Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grateful Dead - Pacific Northwest '73-'74 Box (19 CDs)

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar

Grateful Dead - Pacific Northwest '73-'74 Box (19 CDs)

Due September 7th, looks very nice:

6 shows on 19 CDs:

6/22/73 P.N.E. Coliseum, Vancouver, B.C.
    6/24/73 Portland Memorial Coliseum, Portland, OR
    6/26/73 Seattle Center Arena, Seattle, WA
    5/17/74 P.N.E. Coliseum, Vancouver, B.C.
    5/19/74 Portland Memorial Coliseum, Portland, OR
    5/21/74 Hec Edmundson Pavilion, University of Washington, Seattle, WA

Not a bad price. Limited to 15,000 but these can go fast - I missed out on one fairly recently and had to pay a higher price on eBay.
    Last edited by JKL2000; 06-21-2018 at 08:07 PM.

A couple of boxes ago I said I was going to stop buying these things, but I can't help it. Already ordered.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    A couple of boxes ago I said I was going to stop buying these things, but I can't help it. Already ordered.
    I ordered it too! Couldn’t resist. I stopped with Dave’s Picks but these boxes are too nice to hold back on.

I rarely buy Dead stuff anymore, but this one is really tempting.

Question for all you Dead cognoscenti: how does this era rate? This is the era where a little prog starts to creep into the material here and there. So I'm potentially interested.

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    Question for all you Dead cognoscenti: how does this era rate? This is the era where a little prog starts to creep into the material here and there. So I'm potentially interested.
    Actually, there was always a "little prog" going all the way back to their second album, Anthem Of The Sun. If side one of that album isn't "prog", I don't know what is.

1972-1974 is my favorite era for the Dead's improvisational playing. There's a stretch in the second set of each show (and usually, to a lesser extent, the end of the first set), where they'd "go all the way out". Jerry got better sounds using just a wah wah pedal than he did 15 year later, when he had a full blown refrigator sized MIDI-fied guitar synth rig. Also, Phil Lesh was at his most inspired, playing great bass lines, and sometimes even playing solos.

This is also my favorite era for Jerry's guitar tones, using either a Strat (usually a heavily modified one known as the Alligator) or the Doug Irwin Wolf guitar, into just a wah wah (and occasionally a fuzztone) and a Fender Twin. After 74, he started futzing around with his gear too much, adding too many pedals, changing to different guitars and amps, and I feel his tone suffered a bit. But 73-74, he still had that perfect bell like tone that I love.

Dare I ask what the price of this latest box is?

^^^ $189... There will also be a 3 cd comp for $25. That's the ticket for me, even though I will miss the cool totem box. Thanks for your input BTW. You always have some good insights into the Dead's music.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Dare I ask what the price of this latest box is?
    $189.98

You can listen to a track here - a 26-min "TRUCKIN'>JAM>NOT FADE" 5/19/74. Sounds really good - I'm 10 minutes in:

http://www.dead.net/store/music/new-...ings-boxed-set
    Last edited by JKL2000; 06-21-2018 at 09:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    $189.98
    ...plus an additional 12 bucks for US shipping (it seems to me they usually offer free shipping for preorders, but not this time), and after CA tax my damage was $218.59.

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    There will also be a 3 cd comp for $25.
    It doesn't include the only "Dark Star" of the box (6/24/73) but although that may seem disappointing, the "Truckin'"-related jams were some of their best stuff in this era.

There's a 47-minute version of Playing In The Band on the last show. If only Donna was on there!

yeah, me too. ordered even before the email went out (Rolling Stone.com is always the first news outlet to tease these releases)

I've got a whole fucking wall go the GDP stuff, from all of the D&D Picks, Road Trips and bonuses and the boxes

it's worth it to me to have a complete set and it's worth it to me to have all of these superbly mastered and packaged releases. complete value

now I wish that Lemiux et al would focus on the 80s a bit. for better or worse this was MY Dead era having seen them 50 times or so between 83 and 90.

questions: why has the Warfield and Radio City runs never been released? Arista Record rights? the 20th Anniversary shows were not perfect performances, but they were cool and notable (plus, the Merriweather Shakedown is the best ever). where is that box?

anyway, they'll be more coming. a box a year I can handle. esp with my 0% PayPal credit card
    2trevorsforlife

There's a 47-minute version of Playing In The Band on the last show. If only Donna was on there!
    If only she wasn't, I guess you mean?

Quote Originally Posted by helix View Post
    questions: why has the Warfield and Radio City runs never been released? Arista Record rights? the 20th Anniversary shows were not perfect performances, but they were cool and notable (plus, the Merriweather Shakedown is the best ever). where is that box?
    For Warfield/Radio City I've read that the Dead did not care for the shows and erased and reused most of the multitracks. They do have cassette SBDs but the ones I've heard don't sound that great. A summer 1985 box could happen.

Quote Originally Posted by pb2015 View Post
    If only she wasn't, I guess you mean?
    I don't think anyone would actually want her to be on it.

I don't think anyone would actually want her to be on it.
    Speak for yourself. To me it's always a highlight of those epic PitB jams when they come back into the main song part with Donna wailing away. I always get a kick out of that.

Speak for yourself. To me it's always a highlight of those epic PitB jams when they come back into the main song part with Donna wailing away. I always get a kick out of that.
    OMG - I've horribly misremembered - this is the PRIME Donna era. Why did I not check this out before buying? Oh well, here's a taste of what we have in store:

Scarlet Begonias, start at 3:35 :

https://archive.org/details/gd74-05-...05-19d1t05.shn

"It Must Have Been the Constipation"

Quote Originally Posted by pb2015 View Post
    For Warfield/Radio City I've read that the Dead did not care for the shows and erased and reused most of the multitracks. They do have cassette SBDs but the ones I've heard don't sound that great. A summer 1985 box could happen.

thanks

I can't see them every going against their standards and reusing the tapes, seeing as they have a lot of stuff that probably 'didn't care for'. I always assumed that they didn't outright own them due to Arista. I thought I read that Radio City owned a part of the show run as part of a complicated deal involving the 3 parties
    2trevorsforlife

thanks

I can't see them every going against their standards and reusing the tapes, seeing as they have a lot of stuff that probably 'didn't care for'. I always assumed that they didn't outright own them due to Arista. I thought I read that Radio City owned a part of the show run as part of a complicated deal involving the 3 parties
    I think Rhino has all the Arista GD stuff now.

This. Sigh. I love the Dead, but I am consistently surprised at their ability to package these things and sell them to me 23 years after Mr. Garcia breathed his last. I've likely spent more on Dead related material post 1995 than Jerry dropped on eight balls, hot dogs and milkshakes the last twenty years of his life. As a young Deadhead, I didn't really appreciate 1973-74. Now I love that era of the band.

Well, if you're talking about releasing all those shows, that would one hell of a huge box, as you're talking about something like 20 or 30 shows, with at least 3 CD's per show.

But the story I heard once was they had to hack up the multi-track tapes to make Reckoning and Dead Set (in particular, on the latter, there's lots of editing block created segues and such), so they may not be able to put out those shows in their entirety, unless....Betty Cantor was running a two track tape on all the shows, as well (she said she often did that, because if anyone in the band wanted to hear a given show, for whatever reason, it was easier to set up the Nagra, in a hotel room or whatever, than go through the headache of setting up multi-track gear, just to throw a listening party). So if they have two track tapes of everything, they could release those.

What I wish they could/would do is release the the last three shows of the Radio City Music Hall run. My understanding is all three exist on videotape. Halloween night was broadcast live, on CCTV, to movie theaters and bars around the country, sort of like what they do now with these "one night only" movie things (which the Dead engage in once a year, I believe). That's the show that was edited down to create the Dead Ahead home video release. Then the 30th was shot, I believe, as a backup, in case something went wrong during the live broadcast thing, they could go to tape (they do the same thing wiht "live television", like SNL, they tape the dress rehearsal, that way if something goes wrong, or if someone goes off the reservation, they kill the live feed and pipe in the dress rehearsal). I also recall reading that the 29th was also videotaped, as a "dry run" for the following two nights, I guess. I think they used clips from the 30th and 31st on the Dead AHead DVD, but I believe there's big chunks of both nights (and the 29th) that remain unreleased.

thanks

Oh damn, now that I remember, that's right. Betty Cantor said in one of the Dead Compendium books (one of the few times she's ever been interviewed) that they actually taped over some of those multi-tracks for...wait for it...a Brent Mydland solo album that never got released! But that used to be common place in the music biz, before everyone got reissue and "previously released rarities" crazy, it was commonplace to to tape over unused multi-track tapes.

GIven that Betty Cantor was involved, I suspect they probably have two track tapes that were recorded on Nagra. I'm not sure if they had gone over to recording on cassettes yet, at that stage.

BTW, there's an interesting story about the Radio City run: the Dead had a poster designed to promote the run, showing a pair of skeletons (one holding a guitar, I believe) leaning against the RCMH. At the time, Radio City was going through some rough financial times, and they took the poster to fall in the "bad omen/poor taste", and nixed it's release.

This. Sigh. I love the Dead, but I am consistently surprised at their ability to package these things and sell them to me 23 years after Mr. Garcia breathed his last. I've likely spent more on Dead related material post 1995 than Jerry dropped on eight balls, hot dogs and milkshakes the last twenty years of his life. As a young Deadhead, I didn't really appreciate 1973-74. Now I love that era of the band.
    Yeah, I dropped a truckload of money on Dead music since 1995 too. For me, it's worse, because I ended up buying quite a few of the Dick's Picks releases in stores, several years after they had been released through mail order (which I couldn't do because I didn't have a credit card), and in most cases, they were more expensive than if I had bought them through mail order.

And like King Crimson, a lot of those big boxes have material repeated from other archival releases (e.g. the Europe '72 box includes music released already on Hundred Year Hall and Steppin' Out With The Grateful Dead).

Unfortunately, since I don't really have a lot of money and have lots of other expenses, I've missed most of the archival things since the end of the Dick's Picks series. I have a few of the Road Trips, but after that...forget it. I don't have any of the big limited edition boxes. I wish they'd at least do a digital version that can stay up on whichever server, so that you could at least get the music, and maybe even a pdf or whatever version of whatever book they put in the boxes, for those of us who can't pull the trigger at a moment's notice on $200-$300 boxset.

Hell, I still haven't gotten the DVD version of Sunshine Daydream yet. Did they release the Beat Club footage yet? I know it was up on Youtube at one point, and did one of those "one night only" theater things with it (which I had to miss because of work), but I haven't heard if it was released on DVD yet.

As for Donna, yeah, her intonation was off sometimes (I gather that she had trouble hearing herself onstage, due to the weird monitor situation at the time), but the only time she really bugs me, is when they do You Ain't Woman Enough. It's a dumb song, even when Loretta Lynn was singing it, but being given a sub-bar band treatment by a band whose true talents lay in other musical areas, really gets on my nerves.

Which reminds me of something else I wish they'd do: put out something that's just the jam/improvisational parts of the show. Skip all the bar band cover tunes (at times, the Dead were the most successful bar band in the world, while at the same time almost being the most mediocre), and just get to Weather Report Suite, Dark Star, Eyes Of The World/King Solomon's Marbles, etc. I (and I imagine, a lot of people), don't really need yet another version of The Race Is On, El Paso, etc. I thought The Grateful Dead Movie Soundtrack was pretty close to being what I'd like from them, i.e. focusing mostly on the second set suites, which were really what made the Dead unique. Dick's Picks Vol. 18 (the one with the Boston Garden second set from June '74) is another example.

And I really wish they'd release more of the Phil & Ned stuff. I don't know if there's some legal issue with Ned Lagin, or if Lemiux or whomever just thinks "nobody wants to hear that stuff", but I always dug it. I think the only thing they ever released was a short bit on DP 18 (supposedly, Latvala wanted to release the entire performance, which was something like 20 minutes, but Lemiux or someone else in the organization thought it was "too abstract" or whatever, so they edited it down to like half it's original length). The second sets from 9/11/74, 10/16/74 and 10/18/74 all had the Phil & Ned part of the set seguing directly into a full band improv, and all of them are fantastic, and all (apart from the Dark Star/Morning Dew portion of 10/18/74) have never been issued.

And on the Ned Lagin side of things, I wish they'd issue some of the Seastones concerts, which typically involved Phil and Jerry and sometimes Mickey, too. There were a handful of them from late 73-mid 75, and the ones I've heard I think are awesome. Yeah, it's basically deep space improv, very esoteric stuff, but that's why I like it. But again, I imagine they may have to have Ned's permission, and I kinda gather he might not be too into releasing stuff like that (or maybe the people in the Dead organization who are "only in it for the money", and I think there are a few, are preventing anything "too weird" from being released).

On YouTube I believe there is the entire live 10/31/80 show, and various bits from the 30th and some earlier shows too including the Warfield.