Page 71 of 394 FirstFirst ... 216167686970717273747581121171 ... LastLast
Results 1,751 to 1,775 of 9828

Thread: Movies - Take Two. Action!

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    Bird Box

Caught this Netflix original tonight. Description from IMDB...Five years after an ominous unseen presence drives most of society to suicide, a mother and her two children make a desperate bid to reach safety.

Sandra Bullock is superb as the reluctant mother in this. She also looks freaking amazing for her age! Part suspense, part horror, part survival film. Cast includes John Malkovich
    and Sarah Paulsen. Highly recommended.
    In my watchlist. I'll watch anything with Paulson in it (not that I don't appreciate both Bullock & Malky.)
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    In my watchlist. I'll watch anything with Paulson in it (not that I don't appreciate both Bullock & Malky.)
    Paulson plays the sister to Bullock. Unfortunately, her role is pretty limited.
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

My daughter Sharra just had me watch an Irish indie film called 'Swing Street', about a band formed to impress a girl, that ends up being really good. The movie itself I thoroughly enjoyed. Look forward to watching it again even.

Wife and I are watching The Man Who Invented Christmas tonight. We wanted to watch it last year, but it was brand new in the theaters if I recall. Last night we watched one from 2005 (that she had seen twice before) called The Family Stone, which I had assumed was going to be quite girly, but was actually very engaging and well acted. It's mostly a light comedic character study with some dramatic scenes thrown in for balance.

As an added bonus, I got to watch Rachel McAdams and Claire Danes.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Wife and I are watching The Man Who Invented Christmas tonight. We wanted to watch it last year, but it was brand new in the theaters if I recall. Last night we watched one from 2005 (that she had seen twice before) called The Family Stone, which I had assumed was going to be quite girly, but was actually very engaging and well acted. It's mostly a light comedic character study with some dramatic scenes thrown in for balance.
    Given the context, I'm gonna assume this has nothing to do with Sly Stone, right?

My wife and I both loved The Man Who Invented Christmas. Absolutely excellent IMO, and much better than I thought it would be. It's the story of how Dickens came up with the various inspirations for A Christmas Carol, and has a top notch cast, including one of my favourite actors, Christopher Plummer. Highly recommended!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Watched Venom tonight, it was a lot better than I expected, little slow to start but lots of good action & pretty funny too.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

I am getting ready to watch, for about the 100th time (not exaggerating) the 1951 A Christmas Carol with the beyond magnificent Alastair Sim (see The Ruling Class and all the St. Trinian's films in addition to imo the definitive Scrooge portrayal). Geo. C. Scott, Reginald Owen, Bill Murray or anyone else can't touch him in this role.

I have not watched it with anyone else since 2006, when Kay told me to "shut the hell up" because I know 90% of the dialogue by memory and like Sellers Nazi's right arm in Dr. Strangelove, my mouth won't stay still.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

I am getting ready to watch, for about the 100th time (not exaggerating) the 1951 A Christmas Carol with the beyond magnificent Alastair Sim (see The Ruling Class and all the St. Trinian's films in addition to imo the definitive Scrooge portrayal). Geo. C. Scott, Reginald Owen, Bill Murray or anyone else can't touch him in this role.

I have not watched it with anyone else since 2006, when Kay told me to "shut the hell up" because I know 90% of the dialogue by memory and like Sellers Nazi's right arm in Dr. Strangelove, my mouth won't stay still.
    It's the one I've seen the most as well, and I agree Alistair Sim was the best, despite how good a job I think the other actors have done (Patrick Stewart was another good one.)

I admit to often tearing up at the scene when he asks for forgiveness for being a "pig-headed old fool with no eyes to see with and no ears to hear". Likewise with the exquisite joyousness of his entire transformation, including raising Cratchett's salary, dancing with the (alarmed) maid on the steps, the boy on the street, etc.. just beautiful stuff. A divine performance!

It's the one I've seen the most as well, and I agree Alistair Sim was the best, despite how good a job I think the other actors have done (Patrick Stewart was another good one.)

I admit to often tearing up at the scene when he asks for forgiveness for being a "pig-headed old fool with no eyes to see with and no ears to hear". Likewise with the exquisite joyousness of his entire transformation, including raising Cratchett's salary, dancing with the (alarmed) maid on the steps, the boy on the street, etc.. just beautiful stuff. A divine performance!
    I tear up every year at that very scene (I think part of it is the stunning radiant face of Fred's wife looking up at him), and I remember Kay really losing it when just before that scene, when they're singing the traditional "Barbara Allen" as Scrooge walks into the room, I said, "the last word they're going to sing is "think" before they stop in shock at Scrooge's presence .

Yeah, I know that feeling. When I saw Heavy Metal at a theater a few weeks ago, this guy a couple rows in front of me kept turning around and looking my direction. I thought I was reciting the dialog quietly, but a couple places, I guess he didn't think so.

Bird Box

Caught this Netflix original tonight. Description from IMDB...Five years after an ominous unseen presence drives most of society to suicide, a mother and her two children make a desperate bid to reach safety.

Sandra Bullock is superb as the reluctant mother in this. She also looks freaking amazing for her age! Part suspense, part horror, part survival film. Cast includes John Malkovich
    Sounds pretty good.

My wife and I both loved The Man Who Invented Christmas. Absolutely excellent IMO, and much better than I thought it would be. It's the story of how Dickens came up with the various inspirations for A Christmas Carol, and has a top notch cast, including one of my favourite actors, Christopher Plummer. Highly recommended!
    Been wanting to watch this for a while. I'm going to have to make room for it soon.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

The Kindergarten Teacher (2018)

Maggie Gyllenhaal becomes obsessed with one of her students who she believes is a poetic genius. 8.5/10 Netflix
    Maggie is superb!

Custody (2017)

French drama/thriller about a broken family and unhinged father. 9/10 Amazon
    Amazing acting!
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Bird Box

Watched this last night and really enjoyed it. Solid thriller!
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Another netflix original I caught recently was Outlaw King and it was pretty damn good! Takes place right after William Wallace death and follows Robert the Bruce. Braveheart fans will enjoy.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    Another netflix original I caught recently was Outlaw King and it was pretty damn good! Takes place right after William Wallace death and follows Robert the Bruce. Braveheart fans will enjoy.
    On my list. My oldest son is into history and said this is an excellent movie.

Watched Bird Box last night and I'm on the bandwagon as well.

Bullock already has an Oscar-winning and extensive resume. I have to say that imo her performance in BB is among her very best.

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    I enjoyed this one too.
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Watched A Simple Favor tonight, Anna Kendrick and Blake Lively as mismatched moms in CT in a missing person murder mystery comedy with lots of twists and turns while still remaining fairly silly. Good in parts, not bad.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Don't let your meatloaf! Paulie's Avatar
    My GF wanted to watch A Simple Favor and I was thinking, "Oh yay...chick flick." I was pleasantly surprised. It's a black comedy through and through. Thoroughly enjoyed it.
    "That gum you like is going to come back in style."

Bird Box

A mash up of A Quiet Place, The Happening, The Mist and every zombie movie from the last 50 years.

A Blind Place would've been a better title.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

^ The trailer makes it look silly, but with the positive reviews here, I'll have to give it a chance.

I'd also recommend A Simple Favor. Lively and Kendrick are both great, and it's nice to see a black comedy with plot twists (plural) that really work and don't feel at all contrived.

This movie (not a Pitch Perfect series fan) really made me fall in love with Kendrick and her talent.

Finally got around to Wonder Woman. It was better than it had any right to be.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Watched the back half of Big Trouble In Little China this evening. Still one of my favorite movies, and easily the best picture Kim Cattrall was ever in.

What?! Don't tell me you thought Mannequin was better!