Page 54 of 399 FirstFirst ... 44450515253545556575864104154 ... LastLast
Results 1,326 to 1,350 of 9952

Thread: Movies - Take Two. Action!

though obviously the best film is the shining

I'd go Shawshank Redemption or The Dead Zone for favorites.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Went out to watch Mission Impossible 6: Fallout on a big screen. Hell of an action flick. The 007 film people will have trouble topping this. But they will try. They never let the fact that there are no more Ian Fleming books to work from stop them from making money on the cash cow that is action movies.

How much more action than MI6 can there be?

None more action.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    Went out to watch Mission Impossible 6: Fallout on a big screen. Hell of an action flick. The 007 film people will have trouble topping this. But they will try. They never let the fact that there are no more Ian Fleming books to work from stop them from making money on the cash cow that is action movies.

How much more action than MI6 can there be?

None more action.
    That was an excellent action movie. I was surprised how much I enjoyed that one.

Malevolent
    Caught this on netflix last week. A brother and sister team up to scam people in England by ridding their homes from ghosts.
    Trouble ensues when they take on a job in Scotland, of a home that truly has evil spirits there. Pretty well done, and kept my
    attention throughout. Good Halloween flick.

Truth or Dare

This was not the semi recent release from Blumhouse. I think it was from 2016. Same premise. College kids visit abandoned home where multiple suicides occurred.
    Start playing game. Game intensifies. Game takes over. Kids flee, but cannot get clear of the game. You have to make it through three rounds and do all the dares
    in the allotted time. If you don't complete the dare, or refuse, the dare kills you.Kids desperately look for a way out. This was much better than I expected. Pretty
    much is action from beginning to end. Another one worth a view!
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Bad Samaritan - pretty decent murderous psychopath movie, set in Oregon.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

1922--Stephen King adaptation from his novella. Pretty good.

The Haunting of Julia or Full Circle--Mia Farrow haunted by the death of her daughter. Well made on YT.

I've been watching early 70s made for TV horror/thrillers on Youtube the past week.

Crawlspace (1972) 8/10
    Something Evil (1972) 7/10 This was Spielbergs third film after Duel and Night Gallery.
    When Michael Calls (1972) 6/10 Starring Ben Gazzara and a very young Michael Douglas
    Crowhaven Farm (1970) 7/10
    The Night Stalker (1972) 6/10
    The Night Strangler (1973) 5/10
    Gargoyles (1972) 5/10
    The Devils Daughter (1973) 6/10

Also the GhostStory/Circle of Fear Tv series that ran for one season in 72/73

Many of these I fondly remember from when I was a kid with my mom.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Movies are great. LOL! And actors are certainly not stupid, contrary to what Jerry Seinfeld might think (at least when considering red-carpet/high-profile ones, at least in this one comedy acceptance speech of his for some comedy award, a speech in which he talked about such high-profile/Hollywood-type actors, whatever that means, it's probably still on youtube).
    LOL!
    Sorry if this made no sense. Gotta go, cheers.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hippypants View Post
    1922--Stephen King adaptation from his novella. Pretty good.

The Haunting of Julia or Full Circle--Mia Farrow haunted by the death of her daughter. Well made on YT.
    I just watched 1922 because you mentioned it - I'd been meaning to watch it. I liked it. I'd read the novella, and AFAICR it did a pretty good job, however as always there was even more great narration in the novella that wasn't in this - though I guess they could only work in so much. I also think the novella didn't have that same last scene, I think that was the screenwriter/director's idea. But it's been a while. The collection, "Full Dark, No Stars," was mostly excellent (one throwaway, less serious story), and I recommend it.

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    I've been watching early 70s made for TV horror/thrillers on Youtube the past week.

Crawlspace (1972) 8/10
    Something Evil (1972) 7/10 This was Spielbergs third film after Duel and Night Gallery.
    When Michael Calls (1972) 6/10 Starring Ben Gazzara and a very young Michael Douglas
    Crowhaven Farm (1970) 7/10
    The Night Stalker (1972) 6/10
    The Night Strangler (1973) 5/10
    Gargoyles (1972) 5/10
    The Devils Daughter (1973) 6/10

Also the GhostStory/Circle of Fear Tv series that ran for one season in 72/73

Many of these I fondly remember from when I was a kid with my mom.
    Loved Gargoyles (saw it a couple of times) and also liked Crawlspace (I have it on a DVD-R around here somewhere). Another good one was "A Cold Night's Death," about researchers experimenting with monkeys in an arctic lab.

Years ago I watched this on tv, because the Colin Towns-soundtrack is one of my favorite albums. And I read Peter Straub's novel.
    Lately I found a quite bad DVD-version, but still, the music, the atmosphere... I loved it:

Pacific Rim

Seen under the worst possible conditions: a tiny little screen on the back of the airplane seat in front of me, through tinny cheap headphones. I still enjoyed the hell out of it.

You won't need your brain for this one though.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    Years ago I watched this on tv, because the Colin Towns-soundtrack is one of my favorite albums. And I read Peter Straub's novel.
    Lately I found a quite bad DVD-version, but still, the music, the atmosphere... I loved it:

SPOILERS:

------------------------------

I didn't read the book, but I was curious about certain aspects of the movie. I assumed Julia killer her daughter accidently by slitting open her throat to dislodge what she was choking on?

I didn't quite get the whole witch angle other than that may have been why all the spooky stuff was occurring in the place she was renting or did the book bring out more on that?

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I just watched 1922 because you mentioned it - I'd been meaning to watch it. I liked it. I'd read the novella, and AFAICR it did a pretty good job, however as always there was even more great narration in the novella that wasn't in this - though I guess they could only work in so much. I also think the novella didn't have that same last scene, I think that was the screenwriter/director's idea. But it's been a while. The collection, "Full Dark, No Stars," was mostly excellent (one throwaway, less serious story), and I recommend it.
    It's good, but "1922" is far and away the best thing in there, and while its ending is just okay, it still contains one of the most gruesome kill scenes I think has ever been written outside of Joe Lansdale.

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    It's good, but "1922" is far and away the best thing in there, and while its ending is just okay, it still contains one of the most gruesome kill scenes I think has ever been written outside of Joe Lansdale.
    I thought the story "Big Driver" was also very good. I've seen a lot of people mention Joe Lansdale, but I'm not into gruesome unless it's "justified" by the kind of quality writing King provides. Is Lansdale really that good? Or is his writing just gruesome?

Lansdale varies as he's written many books. I'd start with The Bottoms, and follow your muse after that.

Just saw a trailer for a Horror flick called Overlord. Looks like a wild ride.

Deadly Friend: Wes Craven flick from circa 1986. After a teenage girl (played by Kristy Swanson, the original Buffy The Vampire Slayer) is accidentally killed by her abusive father, the equally teenage robotics geek next door plants a microchip inside her brain that revives her. Unfortunately, it also causes her to go on a killing spree. Pretty good movie, but if you don't like gory movies, you might want to avert your eyes when she throws the basketball at Anne Ramsey. Better than I remembered it being from when I saw back when I was myself a teenager. Don't like the electronic music score. I mean, it was 1986, so of it course it's gonna sound garishly digital. But everything else in this picture is pretty good. Apparently, they hired a mime coach to teach Kristy Swanson how to perform her character's post mortem scenes.

SPOILERS:

------------------------------

I didn't read the book, but I was curious about certain aspects of the movie. I assumed Julia killer her daughter accidently by slitting open her throat to dislodge what she was choking on?

I didn't quite get the whole witch angle other than that may have been why all the spooky stuff was occurring in the place she was renting or did the book bring out more on that?
    It's been quite a while ago since I read the book, but from what I remember it was less unclear than the movie. But the "killing" of her daughter was indeed more an accident - trying to save her from suffocating.
    But the real spooky stuff came from the house and its past, which seemed to play tricks with its current inhabitants...

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    Pacific Rim

Seen under the worst possible conditions: a tiny little screen on the back of the airplane seat in front of me, through tinny cheap headphones. I still enjoyed the hell out of it.

You won't need your brain for this one though.
    This one was fun. However, the sequel is not even close to the original.
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

I love Pacific Rim. Simple story of Gundam-style robos vs. kaiju, with beautiful cinematography and a cool score by Ramin Djawadi. Can't go wrong with that!

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    I love Pacific Rim. Simple story of Gundam-style robos vs. kaiju, with beautiful cinematography and a cool score by Ramin Djawadi. Can't go wrong with that!
    It definitely satisfied my giant monsters itch.

It Follows

Watched this again last night and it's become a Halloween staple in Casa de Klonk. Love it! If anyone hasn't seen it yet, the name of the movie pretty much sums it up. I'm a sucker for 80's style stuff and this does that well. Cool idea too!
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    It Follows

Watched this again last night and it's become a Halloween staple in Casa de Klonk. Love it! If anyone hasn't seen it yet, the name of the movie pretty much sums it up. I'm a sucker for 80's style stuff and this does that well. Cool idea too!
    Love this movie. It actually requires that you pay attention. Nice score, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    It Follows

Yes!

It Follows is my favorite horror film from the past ten years.

Amazing soundtrack and that lead actress was perfect!

That tall man scene really got me
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Watched Mandy last night, completely bonkers revenge flick with overacting Nick Cage perfectly case. Totally bizarre.
    Last edited by NogbadTheBad; 10-15-2018 at 08:12 AM.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.