Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New from from Coltrane coming soon

sourdough advocate

New from from Coltrane coming soon

I'm looking forward to hearing this one! Could be the theme music for my summer.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/07/a...e=sectionfront
    When in doubt....

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    A few posts started to talk about it here, but it's nice to have a separate thread.

The news had got me on a Coltrane kick right now and that's not a bad place to be.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Like, cool, an' stuff.

Attached Images Attached Images

It's tempting for me to pre-order it from Amazon but i'll wait and get it from either Wayside or Downtown Music Gallery.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

I’m in!

And, yeah, I’ll wait for Wayside, too.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Wow, this is actually pretty huge!

Yeah, I figured it was a marketing ploy but hot damn, this is an event!
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

The eons are closing
    This....is super cool. I haven't read a review that made me want a disc so much in awhile.
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Can't wait for this, really!!

Quote Originally Posted by walt View Post
    It's tempting for me to pre-order it from Amazon but i'll wait and get it from either Wayside or Downtown Music Gallery.
    when would it be expected??
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

As far as I can work out, this session took place within a few days of the sessions that provided the material for the Johnny Hartman lp & Ballads. It was a funny time for Coltrane - problems with his reed, the negative vibes from some quarters following the early Impulse! releases, & there has been a kind of critical orthodoxy that has emerged that this was a period of retrenchment for Coltrane - these tracks (notably Nature Boy) seem to reach out towards the work that is to come, a year or more down the line, work which is light-years advanced on the "official" recordings dating from around the time of this session. It will be fascinating to see the extent to which these later recordings are anticipated by the recordings from this session. It has the potential to alter our assessment of the development of Coltrane's career, & our assumptions about what was happening at this quite "controversial" moment, significantly...

Quote Originally Posted by per anporth View Post
    As far as I can work out, this session took place within a few days of the sessions that provided the material for the Johnny Hartman lp & Ballads.
    Per the NY Times article, this session was just the day before the Johnny Hartman session. (Ballads was earlier, compiled from various 1961-62 sessions.)
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    Per the NY Times article, this session was just the day before the Johnny Hartman session. (Ballads was earlier, compiled from various 1961-62 sessions.)
    This is a big drawback for me ... that Ballads and the Hartman albums are the only early 60's Impulse albums I never wanted to own.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    This is a big drawback for me ... that Ballads and the Hartman albums are the only early 60's Impulse albums I never wanted to own.
    Suit yourself. I personally would never want to be without that magnificent Hartman/Coltrane rendition of "Lush Life," and hearing what the Quartet does with, say, "You Don't Know What Love Is" only enriches my appreciation of what they do in A Love Supreme. Coltrane is about more than breathing fire and sheets of sound. YMMV.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Fascinating information on a treasure trove of Coltrane tapes.Scroll down to "John Coltrane in Rudy Van Gelder's studio".This release is discussed, in detail.

http://www.barrykernfeld.com/aop.htm
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Suit yourself. I personally would never want to be without that magnificent Hartman/Coltrane rendition of "Lush Life," and hearing what the Quartet does with, say, "You Don't Know What Love Is" only enriches my appreciation of what they do in A Love Supreme. Coltrane is about more than breathing fire and sheets of sound. YMMV.
    Indeed, MMMV

Just not a fan of sung jazz (even Ella & Satchmo), but the crooner thing really grages me the wrong way

However, if the quartet performs the tracks without Hartman, this could interest me

Holy Shitte!

This will be the best news I hear all day...(maybe all week).....AUTO-BUY of the highest order
    G.A.S -aholic

I nearly burst into tears hearing that tune. It's ordered.
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

It's truly remarkable how much music Coltrane recorded in such a short time. They couldn't even keep track of it all!

It's also remarkable how good almost all of it is.

Quote Originally Posted by profusion View Post
    It's truly remarkable how much music Coltrane recorded in such a short time. They couldn't even keep track of it all!

It's also remarkable how good almost all of it is.
    ...AND, according to the article, it was all recorded in one day 3/6/63 !
    G.A.S -aholic

So, released today - anyone else listening yet?

I'm half-way through the first cd, & it's already everything I could have hoped for, & even more.

I guess the thing that is most striking is - as the album title indicates - this is Trane facing in "both directions at once" - so a track like Vilia starts off in traditional, radio-friendly, swing mode (although Trane's solo is pretty abstract), whereas the album opener, 11383, is a more driving, angular, work-out that looks forward to the kinds of tracks that would be the core of the sessions released towards the end of the classic quartet's life.

Perhaps, for this reason, it wouldn't have quite worked as an lp, with the styles of the tunes too diverse, too lacking in an underlying, unifying, coherence. But it's these very qualities that make this such an extraordinary document to encounter today - to get a sense of the multiple pathways that, on this day towards the beginning of March, 1963, Coltrane's music could have taken. And to here the multiple takes of certain tracks only enriches this sense of possibilities - for instance, Vilia played first on tenor, & then on soprano; Impressions played by the Quartet, then with McCoy laying out; & so forth...

It's also magical to hear early (possibly earliest?) takes of One Up, One Down - the first of which is stunning, & which feels remarkably like a live performance. The band are on fire for this take, from the molten interplay between Jimmy & Elvin, to the soaring, ferocious, playing of Trane.
    Last edited by per anporth; 06-28-2018 at 07:50 AM.

Both "Ballads" and the Johnny Hartmann album are essential to my Coltrane collection too -- though I recall reading somewhere that Hartmann and Coltrane were never in the studio together at the same time. Their contributions were recorded at separate times, and assembled by Bob Thiele. Doesn't matter. To my ears that album is the best thing either of them ever did.

Quote Originally Posted by per anporth View Post
    So, released today - anyone else listening yet?
    Tomorrow, over here.