Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Are the USPS and Canada Post getting worse?

Are the USPS and Canada Post getting worse?

Seriously, are they? It's been ten days since my latest Synphonic order was shipped. It took SIX days just to get out of the southwestern U.S., and it's now been a further four days in Canada (according to the USPS tracking #... it doesn't even show up on Canada Post's tracking.)

Still not here today (Thursday 14th) and still no updates since it apparently hit Vancouver. Any package that has been sent with tracking (i.e. not the economy shipping) never takes four days once it is within Canada. Why am I paying $15 U.S. shipping for a package that moves at a snail's pace - in both countries? I never used to wait this long for a package from Greg. Even my Lasers Edge orders now take a minimum of two days longer than they used to (they've always been the fastest U.S. shipments to arrive to me, five business days tops, but now seven or eight.)

Look at this nonsense:

June 11, 2018, 10:45 am
    Departed
    VANCOUVER, CANADA
    Your item departed a transfer airport in METROPOLITAN AREA, VANCOUVER, CANADA on June 11, 2018 at 10:45 am. The item is currently in transit to the destination.
    June 10, 2018, 12:15 am
    Departed
    LOS ANGELES, UNITED STATES
    June 9, 2018, 7:40 pm
    Arrived
    LOS ANGELES, UNITED STATES
    June 8, 2018, 6:14 pm
    Shipment Received, Package Acceptance Pending
    LOS ANGELES, CA 90009
    Processed Through Regional Facility
    LOS ANGELES CA INTERNATIONAL DISTRIBUTION CENTER
    Arrived at Regional Facility
    LOS ANGELES CA INTERNATIONAL DISTRIBUTION CENTER
    June 7, 2018, 7:14 pm
    Arrived Shipping Partner Facility, USPS Awaiting Item
    TORRANCE, CA 90505
    June 7, 2018, 7:27 am
    LOS ANGELES, CA 90051
    June 7, 2018, 7:08 am
    Departed Shipping Partner Facility, USPS Awaiting Item
    LOS ANGELES, CA 90051
    June 6, 2018, 1:48 pm
    LOS ANGELES, CA 90052
    June 6, 2018, 2:51 am
    BELL GARDENS, CA 90201
    June 5, 2018, 5:22 am
    WEST VALLEY CITY, UT 84119
    June 5, 2018, 4:11 am
    SALT LAKE CITY, UT 84199
    June 4, 2018, 10:19 pm
    SALT LAKE CITY, UT 84199
    June 4, 2018, 5:32 pm
    AMERICAN FORK, UT 84003
    June 4, 2018, 4:30 pm
    Shipping Label Created, USPS Awaiting Item
    AMERICAN FORK, UT 84003
    Two boys have been found rubbing linseed oil into the school cormorant.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Looks like it spent a lot of time in LA doing very little!
    "Of course you are allowed to trumpet your profound ignorance by disagreeing with me." -- Facelift

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Looks like it spent a lot of time in LA doing very little!
    Yeah, pretty annoying to check the tracking every day and see that it moved down the street instead of to... you know, where I live.

Just curious if anyone else has noticed a downward turn in the service from either postal service lately.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Just curious if anyone else has noticed a downward turn in the service from either postal service lately.
    Shit happens when you’re processing millions of parcels a day, but as someone who heavily uses and greatly relies on the US Postal service, I have very few complaints.

If anything, since it all got bar coded and computerized and scannable, I find it to generally be faster and more reliable than it was 5 years ago.

YMMV.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"The older I get, the more I realize that cynicism is just realism spelled wrong."

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    Shit happens when you’re processing millions of parcels a day, but as someone who heavily uses and greatly relies on the US Postal service, I have very few complaints. YMMV.
    It's definitely a noticeable trend on my end - again, with both postal services. And with the way international prices skyrocketed over the past several years, it can get frustrating when the service goes in the opposite direction.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    It's definitely a noticeable trend on my end - again, with both postal services. And with the way international prices skyrocketed over the past several years, it can get frustrating when the service goes in the opposite direction.
    Is it a noticeable trend from other vendors shipping from other locations?
    Last edited by Steve F.; 06-15-2018 at 08:59 AM.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

"The older I get, the more I realize that cynicism is just realism spelled wrong."

It is a noticeable trend from other vendors shipping from other locations?
    It's a noticeable trend that my shipments from various locations in the U.S. are taking longer to arrive than in years past - in some cases, considerably longer, at a greater cost than ever before.

Member Emeritus (A.M.P.) rcarlberg's Avatar
    That's because Canadians are back-stabbing cheesemongers.

Seriously, I do a fair amount of shipping & receiving, and have never had problems with the USPS.

From the updates, it appears that the vendors are using third-party shippers instead of doing it themselves. It looks like it took 3 or 4 days before the USPS even got it.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Watch out, we are a serious threat.

Assuming you guys who ship a lot look at online tracking frequently, does the example I posted appear normal to you, out of curiosity? My experience is that up until a year or two ago, that same tracking info would be about a quarter or a third as long, and would have certainly arrived by now. If this was a lone instance, I would just assume that shit does indeed happen, and my parcel fell behind a piece of equipment and wasn't discovered for a week. But this is happening all the time now. I expect to wait weeks when it is economy shipping from a Discogs/Ebay purchase, but not with this kind of shipping.

Quote Originally Posted by tdotdo View Post
    From the updates, it appears that the vendors are using third-party shippers instead of doing it themselves. It looks like it took 3 or 4 days before the USPS even got it.
    Good point.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Quote Originally Posted by tdotdo View Post
    Good point.
    Indeed, and that's not something I used to ever see in the past. The locations/zip codes are the same as they always were though. And of course, it doesn't explain why Canada Post is also taking forever to get it to me.

There seems to be a big difference between when a package is ONLY handled by USPS (usually service is pretty good then), and when another party (like UPS) or service in another country is involved. The combination seems to cause problems.
    "Of course you are allowed to trumpet your profound ignorance by disagreeing with me." -- Facelift

It is not just USPS , UPS ground is way slower than it was a few years ago.
    Some say it is the volume of Returns that is the culprit.
    Seriously, for me USPS is at the very least as good as FedEx for other than overnight and UPS.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    Mayonnaise on a hamburger is an Abomination.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    All of Canada is in mourning since the death of Rowsdower.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

No problems with USPS from me. On the contrary , usually exempliary. Theres always the one that slips through the cracks though.

If anything, the last few parcels have arrived Early! Especially from the UK. The "Signature Required" Burning Shed parcel arrived a day early.....and I ordered 4 DVD's from Amazon UK....they arrived in TWO days!
    To the OP....could there have been a delay due to Memorial Day weekend? I know a lot of folks now take the previous Thursday & Friday off to make a 5-day vacation.....some just call in sick and management scramble to fill the voids.....also, UPS is in contract negotiations with it's drivers.......productivity NEVER goes up during negotiations...
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

^^^ Incoming mail from the UK and Europe has been fairly consistent for me as well.

As for a Memorial Day weekend delay, that was a week before this package shipped, and again that was only the most recent example anyway. It's been over a year of slow and slower packages from the U.S. to Canada. Those can't all be because some people decided to take five-day holidays.

The USPS has locations that are sorting hubs. The package a customer is waiting for may go past them to one of these hubs, and if you follow the tracking route, it looks a bit Keystone Cops-ish. They do it for a reason.
    "If you want to see the true nature of humanity, just look at the internet."

http://www.discogs.com/user/moecurlythanu/collection

Quote Originally Posted by markwoll View Post
    Seriously, for me USPS is at the very least as good as FedEx for other than overnight and UPS.
    Around here, USPS started Sunday delivery to deal with Amazon Prime shipments.
    "If you want to see the true nature of humanity, just look at the internet."

http://www.discogs.com/user/moecurlythanu/collection

I've noticed that UPS has gotten slower and don't even get me started on those pencil dicks at Fed-Ex.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I don't understand why for the most part Canada Post refuses to scan international incoming packages these days. It would help people a lot to at least see there's been progress.

Well...

This morning UPS left a clearly marked perishable package containing food that had to be refrigerated down by our garage so it sat there for 7 hours.

A little while ago today USPS tracking said a package was due by 8pm tonight. Suddenly the arrival date changed to June 20th and some of the tracking “steps” had been deleted.

UPS consistently delivers my stuff around 6:30-7:30 pm.I have never received delivery from UPS earlier than that.Not complaining,i guess my neck of the woods is at the tail end of the delivery day schedule.

I have no complaints about USPS service,other than a few isolated screw-ups.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

I'm thinking it's Canada Post to blame here, mostly anyway. This still hasn't arrived, nor been updated on USPS tracking (still the same Vancouver entry from 9 days ago) or Canada Post's tracking (which doesn't see it at all.)

Likewise with a package from a guy I made a trade with in the Netherlands, which was shipped with tracking 12 days ago and went off the radar once it was listed as "Sent to country of destination" (and again, Canada Post tracking doesn't see it.) Whereas the package I sent to him on a Monday arrived on Friday of that same week.

Two shipments from two different parts of the world, both in limbo and neither showing any signs of moving. Every day I'm checking the mailbox and every day I'm slamming it shut with a series of F-words.