Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Psychadelic Song of All Time?

Banned

Favorite Psychadelic Song of All Time?

OK gang, apologizes if this has been done but I can't resist:

What is your favorite psychedelic song of all time? Doesn't have to rock. The Tibetan Monks are contenders in my book. For me it's gotta be Tomorrow Never Knows. I'm referring to The original, although there have been some great remakes. Somebody mentioned the fantastic Brian Eno/801 version. I also like the version by Monsoon even if it's a bit on the pop side.

I look forward to your responses, I might change my mind or discover a new psychedelic jewel...

Definitely not the best psychedelic music technically, instrumentally or vocally, but the long version of "Time Has Come Today" by the Chambers Bros. is for me, what that shit's all about.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    Definitely not the best psychedelic music technically, instrumentally or vocally, but the long version of "Time Has Come Today" by the Chambers Bros. is for me, what that shit's all about.
    That, and "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida."

Somehow, Pictures Of Matchstick Men was the first to come to mind, so maybe I should go with that. I'm partially inclined to switch my vote to something by the Grateful Dead, like New Potato Caboose, Born Cross Eyed or Mountains Of The Moon.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    I can't believe I've never heard the long version or even suspected it's existence. This is a seminal piece of the 20th century art. Thank You.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    I love all the songs mentioned above. But my pick is:

"Mother Sky" by Can
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Probably

13th Floor Elevators - "Slip Inside This House"
    The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off

The only problem with "Pictures of Matchstick Men" is that, at only 3:14, it's too short to really get your freak on.

"Heaven Is In Your Mind"

Quote Originally Posted by Buddhabreath View Post
    I can't believe I've never heard the long version or even suspected it's existence. This is a seminal piece of the 20th century art. Thank You.
    Our family used to vacation every summer on Orcas Island up near the Canadian border, and I can remember being snuggled down in my sleeping bag one night with my head resting on my new transistor radio (with the large speaker and leather case), when the Vancouver BC station played the entire long version of "Time Has Come Today." It was a seminal moment in my 13-year old life, to the point that I still remember it vividly.

Great choices. I would add the Stones "2000 Light Years from Home". Brian Jones on the Mellotron for the win.

"Crimson and Clover"
    "Frozen flaking fish raw nerve...In a cup of silver liquid fire" - Jethro Tull

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by zravkapt View Post
    13th Floor Elevators - "Slip Inside This House"
    Forgot about that one! Years ago I used to play that on guitar after carefully transcribing those incredible lyrics. I considered it the ultimate psych song at the time and still think there's a good argument for that.

No question for me; it's the granddaddy of all psychedelic songs, "Eight Miles High."
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Banned
    Eight Miles High is another great pick and an all-timer for sure in my book. Mother Sky is an interesting choice as well.

I think I get the In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida choice, but honestly when's the last time you sat through the whole thing?

There's just not much happening except that admittedly iconic riff repeated ad nausea, that infamous boring drum solo and the supremely vacuous lyrics. Actually all the solos I find uninspired and downright pedestrian. The fact that that it never seems to end is perhaps the point of it all. That and it is playable by a stoned high-school level garage band of average abilities.

Mine is clearly the minority view on this apparently as it gets 4 1/2 stars from AMG and its readers but to be honest I think it sucks!

Mad River - "Orange Fire"
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    No question for me; it's the granddaddy of all psychedelic songs, "Eight Miles High."
    You mean that song innocently about a plane trip to London?
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mogrooves View Post
    Mad River - "Orange Fire"
    A jem indeed, and a one of the great anti-war songs, but about the last thing I want to hear on a trip is a song about innocents raped with napalm fire, to quote 21st century schizoid man!

...about the last thing I want to hear on a trip is a song about innocents raped with napalm fire, to quote 21st century schizoid man!
    Go with "Windchimes" instead
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

I think I get the In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida choice, but honestly when's the last time you sat through the whole thing?

There's just not much happening except that admittedly iconic riff repeated ad nausea, that infamous boring drum solo and the supremely vacuous lyrics. Actually all the solos I find uninspired and downright pedestrian. The fact that that it never seems to end is perhaps the point of it all. That and it is playable by a stoned high-school level garage band of average abilities.

Mine is clearly the minority view on this apparently as it gets 4 1/2 stars from AMG and its readers but to be honest I think it sucks!
    Due to its nature In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida is easy to overplay, and it certainly has been. It sold over 30 mill copies an charted pretty high, pretty long for that sort of music !
    But I disagree with everything you write here.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mogrooves View Post
    Go with "Windchimes" instead
    Done!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    Due to its nature In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida is easy to overplay, and it certainly has been. It sold over 30 mill copies an charted pretty high, pretty long for that sort of music !
    But I disagree with everything you write here.
    It did indeed! Clearly beauty is in the eye of the beholder when it come to this one. But I have to ask again, when's the last time you sat through the whole thing without squirming in your seat? If the answer is recently and often, can you please share some of that shit you're smoking? :dgtest

Cheers!

Oooh, so many... and a lot of good ones have been mentioned.

I'll add : See Emily Play - Pink Floyd

and then there's: 25 O'clock - Dukes of the Stratosphear

It did indeed! Clearly beauty is in the eye of the beholder when it come to this one. But I have to ask again, when's the last time you sat through the whole thing without squirming in your seat? If the answer is recently and often, can you please share some of that shit you're smoking? :dgtest
    You sound like Darren Lock talking about Gong, or space music in general: I don't like it, so anyone who does like it must be high. I think it's a damn good jam, myself, and wonderfully trippy. And I'd rather listen to that three minutes of catchy drum patterns than the usual sort of slam-every-drum-within-reach-as-fast-as-humanly-possible sort of solo any day. Well, most days.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx