Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Are the USPS and Canada Post getting worse?

^ Perhaps a case of black mail?
    "And your little sister's immaculate virginity wings away on the bony shoulders of a young horse named George who stole surreptitiously into her geography revision."

Occasional musical musings on https://darkelffile.blogspot.com/

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    A little while ago today USPS tracking said a package was due by 8pm tonight. Suddenly the arrival date changed to June 20th and some of the tracking “steps” had been deleted.
    This package finally arrived today, five days later. It was Media Mail, so I wasn't expecting blinding speed, but it was only coming from New Jersey. The weird thing is they allegedly scanned it twice in NJ, then twice in NY, then it went back to NJ, then took a few more days to get to where I live. I think what happened is that it was routed to Yonkers by accident, and instead of somehow getting it to me (about 10 minutes away), they sent it back to NJ, so it added a few extra days. Annoying, but nothing compared to what Progatron is going through!
    "Of course you are allowed to trumpet your profound ignorance by disagreeing with me." -- Facelift

Looks like it spent a lot of time in LA doing very little!
    It's as if he ordered a Kardashian.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Another week, another no-show. Is it unreasonable of me to say that a package that has been in transit for 23 days, 16 of which have been in the same country I am in, should have damn well been delivered by now?

Package from the Netherlands arrived yesterday.
    Two boys have been found rubbing linseed oil into the school cormorant.

Crazy...
    "Of course you are allowed to trumpet your profound ignorance by disagreeing with me." -- Facelift

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Another week, another no-show. Is it unreasonable of me to say that a package that has been in transit for 23 days, 16 of which have been in the same country I am in, should have damn well been delivered by now?

Package from the Netherlands arrived yesterday.
    I feel from you but I've had a single instance, out of hundreds, when shipping took forever.

I'm still waiting for a pillow case from China that my kid ordered nearly two years ago for X-mas.

On the flip-side, we just bought an antique French print that took about four days, but, apparently, made it from Brussels to our doorstep in one day.
    The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone.

I just had a package take 16 days to reach me. Mailed from the west coast. I live on the west coast.

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    I just had a package take 16 days to reach me. Mailed from the west coast. I live on the west coast.
    I think every CD that you bought from me - sent from South Korea - arrived at your house far more quickly than that!

Yes USPS the delivery times lag, however that doesn't bother me much. I'm frustrated with the company UPS. UPS mistakes my address for neighbors addresses 50% of the time. For example- UPS will deliver my package to 123 Maple instead of my address 123 Midway. On the other hand, the USPS never miss my address.

Quote Originally Posted by Koreabruce View Post
    I think every CD that you bought from me - sent from South Korea - arrived at your house far more quickly than that!
    Absolutely no prob whatsoever there!

Quote Originally Posted by Crawford Glissadevil View Post
    Yes USPS the delivery times lag, however that doesn't bother me much. I'm frustrated with the company UPS. UPS mistakes my address for neighbors addresses 50% of the time. For example- UPS will deliver my package to 123 Maple instead of my address 123 Midway. On the other hand, the USPS never miss my address.
    UPS sucks! I hear it's very likely they're going to strike this summer. A sub driver was on my route and couldn't figure out my suite number, no matter what. A package rode around in his truck five days longer than it should have thanks to his inability to discern numbers on doors.

Then a guy delivering for Amazon called me because he couldn't figure out my address, either. Insane! Maybe I should deliver for Amazon in my region. I know it like the back of my hand.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    On the flip-side, we just bought an antique French print that took about four days, but, apparently, made it from Brussels to our doorstep in one day.
    I forgot to mention it was shipped DHL. Minor detail.
    The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone.

This package finally arrived today, five days later. It was Media Mail, so I wasn't expecting blinding speed, but it was only coming from New Jersey. The weird thing is they allegedly scanned it twice in NJ, then twice in NY, then it went back to NJ, then took a few more days to get to where I live. I think what happened is that it was routed to Yonkers by accident, and instead of somehow getting it to me (about 10 minutes away), they sent it back to NJ, so it added a few extra days. Annoying, but nothing compared to what Progatron is going through!
    I'm pretty sure that's Doug Heffernan's route. You could complain to IPS, but cut the guy some slack, he was probably on some long lunch breaks.

Quote Originally Posted by DocProgger View Post
    I'm pretty sure that's Doug Heffernan's route. You could complain to IPS, but cut the guy some slack, he was probably on some long lunch breaks.

I used to order coffee from Hawaii. It would always arrive in 2-3 days, USPS.
    All 1st class mail is airmail from there.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    Mayonnaise on a hamburger is an Abomination.

I had a portly Postman who told me the following:
    Let me let you in on a little secret--zip codes are meaningless.
    Also certified mail is always registered, but registered mail is not necessarily certified.

This is definitely Canada Post's/Canada Customs' ineptitude. This time around, at least. Spoke with Greg about it just out of curiosity, and he's had daily complaints from Canadian customers. Apparently orders that reached Vancouver on June 6 and 7 have still not made it to those people. Mine was June 11. Greg actually seems pretty angry about it, I expected a bit more of a 'shrug' response but I guess he is concerned this kind of appalling service could affect his business.

No delivery now for three days during the holiday weekend, so if it doesn't arrive on Tuesday it will be a minimum of a month since it was shipped - with tracking. Meanwhile I ordered a CD from an Amazon marketplace seller that was shipped from Vancouver on Monday and arrived yesterday (Friday.)

Further research reveals that because of the explosion in cheap online ordering from China, customs is overwhelmed with packages daily.

Further research reveals that because of the explosion in cheap online ordering from China, customs is overwhelmed with packages daily.
    There are products on ebay that ship from China that cost like a buck fifty with free shipping. Even with slave labor, I don't know how they do it.
    "If you want to see the true nature of humanity, just look at the internet."

http://www.discogs.com/user/moecurlythanu/collection

This is definitely Canada Post's/Canada Customs' ineptitude. This time around, at least. Spoke with Greg about it just out of curiosity, and he's had daily complaints from Canadian customers. Apparently orders that reached Vancouver on June 6 and 7 have still not made it to those people. Mine was June 11. Greg actually seems pretty angry about it, I expected a bit more of a 'shrug' response but I guess he is concerned this kind of appalling service could affect his business.

No delivery now for three days during the holiday weekend, so if it doesn't arrive on Tuesday it will be a minimum of a month since it was shipped - with tracking. Meanwhile I ordered a CD from an Amazon marketplace seller that was shipped from Vancouver on Monday and arrived yesterday (Friday.)

That sucks, man. I just shipped a small parcel to Toronto on the 14th, and it arrived on the 22nd. I usually have no issues sending stuff up there.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    There are products on ebay that ship from China that cost like a buck fifty with free shipping. Even with slave labor, I don't know how they do it.
    Yeah, and those are the ones piling up at customs here in Canada. My understanding is that they are looking for fentanyl in packages coming into the country, largely from China. I've also read several accounts that the "E-packet" and free shipping parcels are given the lowest priority, which makes it all the more unbelievable that my package from the U.S. with fully paid shipping/tracking, should be stuck there and taking so long. Furthermore, I've since learned that tracking #s beginning with UM are no longer traceable once they are out of the U.S., which makes things more frustrating on my end, since I used to be able to at least see some movement/progress on a late shipment.

I was chalking it up to "my package has fallen off a truck somewhere", but to hear from Greg that his other Canadian customers also don't have theirs makes me wonder what the hell is going on.

We're expecting a package from USPS that is supposedly due to arrive by 8pm tonight, but left Atlanta at 2am this morning and no further tracking info. Somehow I doubt it's going to arrive at our post office, get sorted, and delivered by tonight.

We're expecting a package from USPS that is supposedly due to arrive by 8pm tonight, but left Atlanta at 2am this morning and no further tracking info. Somehow I doubt it's going to arrive at our post office, get sorted, and delivered by tonight.

I would call the Postmaster General. That's inexcusable!

Update (I know, you've all been wondering! )

Package from Greg finally arrived, and in speaking with him he tells me the tracking #s beginning with UM are indeed the new first-class mail, and that I should not listen to my friend at Canada Post who told me they are the low priority shipments that are not converted to Xpresspost when they hit Canada, which is why they are also not tracked beyond the U.S.

To contrast, my package from Ken at Lasers Edge shipped on Monday and arrived today (Friday). That's with a tracking # beginning with LJ, which was converted to Xpresspost and tracked all the way to delivery in my mailbox. (They don't actually provide me with the tracking # at LE but I tracked it in retrospect just out of curiosity.)

Now, I realize it's a lot closer from New Jersey to Ontario than it is from Utah to Ontario. But for one to arrive fully tracked in five days and the other to give no tracking beyond the border and take thirty days... well, I think Greg is off on this one. That's not to criticize him, I've been a customer of his for a great many years and will continue to be. I like all the vendors, I just find the postal system(s) a bit vexing at times.

UM stands for "Uhhh...Maybe."