Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: STRAWBS 50th ANNIVERSARY WEEKEND!! April 2019 IN THE USA!

Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    This weekend just begs to be immortalized on DVD. I wonder if there are any plans for such, if not maybe a crowdfunder, kickstarter thing would be an option.
    Yes I believe they are planning to make a DVD. They did for the 30th and 40th so it makes sense

New announcement today! LARRY FAST will be joining the Strawbs 50th celebration! Watch the Strawbs50.com site for more info.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roth View Post
    I’m definitely interested and it’s a bonus that the theater is only an hour drive for me, so no hotel involved. I looked at tickets today and there seems to be 1) a lot of available tickets still and 2) only one $300 3-day option that includes brunch with the guys and such to choose from. I’m interested but I don’t need the bells and whistles. Maybe I’m missing it, but I couldn’t find another ticket option other than that.
    Hey Dan
    Regular two-day tickets are now on sale. Go to strawbs50.com for info and ordering.

Now it’s FIVE keyboardists! Larry Fast, Rick Wakeman, Dave Bainbridge, John Hawken, and Blue Weaver!

Quote Originally Posted by greeneking View Post
    New announcement today! LARRY FAST will be joining the Strawbs 50th celebration! Watch the Strawbs50.com site for more info.
    I wonder why? Fast and Cousins only did one song together as far as I know ("Heartbreaker" from Intergalactic Touring Band) and John Ford opened for the Security Project which included Fast a few years back. Guess he is just a friend of the band. Pretty cool addition.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roth View Post
    I wonder why? Fast and Cousins only did one song together as far as I know ("Heartbreaker" from Intergalactic Touring Band) and John Ford opened for the Security Project which included Fast a few years back. Guess he is just a friend of the band. Pretty cool addition.
    He also lives in the area.

They’re doing interviews with each of the guests for the website. Fast’s interview is not up yet, but I imagine it will have something about what exactly is his association with Strawbs.

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    Just praying they fill one of the empty April dates with a Northampton (MA) show...please...

Quote Originally Posted by rickawakeman View Post
    Just praying they fill one of the empty April dates with a Northampton (MA) show...please...
    assume you mean Iron Horse....contact them and ask them to pursue it. In fact get a bunch of people to do the same. The band has done well there in the past.

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    Just sent a plaintive plea. Will pursue. You've included some of my reviews of the local shows on Strawbsweb.

So how many hours each day will there be performances? Afternoon & Evening?

Quote Originally Posted by Garyhead View Post
    It is confirmed that Annie Haslam will be singing Sandy Denny's parts.
    Annie discusses her involvement with this weekend here:

https://strawbs50.com/annie-haslam-l...h-judi-cuervo/

Q: I can’t help but think that you are probably anticipating Strawbs’ 50th Anniversary weekend like a long overdue reunion: Renaissance and Strawbs shared many a bill in the 1970s, both you and Strawbs’ John Hawken were part of Renaissance, you’ve worked with both Tony Visconti and Larry Fast and, most poignantly, you met Sandy Denny when Sandy’s Fairport Convention opened up for Renaissance at the Academy of Music, NYC in 1974.

Annie: When I was invited to be a part of the STRAWBS 50th Anniversary Weekend and in the same email was asked to sing Sandy’s “Who Knows Where the Time Goes,” I became very emotional, as I have always loved and wanted to sing that song! And, of course, the mention of the orchestra made it all the more unbelievable. Then I got to speak with Dave Cousins and the excitement grew from there.

Quite incredibly about two weeks before I received Dave’s email, I was playing Sandy’s song to a friend and decided to post it on my Facebook page for all our fans to hear her beautiful angelic voice, and a song they would never forget.

Q: Can you convey a bit of how you feel about revisiting those days and, in a sense, recreating them with so many of the same artists you basically grew up with?

Annie: I am so looking forward to seeing everyone again, and those I have yet to meet for this magical celebration. It has been a few years since most of us have worked together, and it will truly be an event to remember. Tony Visconti, Larry Fast and I had written songs together and my connection to Rick Wakeman is that Renaissance opened up for YES on three shows in the mid -70s in the US.

Q: Both you and Strawbs have had careers that have spanned decades. Would you share any particularly interesting times when your paths crossed over the years?

Annie: Surprisingly, our paths rarely crossed over the decades! In 2004, Strawbs played NEARfest (North Eastern Art Rock Festival) in Bethlehem, PA and I, along with Roger Dean who’s so well known for his YES album covers, was showing my art at the festival. After the event, I dropped by the bands’ hotel for a bit and Dave and I chatted briefly. Incredibly, the next time I saw Dave was in the elevator aboard The Norwegian Pearl during the 2016 Moody Blues Cruise. What was rather amusing about that is that I was wearing a face mask to try to avoid the germs that some feel are prevalent aboard crowded cruise ships. I entered the elevator, saw Dave and pulled my mask down. I’m sure he was a bit surprised but recovered enough to say “Annie! How ‘bout a kiss?”

Quote Originally Posted by rickawakeman View Post
    Just sent a plaintive plea. Will pursue. You've included some of my reviews of the local shows on Strawbsweb.
    Haha....not me.....but I can see how you'd assume since it's Dick Greener who runs the site and my screen name is GreeneKing. Have had that screen name since the early days of the internet, probably 25 years now....it's attached to all my accounts so changing it would be a chore!

Anyway there are still dates available running up to the 50th if Iron Horse chooses to pursue it.

Unfortunate news: Rick Wakeman has had to cancel his appearance st Strawbs 50th, as well as all engagements between now and June....family member has medical issue and he needs to stay close to home.

Geeez, and I moved away from the town next door. Do not think can make it from the new place, I think I am going to cry
    I did attend their concert at Strand Theater before ... must be something like 10 years ago or so? But this one promises to be indeed very special.

Super stoked bump!

https://strawbs50.com/

Very excited for this!
    JG

"MARKLAR!"

Getting on the jet plane next Tuesday for this......fingers crossed for no more artist cancellations........ How many PE’ers are going? Always like meeting you folks face to face.

Quote Originally Posted by Garyhead View Post
    Getting on the jet plane next Tuesday for this......fingers crossed for no more artist cancellations........ How many PE’ers are going? Always like meeting you folks face to face.
    Sent you my contact info. I'm flying out there solo, so totally up for meeting some PE'ers.