Page 78 of 394 FirstFirst ... 286874757677787980818288128178 ... LastLast
Results 1,926 to 1,950 of 9833

Thread: Movies - Take Two. Action!

One of the HBO channels has be re-running The Sopranos lately. I have happened to catch a few random episodes, which has reminded me just what an outstanding series that was. Acting, writing, all of it was just about as top notch as it gets. Some day when I am retired I want to go back and watch the whole series again.

Does anybody know anything about this? Given the cast, and the 85% rating, I'm amazed that I've never heard of it...
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Wow ...I'm going to have to look into that.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Nah, not really. The "monsters" in both movies were completely different, and the results of being heard by them or seeing them were different as well.
    Both films had:

Strong high profile lead actresses

Babies being born

Monsters, although Bird Box never showed you them.

In AQP characters mute and in BB characters blind.
    Last edited by nosebone; 01-09-2019 at 12:40 PM.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Nah, not really. The "monsters" in both movies were completely different, and the results of being heard by them or seeing them were different as well.
    Yes, the specifics are different but the over all premise is the same.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    TCM had a Laurel & Hardy marathon last night.
    Love those guys!

The Music Box: Stan and Ollie deliver a player piano to a house at the top of a very long staircase. I've seen this several times before, in recent years, and it never fails to make me laugh.
    Always makes me laugh, too. I read recently that it won an Oscar for best short.

Also love the gag with Stan's apparent ability to use his thumb as a cigarette lighter, which completely confounds Ollie, who spends a big chunk of the back half of the picture trying to emulate this stunt.
    OMG, I completely forgot about that. Love that bit!

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    Both films had:

Babies being born

Hollywood is noted for copycat movies when something has been surprisingly successful. That can't be said in this case because the novel The Bird Box and the story that was the basis for AQP were written at roughly the same. This is more a case of synchronicity. But I agree with your assessment. The details are different but the premise is more or less the same.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Both films had:

Babies being born

Reductionist.

I knew people couldn't wait to start calling it "A Blind Place". So clever...

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    Yes, the specifics are different but the over all premise is the same.
    I don't really think so actually. AQP focused on a single family dealing with the trauma of what happened at the beginning of the film, and had basically no other characters in it at all. And certainly no human antagonists, which Bird Box had.

Also, in Bird Box the childbirth was not in itself dangerous because the monsters/entities were not attracted to sound like in AQP, where the baby being born (and preparation for it) was a major plot point.

If you're talking of the premise at its most basic -- just that it's post-apocalyptic and it involves monsters of some kind -- then I agree with you. But beyond that, I don't see a lot of similarities.

I liked AQP a lot, but for some reason Bird Box just never interested me.

re: Laurel And Hardy's The Music Box:

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post

Always makes me laugh, too. I read recently that it won an Oscar for best short.
    It didn't just win an Oscar for best comedy short, it won the very first such Oscar, at the fifth Academy Awards (I learned that during the marathon the other night).

The staircase is still there, btw, though most everything else about the outdoor location has changed:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Music_Box#Location

Hollywood is noted for copycat movies when something has been surprisingly successful.
    It's not even a matter of copying something successful, a lot of times something is in pre-production or is being shopped around, when something else comes out that proves successful. There were a lot of sci-fi movies that came out in the late 70's, in the wake of Star Wars. Some of the more low budget ones were surely tossed out to cash in on the popularity of the Lucas picture (Battle Beyond The Stars, for one), but some were all in the planning stages even before Star Wars came out.

Then there's things like Alejandro Jodorowsky's unmade version of Dune, where even though the movie never happened, the storyboards, costume designs, etc, which were all done before Jodo went to Hollywood to try to get financing, ended up influencing what happened was done in the sci-fi genre for a quite a few years that followed. In the documentary made about the whole thing, they stop just short of saying that a lot of directors ripped off Jodo on that front.

Then there's people who insist that WKRP In Cincinnati was ripped off from the movie FM but I recall reading that WKRP was actually "in development" for several years before FM came out.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    It's not even a matter of copying something successful, a lot of times something is in pre-production or is being shopped around, when something else comes out that proves successful.
    Very true.

In the case of A Quiet Place and Bird Box, their core concepts are pretty different IMO, because one is based on how to avoid making any sound and the other is about how to avoid simply seeing something.

The solution to the latter (i.e. blindness) is basically a conclusion to the issue.

But try to just go through daily routines without making any noise, for the rest of your life.

True, they each involve one of the key senses (sight and sound), but in A Quiet Place it's the monsters' auditory sense that the heroes are concerned about infringing upon -- while in Bird Box it's the protagonists' sense of sight that gets violated by the monsters.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I'm going to see Aquaman tonight. I offered to option of seeing The Mule (Eastwood) to my girlfriend but she said Eastwood is too old!! I would have still picked The Mule but that's life.

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    Does anybody know anything about this? Given the cast, and the 85% rating, I'm amazed that I've never heard of it...
    Never heard of it, but it looks like it would be cool.

Aquaman rocked! Amazing special effects (reminded me of Avatar) but the story also held together nicely. I've seen lots of DC movies but this one is the best.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    Aquaman rocked! Amazing special effects (reminded me of Avatar) but the story also held together nicely. I've seen lots of DC movies but this one is the best.
    Glad you liked it! I agree, it's easily the best DC movie so far (at least since The Dark Knight), IMO.

Those visuals during the underwater sequences were quite impressive!

Annihilation

I think I liked this . Sort of a sci/fi/horror kinda mash-up. It's very slow, but I didn't find myself getting bored all that much just out of pure curiosity. In a nutshell...A meteor hits a lighthouse and creates a weird, alien glow creating investigations, mutations and missing people.

I'd say check it out sci-fi fans in here. It's definitely interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    Annihilation

I think I liked this . Sort of a sci/fi/horror kinda mash-up. It's very slow, but I didn't find myself getting bored all that much just out of pure curiosity. In a nutshell...A meteor hits a lighthouse and creates a weird, alien glow creating investigations, mutations and missing people.
    Another mashup of Aliens, The Thing, Jurassic Park, The Mist etc.
    Couldn't finish it..., I fell asleep

Beautiful Boy (2018)

Upper middle class family has a drug addicted son with a happy ending,

That's it. You've seen it all before . Remember those 70s made for TV movies " I was a Teenage ( fill in the blank) ?"

Go Ask Alice for the millenials

I'm am so excited to see Free Solo IMAX. Alex Honnold is phenomenal. Might need to wear a diaper! It would be great if the soundtrack included Fripp's Exposure, but I doubt it.

Couldn't finish it..., I fell asleep

Beautiful Boy (2018)

Upper middle class family has a drug addicted son with a happy ending,

That's it. You've seen it all before . Remember those 70s made for TV movies " I was a Teenage ( fill in the blank) ?"

Go Ask Alice for the millenials
    Kinda like that flick where Robbie Benson's uptight old man shoots him at the end?

Robbie Benson! there's an Afterschool Special blast from the past! Whatever happened to this dude? Is he still alive? making movies?

Robbie Benson! there's an Afterschool Special blast from the past! Whatever happened to this dude? Is he still alive? making movies?
    He was the voice of the Beast in Disney's Beauty in the Beast
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

It's actually based on the first book in a trilogy (by Jeff VanderMeer), which has practically nothing in common with any of those movies you just listed. And you say "Another mashup", like there have been more movies like it in recent memory. If there are, I want to know!

I get that there are a lot of copycat movies being made by Hollywood, but c'mon man -- not everything is. Annihilation was not a major big-budget Hollywood cash-in, not by a longshot. It almost didn't even get a theatrical release at all, because it was "too art-house" for the theaters supposedly.

Do you like any movies?

Annihilation

I'd say check it out sci-fi fans in here. It's definitely interesting.
    I still haven't seen this one, but I loved the Southern Reach trilogy, of which Annihilation was the first book.

Doesn't sound like there were plans on making any sequels though, which is a shame. I'd love to see how they bring some of the insanity that happens in the 2nd and 3rd books to the big screen. Annihilation was just the tip of the weirdness iceberg in that series.

Do you like any movies?
    Gritty crime dramas from the 70's! That's nosebone's bag baby!

Gritty crime dramas from the 70's! That's nosebone's bag baby!
    Well hey, those are good too!

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Kinda like that flick where Robbie Benson's uptight old man shoots him at the end?
    The Death of Ritchie (1977) .

I remember reading the book in middle school.

Glad you liked it! I agree, it's easily the best DC movie so far (at least since The Dark Knight), IMO.

Those visuals during the underwater sequences were quite impressive!
    They were amazing!