Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: RIP Danny Kirwan

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post

Yeah, I kind of always considered him as a RnR casualty, partly because of his young age and the durg scene (which shook the elder Peter gren's foundations for quite a while)... Didn't they both find refuge in sects, during themed-70's.... and thought he was long gone.
    If by "sects", you mean "religious cults", that's Spencer you're thinking of. Greeny did convert to Christianity, but apparently that wasn't the reason he left the band, but rather his desire for the band to donate all their excess royalties to famine relief (following his notorious LSD experience at that German commune). Spencer was the one who went AWOL in the middle of a tour, to join The Children Of God cult.

Kirwan was always my favorite singer and songwriter in the band. The first 2 FM albums I bought were Then Play On and Bare Trees (somehow, I missed Future Games when it came out), years before the Buckingham/Nicks era, which I despised for a long time. I've pulled everything out I have that he's on this weekend; I had his solo album Second Chapter for a few years, but found it way too simplistic and commercial. RIP

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    Another fan here. RIP to a very underrated songwriter. Love "Woman Of A Thousand Years" as well, Bill.

Quote Originally Posted by soundsweird View Post
    Kirwan was always my favorite singer and songwriter in the band. The first 2 FM albums I bought were Then Play On and Bare Trees (somehow, I missed Future Games when it came out), years before the Buckingham/Nicks era, which I despised for a long time. I've pulled everything out I have that he's on this weekend; I had his solo album Second Chapter for a few years, but found it way too simplistic and commercial. RIP
    My favorite singer as well. Somehow, FM managed to have such great singers then as I love Bob Welch's and Peter Green's voices too.

His solo music just wasn't in the league of his Fleetwood Mac material. Seems the songwriting suffered down the road, anytime someone got heavily into drugs, even if their writing was enhanced initially.