Page 105 of 394 FirstFirst ... 55595101102103104105106107108109115155205 ... LastLast
Results 2,601 to 2,625 of 9828

Thread: Movies - Take Two. Action!

Classic! Probably my favorite Eastwood Western. I pretty much love them all though.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Don't let your meatloaf! Paulie's Avatar
    Papillon:

I saw it in the theater when I was 10. I blame that movie for my obsession with Polynesian women to this day.

BTW, does anyone remember the final overhead (helecopter) shot as the credits are rolling where you can actually see a scuba diver under the raft as he's paddling to freedom? I've always assumed this was an underwater cameraman filming footage that was never used.
    "That gum you like is going to come back in style."

Quote Originally Posted by hippypants View Post
    High Plains Drifter--western, modeled after the spaghetti westerns and directed by Eastwood. He gets hired to protect the town from three outlaws that are headed to the town, but the town harbors a secret. Many of the town people can't be relied on either. Fun western.
    Fantastic spooky soundtrack to that film also.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

I like where he makes the citizens paint the town red and name it Hell.

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    Classic! Probably my favorite Eastwood Western. I pretty much love them all though.
    same here!

Quote Originally Posted by Paulie View Post
    Papillon:

I saw it in the theater when I was 10. I blame that movie for my obsession with Polynesian women to this day.

BTW, does anyone remember the final overhead (helecopter) shot as the credits are rolling where you can actually see a scuba diver under the raft as he's paddling to freedom? I've always assumed this was an underwater cameraman filming footage that was never used.
    never noticed the scuba diver before...
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    never noticed the scuba diver before...
    Neither did I so I jumped on over to YT and of course there it was...

he was probably just there keeping the star safe
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

High Plains Drifter--western, modeled after the spaghetti westerns and directed by Eastwood. He gets hired to protect the town from three outlaws that are headed to the town, but the town harbors a secret. Many of the town people can't be relied on either. Fun western.
    Definitely a favorite here as well, although depending on the day I could say the same about Pale Rider, Outlaw JW, Hang 'em High, or Unforgiven. If I catch any one of these on live tv I'll either sit and watch or dig out the dvd shortly after.
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    he was probably just there keeping the star safe
    Maybe to keep the raft oriented to camara instead of spinning. Plus by that time Pappi was old and might not have survived a dunking.

Quote Originally Posted by proggy_jazzer View Post
    Definitely a favorite here as well, although depending on the day I could say the same about Pale Rider, Outlaw JW, Hang 'em High, or Unforgiven. If I catch any one of these on live tv I'll either sit and watch or dig out the dvd shortly after.
    Outlaw Josey Wales was on AMC the other day. I watched the last half , I timed the commercials , 5 minutes of film , 4 minutes of commercial , in an endless cycle. Nevrer again will I watch anything on AMC.

COMET TV is advertising........ Dr. Goldfoot And The Bikini Machine......

Starring Vincent Price and Frankie Avalon.

I wanna say I saw this film as a kid. All those beach movies were loads of fun back then.

Quote Originally Posted by nycsteve View Post
    Outlaw Josey Wales was on AMC the other day. I watched the last half , I timed the commercials , 5 minutes of film , 4 minutes of commercial , in an endless cycle. Nevrer again will I watch anything on AMC.
    I hear ya. I won't watch anything on those channels unless I DVR it to skip through all those commercials. It's crazy!

Western fans, you've got to check out The Sisters brothers (2018) starring Joaquin Phoenix ,John C. Reilly and Jake Gyllenhaal .

This film got zero promotion and I stumbled upon it on Amazon Prime video.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4971344/
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    COMET TV is advertising........ Dr. Goldfoot And The Bikini Machine......

Starring Vincent Price and Frankie Avalon.

I wanna say I saw this film as a kid. All those beach movies were loads of fun back then.
    There's a sequel, Doctor Goldfoot and the Girl Bombs, with Fabian instead of Frankie Avalon.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    Western fans, you've got to check out The Sisters brothers (2018) starring Joaquin Phoenix ,John C. Reilly and Jake Gyllenhaal .

Cool...I saw this on there a couple days ago and was curious.

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post

Speaking of films that got no promo... Has anyone here ever seen The Wizard of Speed and Time? A stone classic that has, alas, not yet been (and probably never will be) released on DVD. I have to convert my old VHS. It's the story of a special effects named Mike Jittlov (played by Mike Jittlov) who is being screwed by an evil producer, but gets his revenge through special effects. The first time I saw it I had to pause twice to go to the bathroom lest I wet myself laughing.

The sad thing is that Mike Jittlov gets not one cent from the sale of this film ... because he was screwed by an evil producer. His only revenge in real life is to encourage bootlegging of the film.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Quote Originally Posted by proggy_jazzer View Post
    Definitely a favorite here as well, although depending on the day I could say the same about Pale Rider, Outlaw JW, Hang 'em High, or Unforgiven.
    I never really got into Unforgiven. I love Pale Rider and The Outlaw Josey Wales.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Besides being a great western, High Plains Drifter may be the only movie filmed on the north shore of Mono Lake, California. Genius location. A friend's family had a summer cabin in the area, and they watched while they burned down the "town" movie set.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulie View Post

More likely, the diver is actually pulling the raft forward, or to keep the raft orientated in relation to the camera so they could get the shot the director wanted.

Clint's best western, IMO. I love the theme.

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    Speaking of films that got no promo... Has anyone here ever seen The Wizard of Speed and Time? A stone classic that has, alas, not yet been (and probably never will be) released on DVD. I have to convert my old VHS. It's the story of a special effects named Mike Jittlov (played by Mike Jittlov) who is being screwed by an evil producer, but gets his revenge through special effects. The first time I saw it I had to pause twice to go to the bathroom lest I wet myself laughing.

The sad thing is that Mike Jittlov gets not one cent from the sale of this film ... because he was screwed by an evil producer. His only revenge in real life is to encourage bootlegging of the film.
    Saw that back in the '80s...once. Blast from the past.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    I like where he makes the citizens paint the town red and name it Hell.
    "Even the church?"

"Especially the church."

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post

Yeah, fun flick, here it is on The Tube

NW: Alienator......Starring Jan Michael Vincent......

It's 80s bullshit, cheap sci-fi.
    Last edited by Vic2012; 03-22-2019 at 09:38 PM.

Okay, I caved and watched The Dirt. I had to - the eleven year old me with his Shout At The Devil tape in his walkman needed some nostalgic fluff. You can judge, I understand.

It was hard to take Ramsay Bolton seriously as Mick Mars, but I thought the guy who played Tommy Lee was great. It was an enjoyable watch that I will never be repeating.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***