Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: In 76-77 while punk was raging....

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    The REAL punk started in 1980.
    No, that was the secondwave of punk, initially called street punk then later called Oi! The real punk was 76.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Camel - Another Night
    National Health - Borogoves (Part One)
    Roy Harper - Naked Flame
    Oh yea, three good ones there. And here's a few more of my fav pop songs from 76-77:

Roxy Music - Do the Strand
    Genesis - Ripples
    Nils Lofgren - Cry Tough
    Steely Dan - Black Cow
    Ian Dury - What a Waste

Lino
    Though the end of the 70's generally reminds me of the inglorious end of the glorious era of prog rock, I'll admit that there are some albums from that era that aren't bad at all. However, it still makes me a little frustrated that people refuse to open their minds to the phenominal music that eminated from the punk camp in those years. I appreciate that prog fans don't miss what they feel they don't like in the first place, but there is a lot of punk that carried some of the same progressive rock sensibilities to their sound. But anyway....

Quote Originally Posted by Lino View Post
    but there is a lot of punk that carried some of the same progressive rock sensibilities to their sound.
    New Wave yes, but not punk.

However, this may be another one of those semantics things. I know in Germany, for example, that PUNK covers everything chronologically from pub rock to punk to New Wave. Perhaps it's like that too in the US?
    Last edited by PeterG; 02-15-2013 at 02:40 PM. Reason: Punk not pub rock

Lino
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    New Wave yes, but not punk.

However, this may be another one of those semantics things.
    Perhaps. For me personally, "new wave" brings up a totally different connotation. I still believe that there were punk bands that were skillfull, creative, inventive . Just trying to battle the stereotype that punk was a bunch of people that didn't know how to play instruments, yelling and screaming and being general mal-contents. lol Remember, back in the day, pretty well EVERYBODY got caught up in the changing times. Even some of the great musicians of the prog heyday, cut their hair and shifted towards a simpler different approach. Chris Spedding for one example, played on jazz and avant gard records, and he joined the punk wave! Many of the friends I knew who were heavily in to prog...a couple guys in particular who travelled the world following ELP..both became punkers...to this day, they still can talk prog with anybody, but have as much love and respect for the punk scene. I was involved at the university radio station as the transformation was going down...I watched with my own eyes as everybody got caught up in it. It wasn't considered garbage...it was new and exciting. I remember interviewing one punk band from England and their bass player was a huge fan of Jeff Beck's Blow by Blow. Later they went for lunch to the caf with the station manager and my prog show was on the air, and they told him they loved my show, and were really enjoying it. Just to point out that many of them were there with prog...they just never got stuck there.

I'd take the Ramones over any song on those lists, except for "do the strand", which was from 72, anyway.

No, that was the secondwave of punk, initially called street punk then later called Oi! The real punk was 76.
    The first wave was major labels supported "punk". In 76 it became quickly a fashion thing. No REAL punk at all. Street credibility had been infiltrated with the Ois and political activism with the anarchos. And post 80s stuff is the only punk that survives till now as an organized scene... The 70s "punks" died a quick death in their own vomit.
    Last edited by spacefreak; 02-15-2013 at 10:36 AM.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Lino
    Scagss right on.
    to add one more thing: proggers pride themselves on skilfull instrumentation, and rightfully so. However, I'd love to see them try some of these punk songs that seems so "simple". Not as easy as you might think.

I don't have a problem with punk music and like some of it (though not the more boneheaded, reactionary elements), I also respect its musicians, but as someone who wasn't around at the time, I find the claims still being made about it embarassing. I honestly roll my eyes at some of the drivel that some people in the media come out with when it's brought up.

There were a lot of good musicians in the punk era. Not in the 'virtuoso' sense but a lot of them could play rock music well- The Ramones and The Damned, for instance. I find a lot of heralded indie rock far sloppier and half-assed than punk.

Perhaps. For me personally, "new wave" brings up a totally different connotation. I still believe that there were punk bands that were skillfull, creative, inventive . Just trying to battle the stereotype that punk was a bunch of people that didn't know how to play instruments, yelling and screaming and being general mal-contents. lol Remember, back in the day, pretty well EVERYBODY got caught up in the changing times. Even some of the great musicians of the prog heyday, cut their hair and shifted towards a simpler different approach. Chris Spedding for one example, played on jazz and avant gard records, and he joined the punk wave! Many of the friends I knew who were heavily in to prog...a couple guys in particular who travelled the world following ELP..both became punkers...to this day, they still can talk prog with anybody, but have as much love and respect for the punk scene. I was involved at the university radio station as the transformation was going down...I watched with my own eyes as everybody got caught up in it. It wasn't considered garbage...it was new and exciting. I remember interviewing one punk band from England and their bass player was a huge fan of Jeff Beck's Blow by Blow. Later they went for lunch to the caf with the station manager and my prog show was on the air, and they told him they loved my show, and were really enjoying it. Just to point out that many of them were there with prog...they just never got stuck there.

Mmmhhh!!!... Lino, Toronto was a hotbed in Canada for punk ... Toronto was often aping what was happening in London.... so, despite the fact that you're probably 5 to 10 years polder than me (I was still in grade 10 is 77) , your view on punk nears a bit mine (at least in the visible phenomenum), it was a local thing really, specific to Toronto in Canada... I would not extrapolize this to North Am... Even The Police's first concert (on their Outlandos tour) at The Edge club in 78 had only 13 people in the attendence, despite Roxane being a hit there and nowhere else on the planet... Many Europeans on the contiinent think Outlandos is The Police's second album...
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

The first wave was major labels supported "punk". In 76 it became quickly a fashion thing. No REAL punk at all. Street credibility had been infiltrated with the Ois and political activism with the anarchos. And post 80s stuff is the only punk that survives till now as an organized scene... The 70s "punks" died a quick death in their own vomit.
    You're mistaken with Jimi

Punks chocked themselves with their huge wads of gob stocked in their mouthes and unable to spit it out... it went in their lungs instead of on stage

I remember Henry Rollins (Black Flaq) saying in concert in 83 or 84 that it was passé to spit on the band, you indeed had to vomit
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by simon moon View Post
    Sloche - Stadacone
    Yezda Urfa - Sacred Baboon
    Happy the Man
    Bloody hell, there was some incredible music from those years!
    I wish I'd known those bands back then, main ones for me would be:-

Pink Floyd - Animals
    Jethro Tull - Songs From The Wood
    Yes - Going For The One
    Supertramp - Even In The Quietest Moments
    Hawkwind - Quark Strangeness & Charm
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Some of the best prog albums were issued at that period... I can list more than 100 albums that I would highly recommend

Jefferson James
    proggers pride themselves on skilfull instrumentation, and rightfully so. However, I'd love to see them try some of these punk songs that seems so "simple". Not as easy as you might think.
    One of my favorite "punk" bands came out of Manhattan Beach in '78; much of their music is totally fuckin' weird and very difficult to play. They were mixing avant and punk and prog and everything else for that matter. The Descendants. Amazing band!!!!

^^
    Awesome band; one of the top US punk bands... Unfortunately the took the Epitaph road during the grunge years.

Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Always hated punk with a passion, still do. I appreciate its energy and agression, just not its execution. Funny though, we always hear about this big punk movement "raging' in 76-77, but in the States anyway, it wasn't terribly big at all. Never high up on the billboard album charts, certainly not on the radio. And in my neighborhood, didn't know of a single punker. By the time I was in high school (82-85), and college (86 to 90), I did run into some punkers, but they were total outcasts. I can't think of a time it was ever hip or cool to like punk. Recently I was in physical therapy and found out the owner and main therapist was a major punk fan in college. He's about the only "normal" punker I've run across. These days he doesn't listen to it much. He's still heavily into Primus, and is quite a fan of 80's King Crimson and even some Steve Morse music, so he branched out a bit. Good guy to talk music with.

Lino
    Quote Originally Posted by Yanks2009 View Post
    I can't think of a time it was ever hip or cool to like punk
    You're either too young, or you just didn't hang in circles that were that cool. lol

You are incorrect. That is not the British perspective of how it was at all.

You are incorrect. That is not the British perspective of how it was at all.
    The music press official perspective, I guess. Crass and the "Decontrol" single by Discharge changed completely the scene... The second wave rose up from the gutter and usurped the crown from the 77 preening poseurs.
    Last edited by spacefreak; 02-15-2013 at 02:54 PM.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

The music press official perspective, I guess.
    You guess wrong. I was 15 in 76 and living in central London, and I knew Billy Idol.

Quote Originally Posted by scags View Post
    "do the strand", which was from 72, anyway.
    I did not know that, thanks. I always associate it with Viva from 76, hence my error. Was it a single in 72? Because I just looked it up and it first appeared on album in 73.

Though the end of the 70's generally reminds me of the inglorious end of the glorious era of prog rock, I'll admit that there are some albums from that era that aren't bad at all. However, it still makes me a little frustrated that people refuse to open their minds to the phenominal music that eminated from the punk camp in those years. I appreciate that prog fans don't miss what they feel they don't like in the first place, but there is a lot of punk that carried some of the same progressive rock sensibilities to their sound. But anyway....
    I know that bands like The Ex, Uz Jsme Doma and similar bands created progressive sound around punk rock foundations but that was little bit later in 80s and 90s. What "punk" albums with progressive sensibilities you can recommend from 70s? Maybe This Heat, The Pop Group could be considered punk roots bands with prog influence...

You're either too young, or you just didn't hang in circles that were that cool. lol
    Trust me, when I was in high School and later in college, the punkers were the biggest losers, ignored by just about everyone. They were the outcasts and misfits. I'd say in college their numbers were a bit larger. I was on a college radio station, and nearly all the students in charge were into punk, but less than half the staff. And maybe it soured me to anything punk, but those were the biggest assholes on campus. They treated the non-punkers terribly. They also vandalized the station and station offices when a plan was announced where the school would have more say on what went out on the air. Sure, the school was taking away control from the students, but that is no excuse to cause serious damage to the place. Did they represent all people into that music? Of course not, but they left a bad taste in my mouth over it.

Not too many punks among the Young Republicans, Thomas. Most of the people I went to punk shows in the late 70's / early 80's with also were at Gabriel shows, crimson shows, Hammill shows, also. Most of us (who are still around), are also doctors, professors, and business owners.

I did not know that, thanks. I always associate it with Viva from 76, hence my error. Was it a single in 72? Because I just looked it up and it first appeared on album in 73.
    The single is from 1973 as well...
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS