Almost didn't watch because it looked kinda cheesy. I'm glad I did see it. Very well acted. Nice flashbacks too explaining the volatile relationship between mother and daughter.

I'm about a 3/4 of the way through Dr. Mabuse, The Gambler, a 4 and half hour long silent film directed by Fritz Lang, the man who would give us the classic Metropolis a few years later.

The picture is about a sinister manipulator (played by Rudolf Klein-Rogge, who some of you will remember as Rotwang from Metropolis) who is able to control people and get them to do his bidding. I'm not really good with movies these days, having trouble sitting through a 90 minute movie in one sitting, forget one of this length. Thankfully, the picture is divided into multiple acts, so far each is around 20-30 minutes long, so I've been trying to digest one of those in each sitting. At any rate, I'm enjoying it so far.

Somewhat strangely, I think, TCM aired the sequel, The Testament Of Dr. Mabuse (which got banned by the Nazis after Hitler came to power, a stamp of quality if there ever was one) a couple years ago, but this is the first time I've seen them air the original film (which actually was originally released in two installments, a couple months apart, so I suppose the actually makes The Testament Of... the third movie in the series). I wonder how long it will take them show The Thousand Eyes Of Dr. Mabuse or any of the subsequent Dr. Mabuse pictures (none of which were directed by Lang, and at least a couple seem to play more James Bond knock offs than the kind of picture that one might associate with Lang).

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post

The Monster

Another Netflix view last night. Alcoholic white trash skank is driving her pre teen daughter back to her dad's house to live. They get stuck on a back woods road. While waiting for
    the tow truck, they soon realize that they are not alone out there. And their company isn't animal or human.
    Almost didn't watch because it looked kinda cheesy. I'm glad I did see it. Very well acted. Nice flashbacks too explaining the volatile relationship between mother and daughter.
    Let me guess - the "monster" is some kind of manifestation of their relationship? Even if I'm right, I might watch it. I didn't realize The Ritual was a Netflix film - man, they're cranking these things out.

Let me guess - the "monster" is some kind of manifestation of their relationship? Even if I'm right, I might watch it. I didn't realize The Ritual was a Netflix film - man, they're cranking these things out.
    No sir!

I tried searching for Apostle on Amazon, and nothing but religion as far as the eye can see. I'll see if IMDB can help.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    I tried searching for Apostle on Amazon, and nothing but religion as far as the eye can see. I'll see if IMDB can help.
    It's on Netflix
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.