Thread: Sweetwater the Band

Sweetwater the Band

Good Morning Folks~

A big Thank You out to Geezer/Steve for the somewhat recent chatter here regarding the band Sweetwater. The band went on my list of things to check out, which I did, and in turn received the CD yesterday. A proper listening session will take place this evening...but last evening I found a film over at YouTube about the band. Very interesting watch indeed and highly recommended as it shows the 'human-ness' of, the interplay, the struggles, disappointments, and as well the oft joy that can be found as contributing overall musicians. It was a bit sad in overall story!

Well worth a couple of hours of ones interested time for sure!

Carry On
    Chris Buckley

Funny aside:

When I saw the movie "Almost Famous," which features the exploits of a groupie (Kate Hudson) trying to ingratiate herself with a touring rock band, I thought the band in the movie was Sweetwater.

Turns out the fictional band is Stillwater, and was based on Cameron Crowe's time with the Allman Brothers Band.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Funny aside:

When I saw the movie "Almost Famous," which features the exploits of a groupie (Kate Hudson) trying to ingratiate herself with a touring rock band, I thought the band in the movie was Sweetwater.

Turns out the fictional band is Stillwater, and was based on Cameron Crowe's time with the Allman Brothers Band.
    I had exactly the same thought. Love that movie. As for Sweetwater I have no clue who they are...perhaps the OP could post more info?

Thanks, Chris! Glad you like them.

Sweetwater was the very first band to hit the stage at Woodstock '69 (right after Richie Havens opened because Sweetwater got stuck in traffic & was late getting there)) and were not widely known at all. They played an amazing set and took off from there.

The back story of Nansi Nevins, their great singer is, tragic indeed. She had (what turned out to blissfully be only temporary) brain damage from a horrible auto accident a few mos. after Woodstock, but she still has vocal chord damage. Even so, she did a reunion gig w/2 other original members at Woodstock '94.

I play their s/t album a lot to this day.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

They had been signed to Reprise Records (during the short late 60's/early 70's time when it seemed like a cutting edge rock label) and put out their first album prior to Woodstock. A few months after Woodstock the frontwoman Nevins was in a car crash with a drunk driver and the oxygen used to keep her alive damaged her vocal cords. The band tried to move on with her in a minimized role but it didn't work. However, she recovered enough to do some low key gigging with and without the band in later years.