Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Big Ears 2019

Oh, It's On! Looks like Sunday will Mandatory, no ealy departures.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Wow.Kim Kardashian will be there.If i'd known that sooner i'd have have made it my business to attend.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

At least she convinced Kanye to stay home this time

Cool beans! Looks to be fun times ahead.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Quote Originally Posted by walt View Post
    Wow.Kim Kardashian will be there.If i'd known that sooner i'd have have made it my business to attend.
    Her ass is headlining on Saturday. Her agent misheard the name of the festival and figured her for a natural.

Banned

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Sunday looks like its going to have some tough decisions for me, Saturday is only slightly better.

Thursday
    Bill Frisell

Friday
    Fire!
    Harold Budd
    Mary Halverson Code Girl

Saturday
    Thumbscrew
    Brooklyn Rider
    Carla Bley
    Carla Kihlstedt
    Harold Budd
    The Messthetics
    Wadada Leo Smith
    This Is Not This Heat

Sunday
    Nik Bartsch Ronin
    The Art Ensemble Of Chicago
    Bill Frisell
    Harold Budd
    Richard Thompson
    Punch Brothers
    Sun Of Goldfinger
    Vijay Iyer & Craig Taborn
    Wadada Leo Smith
    Last edited by NogbadTheBad; 12-04-2018 at 06:33 PM.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Her ass is headlining on Saturday.l.
    That'll be an all day concert.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Then we would be All Day Suckers
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Her ass is headlining on Saturday. Her agent misheard the name of the festival and figured her for a natural.
    Big Rears does have a fine ring to it.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

It’s all gonna be hard.

In a perfect world /Gonna hope for:

THURSDAY
    Rachel Grimes
    Theo Bleckmann
    Derek Gripper
    Mathias Eick
    Artifacts Trio

FRIDAY
    Oren Ambarchi in some format
    Code Girl
    Ralph Towner
    Harold Budd
    Shia Maestro
    Alien Flower
    Lonnie Holley And Messthetics

SATURDAY
    Dejohnette/Coltrane/Garrison
    KTL
    Wadada solo
    ICE
    This Is Not This Heat
    MAYBE Messthetics and Thumbscrew

SUNDAY
    Ronin
    Richard Thompson
    Kahan Kaylor And Brooklyn Rider
    Sun Of Goldfinger
    MAYBE something else

PHEW
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

Ian, I don’t see This Is Not on Sunday????
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    Cool beans! Looks to be fun times ahead.
    What an amazingly insane lineup....
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    Ian, I don’t see This Is Not on Sunday????
    Cut & Paste error
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

All night drone lineup announced, including Stephen O'Malley and This Is Not This Heat.

And apparently they weren't done with lineup additions:

So, we know that we said we announced our full lineup back in November, when we added the likes of This Is Not This Heat, the Punch Brothers, Mountain Man, and so many others. But that wasn’t quite right: We’re adding more artists and performances next week, and we’re very excited for them. Sign up for the festival newsletter on our website to be among the first to know.

More Is Better, as long as I have a chance to see most of what I want.
    There are so many mix-and-match possibility's.
    Always room for a 'secret show' or two.
    -- Aristotle

I experience my own personal all night drone every night and that is gonna have to suffice, said the old guy.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Haven't done a drone yet, feel i would be too tired the next day.
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Haven't done a drone yet, feel i would be too tired the next day.
    Ian states clearly what I beat around the bush about
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

More. With potential guitar overload!

Some Surprise Big Ears Additions!

Big Ears celebrates its first decade in just more than two months in Knoxville, Tenn., with a roster that already includes 90 of the world’s most legendary composers and performers, cutting-edge musicians and bands, and multiple projects that you won’t see anywhere else during the same long weekend. Today, we are thrilled to announce several additions to this year’s festival that help confirm 2019’s status as the broadest but deepest Big Ears yet.

ABSÎNT

Big Ears 2019 will also include the world premiere of an incredible new band, Absînt. New Orleans saxophonist, clarinetist, and composer Aurora Nealand learned the lingua franca of the city’s vintage jazz past (including an extended exploration of the Sidney Bichet songbook at Preservation Hall) before unapologetically pushing it ahead. For the first time, she will join a loaded ensemble of Bill Frisell, David Torn, and Tim Berne (who brought this possibility to our attention) for this special occasion, which you’ll only see at Big Ears 2019.

MARY LATTIMORE

The harpist Mary Lattimore, on the heels of releasing two of 2018’s most lauded albums, will perform her first proper Big Ears solo set after appearing as a special guest in the past. With her harp, Lattimore creates brilliant vistas, which seem to hover just above the surface of the earth. NPR called her recent album, Hundreds of Days, “a collective testament to the power of the beginner’s mind, or of allowing what you don't know to reinvigorate the possibilities of what you’re known for.” Her subsequent collaboration with guitarist Meg Baird made a New Yorker list of the 10 best albums of 2018.

We

This showed up the other day.
    I thought the shows at the Pilot Light were the 'unannounced' shows.
    It is a large walk in closet of a place.
    I think it can confine 50-60 people.
    Another-surprise-the-pilot-light-curation-for-big-ears
    -- Aristotle

I’ve seen a number of these acts at my local walk-in-closet, so, even though they are very good to great, I will probably concentrate on the bigger names I wouldn’t otherwise get to see!
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    I'm glad something came up for me this weekend. Even though I've kvetched about aspects of this festival, I'm always a little sad when it rolls around and I'm still in frownland. Please be thorough in your reviews peoples!

Quote Originally Posted by markwoll View Post
    More. With potential guitar overload!

Some Surprise Big Ears Additions!

Big Ears celebrates its first decade in just more than two months in Knoxville, Tenn., with a roster that already includes 90 of the world’s most legendary composers and performers, cutting-edge musicians and bands, and multiple projects that you won’t see anywhere else during the same long weekend. Today, we are thrilled to announce several additions to this year’s festival that help confirm 2019’s status as the broadest but deepest Big Ears yet.

ABSÎNT

Big Ears 2019 will also include the world premiere of an incredible new band, Absînt. New Orleans saxophonist, clarinetist, and composer Aurora Nealand learned the lingua franca of the city’s vintage jazz past (including an extended exploration of the Sidney Bichet songbook at Preservation Hall) before unapologetically pushing it ahead. For the first time, she will join a loaded ensemble of Bill Frisell, David Torn, and Tim Berne (who brought this possibility to our attention) for this special occasion, which you’ll only see at Big Ears 2019.

MARY LATTIMORE

The harpist Mary Lattimore, on the heels of releasing two of 2018’s most lauded albums, will perform her first proper Big Ears solo set after appearing as a special guest in the past. With her harp, Lattimore creates brilliant vistas, which seem to hover just above the surface of the earth. NPR called her recent album, Hundreds of Days, “a collective testament to the power of the beginner’s mind, or of allowing what you don't know to reinvigorate the possibilities of what you’re known for.” Her subsequent collaboration with guitarist Meg Baird made a New Yorker list of the 10 best albums of 2018.

We
    Christ...how many more bands do they need?!
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobo Chang Ba View Post
    Christ...how many more bands do they need?!
    I am going and I do NOT disagree. I'm now at the point that I am making lists of who I will regretably miss seeing....
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

The Kennedy center has a bunch of Big Ears acts this spring in Direct Current. Code Girl, Triptych ( the Mapplethorpe thing ), Gabriel Kahane , Brooklyn Rider.
    I think they do something similar each year. I would imagine that some of the other acts will be on the East coast somewhere in the same timeframe.
    Not saying it would be cheaper, but might allow some flexibility in scheduling.
    -- Aristotle

Detailed schedule was posted today.

I have a few conflicts, but several of those involve artists who will play more than once during the weekend. So, looks to be a pretty solid (and BUSY) weekend of awesome music.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com