Page 50 of 394 FirstFirst ... 4046474849505152535460100150 ... LastLast
Results 1,226 to 1,250 of 9833

Thread: Movies - Take Two. Action!

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Wild Things is just a damn good B-movie, utterly outrageous but damn most of that plot worked. And it had Bill Murray as the ultimate strip-mall lawyer. And for the ladies, Kevin Bacon's dingus.
    Agreed! Bill Murray steals the show in this one. Although, some might think Bacon's dingus does. Bacon's Dingus -- we just got a new band name for someone!

Puts a whole new spin on "6 degrees of Kevin Bacon".
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    I couldn't tell you what's a good or bad "lesbian scene". I'm that highly evolved...
    That's one explanation.

I do I liked Vampyros Lesbos.
    Is that the one with Delphine Seyrig? I remember her doing a movie like that and doing a lot of nudity in it, too.

Or did she play Elizabeth Bathory in some movie?

I used to have a book on movie vampires. Apparently, in the early to mid '70s, there were more than a few lesbian vampire movies made and this book had quite a few pictures from them. As a 16 year old, I found this book very interesting. I'd still have it if my mother, bless her, hadn't decided to leaf through it and then throw it away.

She could be a bit puritanical. The album We're An American Band had a photo inside of Grand Funk in the nude. You couldn't see anything but my dear mother gave them swimming trunks with a magic marker. lol It wasn't funny then.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

[QUOTE=Hal...;843583]
    That's one explanation.
    In fact, I'm so highly evolved, I keep forgetting to proof read my posts.
    Is that the one with Delphine Seyrig? I remember her doing a movie like that and doing a lot of nudity in it, too.

Or did she play Elizabeth Bathory in some movie?
    (Checking Wikipedia) That might be Daughters Of Darkness you're thinking of.

Apparently, in the early to mid '70s, there were more than a few lesbian vampire movies
    Yeah, I remember another one called Vampyres. And in more recent movies like Embrace The Darkness, there's a goodly amount of girl on girl action too.

Incidentally, Wikipedia has a list of LGBT related horror films, which includes Daughters Of Darkness, Vampyres, Vampyros Lesbos, as well as things like Prey, A Nightmare On Elm Street II, The Rocky Horror Picture Show, Profundo Rosso and Tenebrae. Those last two are Dario Argento films, featuring scores by Goblin (well, Tenebrae's score was done by "former members of Goblin", as the band proper had broken up by then, and the musicians who did the score didn't own the rights to the band name).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catego...d_horror_films

(Checking Wikipedia) That might be Daughters Of Darkness you're thinking of.
    That's the one. Incidentally, Delphine Seyrig is in two of my favorite movies: Last Year at Marienbad and The Day of the Jackal.

Last night, I finished watching Blood From The Mummy's Tomb, an early 70's Hammer picture, about the daughter of an Egyptologist who bears an uncanny resemblance to the Egyptian queen her father found in a tomb 20 years ago. When people around them start dying, it becomes apparent something hinky is going on.

Watching the movie, I realized it bore more than a slight resemblance to a later American movie called The Awakening, which had Charleton Heston, Susannah York and Stephanie Zimbalist in it). I thought maybe the Heston vehicle had been a "cheap knock off" of the Hammer picture, but according to Wikipedia, they're both adapted from the same Bram Stoker novel. THat must have been why TCM showed both on the same night (at least I think they showed them both on the same night, this was a year ago when I recorded them on the DVR, and I watched The Awakening back then and then erased it, but anyway...).

Blood From The Mummy's Tomb was a good atmospheric picture, exactly the kind of thing you expect from Hammer. The actress who plays the Egyptologist's daughter is Valerie Leon, apparently this is one of her few lead roles, I have say she's totally hot. I was trying to figure out where I might have seen her before. Wikipedia says she was in Never Say Never Again, apparently the lady fisherman who Bond bumps into both before and after his nearly fatal scuba diving trip with Fatima Blush.

The Awakening, as I recall, wasn't as good. It does have some rather imaginative ways of dispatching the people who die (one guy gets hanged by a rope that somehow coils around his neck when workers removing the sarcophagus from the tomb lose control of their equipment, another is struck by a car, gets thrown over that vehicle and is then literally thrown under a bus), but the rest of it was lameness. Charleton Heston, in particular, I remember being pretty bad. He's supposed to be playing an English professorial type, but can't do the accent. And the ending was really lame.

That was really disappointing, as i remember when this movie came out, I remember the ad on the back cover of whichever issue of Starlog, thinking 'This looks like it might be a good movie". I might have liked it better when I was 7 years old, I think I might have been less discriminating about movies back then.

There's a lot of Hammer horror on Amazon video.

I watched Burn Witch Burn (1960) and City of the Dead (1960) aka Horror Hotel recently.

Love Hammer!
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post

Love Hammer!
    Me too. I still say Christopher Lee was the definitive Dracula.

The Devil Rides Out is the best non-Dracula/vampire, Christopher Lee-starring, Hammer horror film.

I remember really liking Quartermass And The Pit. I'd like to see this one again...may just go on a Hammer binge now!
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    may just go on a Hammer binge now!
    Everything in moderation, sir!
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    ...may just go on a Hammer binge now!

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    I liked him better as an Oakland A's batboy.
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

"Can't touch this"

Banned
    Wow I'm late to the party but since I see Monty Python and the Holy Grail mentioned right off the bat I have to chime in with Life of Brian - the best MP movie on every level (John Cleeese agrees) and a film I never tire of.

Speaking of Horror Movies, is anyone looking forward to the remake of Suspiria? The original was an intersting stylish flick with an atmoshphere all it's own with Goblin doing the soundtrack music, of course. This time Radiohead singer Thom Yorke composed the score. First reviews don't look particularly promising...

Quote Originally Posted by Buddhabreath View Post
    Speaking of Horror Movies, is anyone looking forward to the remake of Suspiria? The original was an intersting stylish flick with an atmoshphere all it's own with Goblin doing the soundtrack music, of course. This time Radiohead singer Thom Yorke composed the score. First reviews don't look particularly promising...
    I'm pretty hesitant about this one as the original is one of my favorites. I suffer from remakeitis.

We're ready for any B&W horror TCM has queued up for October. I love those classics from the 30s.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Buddhabreath View Post
    Wow I'm late to the party but since I see Monty Python and the Holy Grail mentioned right off the bat I have to chime in with Life of Brian - the best MP movie on every level (John Cleeese agrees) and a film I never tire of.
    Been a long time since I've seen it. Is that the one where George Harrison has a walk on role? I remember watching a documentary about the Pythons back in the late 80's and there was line about George being given "The much coveted role of 13th disciple" or something liek that. Michael Palin later recycled the "much coveted role of..." line on his Around The WOrld The World In 80 Days travelogue program.

The main thing I remember (besides the end) were the aliens who appear briefly, after Brain falls off the tower.
    This has "bad idea' written all over it. The original is a classic, there's no way anyone's gonna be able to trump Don Argento. I mean, you might as well do a remake of Psycho. Or Solaris. Or The Lady Killers. Or The Pink Panther! Or Priscilla, Queen Of The Desert! Or do a modernized, comedic take on Hamlet, set in Toronto, circa 1982!

Oh, wait. Yeah, never mind.

For you fellers enamored with Bacon's Dingus, there was Bacon's Buttocks being spanked in Animal House.
    "Thank you sir, may I have another?!"

Just bringin' home the bacon.....
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Been a long time since I've seen it. Is that the one where George Harrison has a walk on role? I remember watching a documentary about the Pythons back in the late 80's and there was line about George being given "The much coveted role of 13th disciple" or something liek that. Michael Palin later recycled the "much coveted role of..." line on his Around The WOrld The World In 80 Days travelogue program.

The main thing I remember (besides the end) were the aliens who appear briefly, after Brain falls off the tower.

This has "bad idea' written all over it. The original is a classic, there's no way anyone's gonna be able to trump Don Argento. I mean, you might as well do a remake of Psycho. Or Solaris. Or The Lady Killers. Or The Pink Panther! Or Priscilla, Queen Of The Desert! Or do a modernized, comedic take on Hamlet, set in Toronto, circa 1982!

Regarding George Harrison and Python, it was Life of Brian where he had a walk on part. Harrison had bailed out the pythons when the movie was having problems getting the budget together, and his Handmade Films company ended up financing the movie.

Harrison has a very quick 'blink and you will miss it' cameo where he is introduced to Brian as the man arranging the sermon on the mount for them. Harrison gets one line...'Hello', in a somewhat comically dubbed fashion.
    I only clicked on it because I thought it was going to be something more interesting...

Banned

Rogue Mail beat me to the punch on Life of Brian. Indeed George rescued the project even putting up his estate as collateral. I believe when asked why he said something like "I wanted to see the finished film". The aliens are the least of it - it's full of witty, hilarious and incisive dialogue. You should re-visit it.

I tend to agree with you about Suspira but I will probably watch it at some point out of curiosity and hope for the best. I would be more enthusiastic if they had let Goblin do a new soundtrack. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by hippypants View Post
    Hereditary was the best horror film of 2018.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

The original is a classic, there's no way anyone's gonna be able to trump Don Argento.
    Is Don Argento a contemporary of Cletus Fulci?