Page 57 of 394 FirstFirst ... 74753545556575859606167107157 ... LastLast
Results 1,401 to 1,425 of 9833

Thread: Movies - Take Two. Action!

Quote Originally Posted by Painter View Post
    Yup.

His most famous work is Who Framed Roger Rabbit . All the animation. Obviously Zemeckis directed the entire film.
    Oh, geez, does anyone remember the talk of how you could see Jessica Rabbit's...lady parts in one shot, if you watched it in slow motion? Apparently, when the LaserDisc came out, someone sat down and watch the entire film, one frame at a time, and figured out there were shots where you could see things you're not supposed to see in a family movie. The thing I remember was there's a shot where Jessica goes flying through the air, where her skirt comes up, and you see her underwear, but in one frame, the underwear disappears, and interpreted it as deliberate "naughtiness" on the part of the animators.

Quote Originally Posted by Painter View Post
    You ever see The Thief and The Cobbler by Richard Williams? .
    I was a projectionist for a while, and amassed a totally useless collection of 35mm trailers. We had a showing of that, but the butchered version called Arabian Knight.

I *ahem* found myself with a 35mm slide projector at home, and ended up smoking a lot of dope and cutting up a ton of those trailers to make slides. Used to just let the thing go, projecting all kinds of movie images on the wall when I was home.
    Still have a small collection of trailers and some of the slides I made, and Arabian Knight is one that I have still have both of.

Started the Netflix series Legend of Hill House (2018) last night based on glowing reviews.

Very slow, not scary or suspenseful , and loaded with confusing timeline cuts.

Waiting for some kind of payoff is like waiting for Santa in July
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    Started the Netflix series Legend of Hill House (2018) last night based on glowing reviews.

I have some friends who are diggin' this, but I haven't been able to pull the trigger yet.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

I think you mean The Haunting of Hill House.

I watched it and your assessment is accurate. I liked it, for the most part and found it very atmospheric. But, yeah, it's Gothic horror (i.e. drama) so it's not scary or suspenseful. And if that's what they were going for, they failed miserably.

I also thought they could have tightened up the story. Some parts of it felt dragged out. Ten episodes was too many.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

We just finished Season 1 of The Sinner last night. The ending payoff really delivered, but they could have told the same story in two fewer episodes.

There are many parallels to Sharp Objects, which also suffered from being a little drawn-out, IMO.

Overall, it was pretty good. Not sure if we'll continue on to Season 2, based on most reviews that I've read.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    I think you mean The Haunting of Hill House.

I watched it and your assessment is accurate. I liked it, for the most part and found it very atmospheric. But, yeah, it's Gothic horror (i.e. drama) so it's not scary or suspenseful. And if that's what they were going for, they failed miserably.

I also thought they could have tightened up the story. Some parts of it felt dragged out. Ten episodes was too many.

I meant Haunting, I'm done after episode 3.

Gonna try Apostle next.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

We saw A Star is Born this afternoon. A bit of a melodrama but ye gods, what a melodrama. Gonna be some Oscar noms out of this because the acting is fierce, especially Gaga and Sam Elliot. Christ, that woman can sing!
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    We saw A Star is Born this afternoon. A bit of a melodrama but ye gods, what a melodrama. Gonna be some Oscar noms out of this because the acting is fierce, especially Gaga and Sam Elliot. Christ, that woman can sing!
    I posted earlier how much I really dug this film! Gaga's acting is revelatory, American Horror Story notwithstanding. IMO she could give up singing and performing and make it as a dramatic actress just fine, but that would be a waste of what more & more people are realizing is waaaay more than a meat dress when it comes to her musical talent.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

I meant Haunting, I'm done after episode 3.

Gonna try Apostle next.
    Apostle was very good.
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

I will be interested to see where she goes from here. Obviously a part like this is something she's born to play. Next we can see what kind of range she has but in this particular role, she fucking nails it. The woman sitting next to us turned to my wife at the end of the movie and said, "And the Oscar goes to Lady Gaga".

At this point, Sam Elliot is my candidate for best supporting actor.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Oceans 8 . A Female Oceans 11 . Wanted to like it , couldn't even make it halfway due to crippling boredom.

Quote Originally Posted by nycsteve View Post
    Oceans 8 . A Female Oceans 11 . Wanted to like it , couldn't even make it halfway due to crippling boredom.
    So it was like the Ghostbusters reboot.

But with no Kate McKinnon. Mind numbing.

First Man, the Ryan Gosling/Neil Armstrong movie.

Saw it today.

Effects: Superb

Rest of film (script, acting): Meh
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post

Saw it today.

That's disappointing. I was looking forward to this one.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

The Walking Dead: Mid 30's flick with Boris Karloff as a man framed by mobsters for the murder of a judge. Then, after he's put to death, a doctor revives Karloff, and that's when things start to get interesting. Not a bad picture, enjoyed it for the most part.

Demon Seed: Mid 70's movie about a HAL 9000 wannabe who takes over Julie Christie's home and forces her to bare it's child. Makes me think twice about getting all the "smart" appliances that everyone's hot on right now.

Bedknobs And Broomsticks: early 70's Disney picture with a pre-Murder She Wrote Angela Lansbury as a witch-in-training who takes in three kids during WWII. Good movie, but it would have been better without the interminable song-and-dance numbers. I actually fast forwarded through a couple of those bits. The animated sequence at the center of the film is the best part.

The Cat From Outer Space: Another Disney picture, this one from 1978. Exactly what the title says: a spaceship piloted by an extraterrestrial feline crash lands near Palmdale (hey, isn't that were Frank Zappa hung out before he became famous?), and the cat has to enlist the aid of Ken Berry, Sandy Duncan, and Mclean Stevenson to help him get enough gold to fix his communication/navigation system. The movie also has Harry Morgan (both he and Stevenson seem to be basically playing their MASH characters here) and Roddy MacDowell (which if you're keeping score means I've seen three different Disney pictures with Roddy in them in the last week). Good fun, movie.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar

Saw it today.

I haven't seen this, but it cracks me up that there are a lot of people who are REALLY upset that the movie doesn't show Aldrin planting the US flag in the moon's surface, but only shows it on the surface once it's already been planted.
    Last edited by JKL2000; 10-19-2018 at 07:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I haven't seen this, but it cracks me up that there are a lot of people who are REALLY upset that the movie doesn't show them planting the US flag in the moon's surface, but only show it on the surface once it's already been planted.

As I was walking out of the theater while the credits were rolling, the guy behind me said to his friend, "where was the flag?", so you're right, Jed.

I haven't seen this, but it cracks me up that there are a lot of people who are REALLY upset that the movie doesn't show Aldrin planting the US flag in the moon's surface, but only shows it on the surface once it's already been planted.
    I concur, it's bullshit. They should have shown charging across the lunar landscape on a set that obviously has gravity, with blaster bolts shooting across the screen from right and left, with a big black monolith on the horizon and Cylon Raiders flying overhead.

One more thing re Demon Seed:

The musical score included "electronic performances" by Ian Underwood (who Wikipedia is most famous for working with James Horner, though I associate Ian with that Frank Zappa guy) and Lee Ritenour. Would love to know what exactly Ritenour did on that project, given that he's a guitarist. Did he use some early guitar synth, or what?

And Robert Vaughan, uncredited, natch, did the voice of Proteus IV, the computer that abducts Julie Christie.

They should have cast Baker Mayfield in the role. They wouldn't have had a problem.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Here is a review of First Man:

Out of this world
    First Man
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

As I was walking out of the theater while the credits were rolling, the guy behind me said to his friend, "where was the flag?", so you're right, Jed.
    So stupid. Much ado about less than nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    One more thing re Demon Seed:

The musical score included "electronic performances" by Ian Underwood (who Wikipedia is most famous for working with James Horner, though I associate Ian with that Frank Zappa guy) and Lee Ritenour. Would love to know what exactly Ritenour did on that project, given that he's a guitarist. Did he use some early guitar synth, or what?
    Yes, he did.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Yes, he did.

Ah, the SynthAxe...

And for the record, I actually like it!