Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Elf King presents The Elf King - new prog song

The Elf King presents The Elf King - new prog song

Originally written back in 1980'something... Here's the title track for my new album project "The Elf King".

You guys will be the first to hear what will surely be hailed as "Song Of The Year" by many.

Can't believe this is actually happening after so many years but it is! Let your friends know...

The Elf King LIVES!

I like it. Reminds me of Citizen Cain. Good luck with the album.

I like it too. The prog is strong in this one
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Thanks guys. How best to promote The Elf King? I thought I would have more response on a site like progressiveears.org where new music is discovered and shared.
    As of now my video only has 26 views and I'm sure at least 6 of those are mine. Only 2 people responded to this post.
    I wonder if it's worth it to spend another 3,000 hours of my life making this album. If it's just going to be ignored, probably not.
    If you haven't heard the track yet PLEASE give it a listen and share if you like it.

I listened to it last night. I liked it for the most part.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    I listened to it last night. I liked it for the most part.

So, it taken me months to pull this off and you "like" it for the "most part". What parts did you like? What parts did you not like? I'm sorry this has just been very disapointing. But thank you for listening.

Quote Originally Posted by The Elf King View Post
    So, it taken me months to pull this off and you "like" it for the "most part". What parts did you like? What parts did you not like? I'm sorry this has just been very disapointing. But thank you for listening.
    I thought it was pretty good musically. However, I can't decide if I like the vocals or not. I think I do, but I wonder how I would feel about that voice over a whole album? I can't say for sure.

I wonder if it's worth it to spend another 3,000 hours of my life making this album. If it's just going to be ignored, probably not.
    I think it's worth spending time making the album if you enjoy doing it and if you're satisfied with the end result. Treat every listener you're going to reach as a bonus. If you're going to aim for a certain number of listeners or buyers, you're setting yourself up for disappointment. While the internet gives you a huge potential audience, the reality of it is that there's so much music already out there, it's going to be difficult to stand out.
    Thanks guys. How best to promote The Elf King?
    I'd say put it on as many platforms as possible, bandcamp, soundcloud, what have you. Social media might also work: put it on facebook, tweet about it. And if and when you finish the album review sites may be an option as well. A single track is probably not going to work with those. But I'm not a musician myself, so others may have better ideas.
    As of now my video only has 26 views and I'm sure at least 6 of those are mine. Only 2 people responded to this post.
    You may only have a few responses, but at the time of writing this thread has 233 views, which is not bad. If people don't respond, it doesn't necessarily mean they don't like it.

You guys will be the first to hear what will surely be hailed as "Song Of The Year" by many.
    While there is nothing wrong with self promotion, you may want to dampen your expectations. I think helicase put it well in his post above.
    It's a Good Thing I Don't Have Super Brain Powers Or You'd All Be In A Thousand Little Pieces Right Now (Forever Einstein).

Quote Originally Posted by Meme Prog Mutation View Post
    While there is nothing wrong with self promotion, you may want to dampen your expectations. I think helicase put it well in his post above.
    Correct...there is nothing wrong with self-promotion and I'm glad we agree. And yet, I do expect more from the prog community at large. You have no idea how it would feel if fellow PE members got behind my project and helped me promote it...then it would
    no longer be self-promotion. Until then I just have to try. With that said, I did get some attention from one prog website who seems to get what I'm doing. My song, possibly a masterpiece!

https://progarchy.com/2018/06/24/tom...g-masterpiece/

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I like it. It's quite nice. The guitar playing is excellent.

So I listened and I liked it - pity PE doesn't have an option to Tweet posts directly(unless it does and I just don't know), however I will Tweet it from YouTube.

Quote Originally Posted by jake View Post
    So I listened and I liked it - pity PE doesn't have an option to Tweet posts directly(unless it does and I just don't know), however I will Tweet it from YouTube.
    So I tweeted it to my followers - about 1100 - and there was already a response from @ProgRockDotCom so thats an additional almost 4,000 ( and I don't even follow @ProgRockDotCom - so in 20 minutes about 5,000 people will be seeing this on their Twitter timelines. I'm not saying 5,000 people will watch the video but as of now the watch count on youtube has gone up to 90. I think that gives credence to Helicase's point that, especially in this day and age, if you want to reach people - Social Media is the way to go.

Correct...there is nothing wrong with self-promotion and I'm glad we agree. And yet, I do expect more from the prog community at large. You have no idea how it would feel if fellow PE members got behind my project and helped me promote it...then it would
    no longer be self-promotion.
    I think this reflects a total misunderstanding of the "prog community". If you think this is some cohesive mass, you simply have not been paying attention to the posts on PE. There are many fractions (just read any what is prog thread) and if I had to guess, I'd put the fraction of PE members into your music at less than 30%. This is not a reflection of the merit of your music, people just have different tastes. One persons masterpiece is not going to be another persons cuppa. You will be a much happier person if you accept that and incorporate it into your expectations.
    It's a Good Thing I Don't Have Super Brain Powers Or You'd All Be In A Thousand Little Pieces Right Now (Forever Einstein).

Quote Originally Posted by jake View Post
    So I tweeted it to my followers - about 1100 - and there was already a response from @ProgRockDotCom so thats an additional almost 4,000 ( and I don't even follow @ProgRockDotCom - so in 20 minutes about 5,000 people will be seeing this on their Twitter timelines. I'm not saying 5,000 people will watch the video but as of now the watch count on youtube has gone up to 90. I think that gives credence to Helicase's point that, especially in this day and age, if you want to reach people - Social Media is the way to go.
    Thank you for your support! How do I find you on twitter Jake?

Quote Originally Posted by Meme Prog Mutation View Post
    I think this reflects a total misunderstanding of the "prog community". If you think this is some cohesive mass, you simply have not been paying attention to the posts on PE. There are many fractions (just read any what is prog thread) and if I had to guess, I'd put the fraction of PE members into your music at less than 30%. This is not a reflection of the merit of your music, people just have different tastes. One persons masterpiece is not going to be another persons cuppa. You will be a much happier person if you accept that and incorporate it into your expectations.
    Is it so obvious I'm not a happy person?

Thank you for your support! How do I find you on twitter Jake?
    See your PMs - BTW - up to 135 views.

Congratulations ! I think it's a very well written, produced and performed piece of music.

A couple of questions:

Is this a one-person project? How much of it is sequenced versus played live in studio?
    Mongrel dog soils actor's feet

Quote Originally Posted by Splicer View Post
    Is this a one-person project?
    It does sound like that. And I can't quite exactly say why - the best explanation I can give is that there's a sense of only one melodic and harmonic conception, rather than multiple conceptions working together the way a band has. There's also, "a lack of space" isn't quite the right phrase, but something about the way it's written and arranged that says one person made all the decisions, rather than things being jammed out or discussed and suggested.

I think it sounds great and would like to hear more.

Quote Originally Posted by Splicer View Post
    A couple of questions:

Is this a one-person project? How much of it is sequenced versus played live in studio?
    Several people are or were involved in this. I tried to assemble my original band from the 80s but some were MIA.

So I've been dabbling some with an early electronic music style (as in Tangerine Dream) and synth-wave. Trying hard to recapture that 80's vibe. The best way to do that would be
    to just actually go back to the 80's and start over. Or even better, the early 70's. See my post on time travel?
    Thanks for the feedback guys. It's truly appreciated.
    I'm oughta here.
    http://www.progressiveears.org/forum...light=elf+king

Tom (a.k.a. The Elf King, a.k.a. Chronomonaut) left some videos in our possession I thought you'd be interested in. We're releasing them on youtube and Facebook over the next few weeks. Apparently these document some of his early band experiences in the 80s when he first formed The Elf King project. There's quite a bit about time travel as well. Tom, if you see this...check in!

Tom talks about the 83 version of The Elf King band.