Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Flower Kings/Kaipa recommendations please

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    As I posted earlier I am also a fan of "Rainmaker", but if you look on sites like "Rate Your Music" the album comes in dead last which I have always found strange. Many Flower Kings fans (including myself) complain that many of their albums are too long and have a significant amount of filler. "Rainmaker" is one of the few albums where they did prune things down and for me it contains no filler. True, most of the songs are short in comparison to the FK epics, but for me it has always worked as one of their better overall albums.
    I haven't heard all of their albums, but of the ones I have, The Rainmaker is easily last/least liked, so I'd go along with that RYM assessment. Retropolis would be right above it, and those are the only 2 FK albums that I would consider outright weak. Like a plurality on this thread, Space Revolver is for me their best.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    As I posted earlier I am also a fan of "Rainmaker", but if you look on sites like "Rate Your Music" the album comes in dead last which I have always found strange. Many Flower Kings fans (including myself) complain that many of their albums are too long and have a significant amount of filler. "Rainmaker" is one of the few albums where they did prune things down and for me it contains no filler. True, most of the songs are short in comparison to the FK epics, but for me it has always worked as one of their better overall albums.
    I agree with all your points here and yes, one of the big attractions for me on this recording is the fact that these songs are moderate in length as opposed to past offerings. I have little issue with their past output, I just found this to be an interesting change.
    The older I get, the better I was.

Just because Rainmaker is last doesn't mean it's bad. TFK has been pretty consistent in quality over the years, IMO.
    <sig out of order>

I would say the one other thing that I find slightly irritating about the Hans Lundin Kaipa is his decision to often solo by using a keyboard sound that mimics a screaming electric guitar. I like guitars to do the guitar work and keys to use a wider array of sounds. Honestly, with Per Nilson in the group, the guitar is more than covered as he provides solos that are as tasty as Roine Stolt.
    Last edited by Splicer; 07-09-2018 at 06:01 AM.

Well, I'll agree with everyone about Space Revolver. It seems like a really good introduction, as it really has everything they do. I still really don't care for the short acoustic track "You Don't Know What You've Got", though it does serve as a calm respite between the bombastic prog of the other tracks.

My personal favorite is Retropolis, which is actually their shortest album prior to Banks Of Eden and Desolation Rose. I think it's mainly my favorite because it was the first one I heard, but for me it's still a perfect album, hitting all my Prog buttons and not having any "lesser" tracks, IMO (it also is largely made up of music Roine wrote in the 70's and 80's, hence the name). I think their absolute best of their entire catalog is Unfold The Future, but that's probably not the one to start with as it is just SO MUCH music (if you get the one with the bonus track, which you definitely should, it's more than 2 hours long!).

I think everything they've done is good to varying extents, with my least favorites being Adam&Eve, Rainmaker (this one has grown on me a lot over the years, but it was disappointing coming after Space Revolver and followed up by Unfold) and Banks of Eden. Like I said, still good albums, but ones I don't enjoy quite as much.

Kaipa, I'll be honest that I find the 70's albums a bit dull. They are very mellow and medium to slow paced. Also, while I prefer Italian bands and Spanish Bands, etc. to sing in their native language, I don't really feel that Swedish works very well with rock based music, personally (Anglagard did a pretty good job with it on their first album though). The bonus tracks in English on my Kaipa albums are even worse though, so take that for whatever it's worth. The "new" Kaipa is pretty samey album to album, but I like some of it. Keyholder is the best, I'd say, so if you don't like it there's no point in going further. If you do, you probably still won't need them all, but I do like a couple of the more recent albums and I have zero problems with the vocals (though sometimes when both vocalists are singing, it can start to grate on me a bit). They are borderline cheesy at times though.

My only other comment is that I have that New Grove Project CD and I find the vocals on that beyond awful. The music really isn't that interesting to me personally, though it's not bad. Of course, Roine's playing is great on it as always, as is Par Lindh's, but I always feel like they are the only reason anyone would ever bother with it (which is probably true). I believe it was a favor to an old friend that Roine played on it and helped with the recording. They actually released a second album in 2005, without Roine's participation. I wonder how many here even knew about it, let alone bought it?

Quote Originally Posted by Splicer View Post
    I would say the one other thing that I find slightly irritating about the Hans Lundin Kaipa is his decision to often solo by using a keyboard sound that mimics a screaming electric guitar. I like guitars to do the guitar work and keys to use a wider array of sounds. Honestly, with Per Nilson in the group, the guitar is more than covered as he provides solos that are as tasty as Roine Stolt.
    You know, when Notes From the Past first came out, I thought that was totally awesome that a lot of what I initially thought was guitar was the keys. However, I listened to that album recently and I have to say that that lead guitar keyboard sound comes close to ruining the album for me now. It's on every tune, in excessive amounts. When Roine does take a solo (and there really aren't many of them, I realized), it's like a huge relief. But then, 30 seconds later it's back.

Profondo Giallo Crystal Plumage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by infandous View Post
    They actually released a second album in 2005, without Roine's participation. I wonder how many here even knew about it, let alone bought it?
    I heard it and it's definitely not on par with the first one. It has John Bollenberg on vocals, who isn't the best singer, but a great fellow though, who released "If Only Stones Could Speak" on which, lo and behold, Roine plays some guitar (also many other Prog alumni including Jordan Rudess).
    HuGo
    "Very, very nice," said a man in the crowd,
    When the golden voice appeared.
    She was gold alright, but then so is rust.
    "Such a shame about the beard."

And don't forget to check out Swedish Family. It's got Roine and Tomas all over it:

Roine on Bass and guitar, Tomas on keys and percussion, Hasse Bruniusson on drums, Ulf Wallander on saxes

And if you like the weirder side of Prog, you should check out Hasse Bruniusson's Flying Food Circus. On the CD it's all Roine and on the DVD the guitar player does quite a few Stolt-y things and Roine makes a cameo. Here's the trailer for the DVD (Roine's @ 0:28):

I have this DVD, but still have to find the CD..
    HuGo

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    I forgot to mention: if you like Weather Report check out 3rd World Electric.
    I remember reading many moons ago that there was going to be a follow up to this. Did that ever come out? and if not, is it still in the plans?
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobo Chang Ba View Post
    I remember reading many moons ago that there was going to be a follow up to this. Did that ever come out? and if not, is it still in the plans?
    There was talk of a follow up at the time (and also of live shows) but it never happened and there doesn't seem to be anything in the works.

A lot of Flower Kings side/solo projects always contain bits and pieces that either sound like ideas from previous TFK sessions that didn't gel or were edited because they didn't fit the length. I hear motifs or variations on them that I've heard on TFK albums. Some are likely parts of jams or fleshed out demos. The first Karmakanic album has the sound of unused TFK material as do many of Tomas Bodin's solo records.
    Mongrel dog soils actor's feet

Does Flying Food Circus count? That is one great CD, actually one of my personal favorites-period-featuring Ronnie Schnooltz, and the sonics/production is absolute stellar imo. Great, Swedish-vibe album, not too far off from something the Late, great Lars Hollmer would make. I will say that this album is light years better in every imaginable aspect than the new Sea Without album. IMO of course.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

I never realized the DVD and CD were not the same. Are these two entirely different recordings?
    <sig out of order>

I never realized the DVD and CD were not the same. Are these two entirely different recordings?
    Yeah - I don't own the DVD but here is the line-up:

Hasse Bruniusson / drums
    Håkan Almkvist / bass
    Erik Lindholm / keyboards
    Bobbo Andersson / guitar

Exactly. It's live in the studio. It's with some goofing around in between songs as you'd expect from Hasse. Also some great extras from Hasse's private collection (solo stuff mainly)
    HuGo

The Rainmaker has some classic material on it. Last Minute on Earth, World Without a Heart, Road to Sanctuary, City of Angels, and Serious Dreamers are all great.

Quote Originally Posted by Crystal Plumage View Post
    Exactly. It's live in the studio. It's with some goofing around in between songs as you'd expect from Hasse. Also some great extras from Hasse's private collection (solo stuff mainly)
    Which are you referring to? The CD or DVD? Or both?
    <sig out of order>

Which are you referring to? The CD or DVD? Or both?
    I think he's talking about the DVD - the CD is just tunes.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    I think he's talking about the DVD - the CD is just tunes.
    Okay, that makes sense. I might be daft though - I still don't think one of my questions has been answered. Are they both the same "live in the studio" performance or is one actually a (normal) studio recording?
    <sig out of order>

Good question!

With such a large selection to chose from both old and contemporary, you owe it to yourself to do your own personal venture into their music, obviously, you can see how polarized people's opinions are, right down to keyboard generated guitar tones, Aleena Gibson's vocals, etc.etc.

Decide for yourself what music you like from the bands. As they offer a variety of styles some similar, and some not so.

I like the more instrumental offerings, so yes, Space Revolver is right up there for me, as well as all the Karmakanics, newer Kaipa is nice for me as well, love the guitars, drums and bass, vocals. It's music that tickles the senses in many ways.

Try it all!

Somehow, solo projects of TFK members are more interesting for me that TFK itself. I like most of Karmakanic or Tomas Bodin, while TFK doesn't resonate with me at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Crystal Plumage View Post
    And don't forget to check out Swedish Family. It's got Roine and Tomas all over it:

Roine on Bass and guitar, Tomas on keys and percussion, Hasse Bruniusson on drums, Ulf Wallander on saxes
    My cd copy of Vintage Prog comes in a very thin paper sleeve, without even space for the title on a spine. Is that how they all are?

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SRS View Post
    There was talk of a follow up at the time (and also of live shows) but it never happened and there doesn't seem to be anything in the works.
    Sad to hear. I thought it had potential. But thanks for the update.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.