Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Are the USPS and Canada Post getting worse?

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Update (I know, you've all been wondering! )

Package from Greg finally arrived, and in speaking with him he tells me the tracking #s beginning with UM are indeed the new first-class mail, and that I should not listen to my friend at Canada Post who told me they are the low priority shipments that are not converted to Xpresspost when they hit Canada, which is why they are also not tracked beyond the U.S.

To contrast, my package from Ken at Lasers Edge shipped on Monday and arrived today (Friday). That's with a tracking # beginning with LJ, which was converted to Xpresspost and tracked all the way to delivery in my mailbox. (They don't actually provide me with the tracking # at LE but I tracked it in retrospect just out of curiosity.)

Now, I realize it's a lot closer from New Jersey to Ontario than it is from Utah to Ontario. But for one to arrive fully tracked in five days and the other to give no tracking beyond the border and take thirty days... well, I think Greg is off on this one. That's not to criticize him, I've been a customer of his for a great many years and will continue to be. I like all the vendors, I just find the postal system(s) a bit vexing at times.
    I am interested in the update. Glad you received the packages.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    I am interested in the update. Glad you received the packages.
    Thanks man! I know how these threads can come across sometimes.
    Two boys have been found rubbing linseed oil into the school cormorant.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Looks like another package sent by USPS to the wrong post office, and now slowly making its way to me...

I ordered a cd from a label in New Zealand months ago.After a while i emailed the label to inquire about the item.They apologized and mailed a second cd.It's been six weeks,no cd.The label said they've been having issues with international deliveries of their cds.They're not sure where the problem is.It's a small label so i'm not asking for my money back.This will make me think twice about ordering direct from NZ.

Strange.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Looks like another package sent by USPS to the wrong post office, and now slowly making its way to me...
    Today the USPS has stopped saying where it is. It just says: “The item is currently in transit to the next facility as of August 12, 2018.”

Hey idiots, it’s a 20 minute drive away from my house, and has been for almost three days!

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I ordered a CD from Laser's Edge in NJ that arrived in Ottawa, Ontario in 2 days! Not the theme of this thread but it does have to do with mail.

Today the USPS has stopped saying where it is. It just says: “The item is currently in transit to the next facility as of August 12, 2018.”

Hey idiots, it’s a 20 minute drive away from my house, and has been for almost three days!
    This kind of thing has happens to me when a package "starts" with UPS (their Mail Innovations sub-shipper, or whatever you want to call it), and then gets "transferred" to USPS. The tracking at that point goes to hell. I've seen tracking specify a package delivered to my mailbox on a day and time when the joint isn't even open.

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    This kind of thing has happens to me when a package "starts" with UPS (their Mail Innovations sub-shipper, or whatever you want to call it), and then gets "transferred" to USPS. The tracking at that point goes to hell. I've seen tracking specify a package delivered to my mailbox on a day and time when the joint isn't even open.
    I've seen that happen too.

A few weeks ago there was a sign on the door for our post office that said "Opening at 10:00am today. Sorry for the inconvenience."

Apparently it's been understaffed for a long time - we have some temporary letter carriers. This seems to have to do with the previous manager, who was TERRIBLE (a really difficult person for all to deal with). There was also a chronic problem with mail being stolen from the three mailboxes in town and checks laundered. But, he died, so people are hoping things will improve. Sad, sort of.

We've heard from the manager of the township that this is not supposed to happen (post offices understaffed and opening late), and he's contacted the Postmaster General's office several times. Weird because I'm sure there are plenty who want to work for the USPS. Sort of.
    "Of course you are allowed to trumpet your profound ignorance by disagreeing with me." -- Facelift

With the sheer volume of mail coming into that post office, it's probably not surprising that they are understaffed.

Quote Originally Posted by DocProgger View Post
    With the sheer volume of mail coming into that post office, it's probably not surprising that they are understaffed.
    Since you’ve been badmouthing people who’ve been posting in this thread because of it and have nothing to do aside from be a pain in the ass here, why are you even reading the thread?

That package finally arrived today. Although it originated in Toledo, Ohio with USPS, the tracking info has it originating in Philly.

That package finally arrived today. Although it originated in Toledo, Ohio with USPS, the tracking info has it originating in Philly.
    In 2003, I was sent concert tickets for a local show. They didn't arrive. 27 months later they were delivered... with the 2003 post mark on it. Who knows where that envelope was. Chances are it slipped behind something else and they just delivered when it reappeared. The envelope wasn't in bad shape at all.

Since you’ve been badmouthing people who’ve been posting in this thread because of it and have nothing to do aside from be a pain in the ass here, why are you even reading the thread?
    How is stating that a post office branch being understaffed to handle the volume of mail bad mouthing anyone (except maybe the post office)?

Quote Originally Posted by DocProgger View Post
    How is stating that a post office branch being understaffed to handle the volume of mail bad mouthing anyone (except maybe the post office)?
    I wasn't referring to the previous post. However, it was more of the usual assholery, as everyone knows.
    "Of course you are allowed to trumpet your profound ignorance by disagreeing with me." -- Facelift

I wasn't referring to the previous post. However, it was more of the usual assholery, as everyone knows.
    I was basically agreeing with you, but I see you're going to try again with the name calling insult thing. Sorry, not taking the bait.

Second life syndrome.
    "If you want to see the true nature of humanity, just look at the internet."

http://www.discogs.com/user/moecurlythanu/collection

As a retired mail carrier still in contact with some of my former co-workers, I know that things are getting worse. Management has been getting worse because no one wants to be a boss because of the interference and micromanaging of upper and middle management. So the people who do the job are only there because they couldn't handle the job of carrier or clerk. They would constantly complain that we weren't fast enough in a job that they sucked at doing. It's hard to hire new employees. When I started 30+ years ago, we got full benefits, sick and vacation leave and Sundays off. Now they may work any day of the week including holidays (usually around 60 hours a week.) No sick leave, No vacation time, no health insurance until you become a regular carrier which can take a few years.(I think it's been closer to a year in Seattle where I worked because so many of us were retiring.) One other problem here was so many new hires were rejected for failing the drug test. I'm so happy to be out of there.

yes

I've got a package coming from Japan that according to the tracking information has now made 2 separate stops in Jamaica, NY and 2 separate stops in Queens, NY. It's made it as far west as Warrendale, PA (the main hub before heading for delivery,) but now has been diverted to Pittsburgh. This is just rank incompetence. It doesn't happen often, but it shouldn't happen at all.

I guess this has become the Courier Complaint thread.

Today, when we had local Flash Flood warnings, FedEx delivered a package containing a laptop computer, and instead of walking up the steps to our front door they left it outside our garage, on the ground, with one of our plastic recycling bins on top of it. Yeah, that doesn't really work, moron. "FedEx - For when it absolutely, positively needs to get soaked."

This one's mostly just funny: I've been watching the progress of one of those big Restoration Hardware catalogs as it slowly wends its way here (why the F does it have a tracking number? I guess because it's a pound or two of paper and plastic.) It's been en route since September 24th, and for some reason made it to our to our post office about 11 days ago where it seems to have sat for a week or so then was forwarded on somewhere else. It'll probably make its way back here at some point, but it's just going in the recycling bin because it's junk mail and we have no interest in it.

Of course, this is the kind of thing that increases the Chinese climate change hoax, so it's actually not that funny.

Had some important outgoing mail I wanted to give to the mailman today, but since all he had to deliver to us was some junk mail, he made an executive decision to not deliver it (you can see photos of your incoming mail on the USPS website these days). Probably a Federal Offense. Yet he asks for a tip every Christmas...

Had some important outgoing mail I wanted to give to the mailman today, but since all he had to deliver to us was some junk mail, he made an executive decision to not deliver it (you can see photos of your incoming mail on the USPS website these days). Probably a Federal Offense. Yet he asks for a tip every Christmas...
    I get a daily email with the images of the mail enclosed.

Be glad you didn't get a pipe bomb.

I sent a customer a parcel with about $300 worth of rare vinyl. Customer lives in Austin, TX. Parcel was delivered today...to someone in San Antonio.