Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Big Ears 2019

Quote Originally Posted by ergalthema View Post
    At some point, they moved some times around. Not sure when that happened, but thought I'd mention it. Didn't affect my plans too much.
    It seems that having the app and being flexible is the rule of the day.
    I can see the Trolley looking like one of those Indian railroad train cars, people hanging off everywhere as schedules change on the fly.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by markwoll View Post
    I can see the Trolley looking like one of those Indian railroad train cars, people hanging off everywhere as schedules change on the fly.
    Don't forget the chickens getting loose and flying around in the car....
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Just messaged you guys to set up a group for on the ground same as last year. Anyone need in let me know & PM your phone number & real name
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

An uneventful drive down to Knoxville. Got checked in and had some BBQ.
    Off to see Bill Frisell & Greg Tardy.
    See y'all tomorrow.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Hi Ian, please include me in group chat. 2245323375. Thanks, Larry

Day 1
    Got up early to fly to Charlotte and drive in to Knoxville, got in around 2.30 with first band up at 4.
    Peter Gregson - solo cello, I usually like this stuff but there was to much backing tracks so left after 10 minutes
    Bill Frisell & Thomas Morgan - noodly jazz guitar and cello, venue was packed, not really my thing, left after 3 tracks
    Kukangendia - Japanese trio playing minimalist brutal jazz with heavy focus on single repeated notes, really excellent
    Matthias Eick Quintet - Jaga Jazzist trumpeter with a good modern jazz band, really good, best of the day
    Yunohana Variations - Trio of two percussionists and a sound sculptor, really interesting improv with lots of movement.
    Mercury Rev- NY based cult band who sounded like bad Marillion to me, left after 2 songs.
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

nice - hope you guys are having a fucking blast
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

It's been awesome so far. One surprising highlight is The Comet is Coming, which I didn't actually plan on seeing but gave a whirl. CRUSHING sax/keys/drums trio...heavy, powerful stuff.

Another fun treat for me was Coupler, who were kind of like John Carpenter jamming with Kraftwerk while Rival Consoles did the beats. They're doing a live score for an old silent film today, very excited to check them out. Plus, today is my first Harold Budd show, This != This Heat, KTL (!!), Columbia Icefield, Ben Neill, Nils Frahm, and...christ, and there's still ANOTHER day to go after this.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

No YT vid is going to capture the sheer energy of these guys through a massive PA system with thundering low end, but this gives a fair sense of what they were doing:

If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

^ At first I thought the sax part was going to be endless repetition, but it resolved and the track was quite good. I'll have to look into these guys a bit more. Thanks for posting.

See them if you can, great live.
    Ian

In answer to an earlier question, I know Debi Byrd isn't going because I've been speaking with her the last couple of days about ProgDay stuff. So she's at home.

A shout out to all my friends who I trust are having a great time! My thoughts are with you. Wish I could be there. I'm getting too old to keep missing these sorts of events.

Howdy Michael!!

Currently watching This Is Not This Heat tear things up. Wow, just wow. Their albums are great but this is on another level entirely.

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post

Currently watching This Is Not This Heat tear things up. Wow, just wow. Their albums are great but this is on another level entirely.
    I heard that they lip-sync their entire show.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    Howdy Michael!!

WoW!.
    A live report ... really appreciate it!.

Have fun!.

Regards!
    Pura Vida!.

There are two kinds of music. Good music, and the other kind. ∞
    Duke Ellington.

Day 2
    Alvin Lucier - super low key minimalist vocals and the sax, didn't stay for the 3rd piece
    Mary Halvoson Code Girl - modern jazz with good vocals, rather good
    Carl Stone - laptop electronica, stayed 30 minutes, enjoyable
    The Comet Is Coming - stunningly good heavy electronic funky jazz with superb sax player, best gig of the festival so far
    Absint - Torn, Frisell, Berne, Nealand, avant noisy experimental jazz, not really for me
    Spiritualize - 80's moody indie rock with lovelorn songs, not bad stayed for half the show
    Fire! - swedish heavy squonky modern jazz that grooved, loads of fun
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Day 2

The Comet Is Coming - stunningly good heavy electronic funky jazz with superb sax player, best gig of the festival so far
    You are the second person to rave about this band, so I had better check them out. At work, so can't listen right now, but the bandcamp page seems to have comments that refer to something known as 'psychedelic jazz', which sounds super-tasty to me. Unfortunately, for me, although their touring schedule takes them to Canadian dates twice, nothing close enough to Toronto.

neil

A few more winners, at least from me:

Apart from This is Not This Heat, Nils Frahm was really really impressive too. And KTL!!! Like Sunn O))) but with synths

Columbia Icefield was very good but wasn't connecting with me personally so I headed across town to see Kristin Anna Valtysdottir (formerly of Mum), who was also quite good but wasn't holding my attention as much as I'd hoped.

Only disappointment so far was not getting in to see Harold Budd yesterday; apparently the soundcheck went long and my evening's schedule was just too closely packed. I'm seeing him again tonight so it isn't a terrible thing, plus I met some lovely new people from DC while in line

Still one day to go: more Lucier, Ronin (!), Budd, Sun of Goldfinger, and Yves Tumor. I *have* to see Budd at least once this weekend so that's the biggest can't-miss for me today.

On the whole, this has been another great year...the one biggest issue I have had (and one I'm pretty sure others will echo) is that it is starting to feel a bit too big. So many shows are hitting capacity now with huge lines still waiting to get in, and even once you DO get in, some of the rooms can get uncomfortably packed. The lineup is larger too and more shows are backing into one another; in theory that should be fine but once travel time and the need to arrive 30 minutes early is baked in...it means like I had to do with Budd last night, I had to skip entirely. For me personally the fest continues to be such a massive shot of awesome in a single weekend that I'm already 100% in for next year...but, that doesn't mean I'm not seeing room for some improvement either.

Nik Bartsch Ronin, WOW!!!, that is all.
    Ian

Day 3
    Columbia Icefield - experimental ambient noisy jazz with Nate Wooley and Mary Halvorson, very good
    Matt Wilsons Honey & Salt, americana jazz with fun songs, fun show
    KTL - heavy dark drone from laptop and guitar, very good in a crushing way
    Thumbscrew - modern jazz trio with Mary Halvorson, excellent
    Carla Bley Trio - solid jazz trio with Andy Sheppard on sax, very nice
    The Messthetics - hard rocking instrumental trio with ex Fugazi rhythm section and experimental jazz guitarist Anthony Pirog, superb
    This Is Not This Heat- post punk noise rock with an excellent vibe, best show of the day
    Sons Of Kemet - bouncy danceable jazz with tuba and oustanding sax player, lasted 3 songs as I was beat and went to bed
    Ian

Trapped in the airport for 2 hours. ‘Mechanical issues ‘. As I typed this, updated to two more hours......
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

Ouch. I would blame John.

I *am* history's greatest monster

Harold Budd just got up and walked out of the Harold Budd concert. Probably not a good sign.

I actually hope he is ok. But am also honestly kind of disappointed as he was one of the BIG names for me this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    Trapped in the airport for 2 hours. ‘Mechanical issues ‘. As I typed this, updated to two more hours......
    Got home 4.5 hours late. Not the worst thing that ever happened to me.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com