Page 1 of 84 123451151 ... LastLast

Thread: Stoner!

Stoner!

I was going to start a group, but I've been told by the mods that music related groups will disappear.

This thread is for those of us who like stoner or heavy pysche. You know, bands like Trouble, Causa Sui, Colour Haze, Sungrazer, Baroness, Brotherhood Of Sleep, Samsara Blues Experiment, Spirit Caravan,Earthless, etc...etc...

I'm certainly In on this one. i'm not sure if I've heard Trouble or Baroness, but I like all the others; Earthless & BoS probably being my favorites. I'm not whining, but I wish Earthless would release a new album.
    Last edited by davis; 11-07-2012 at 02:12 PM.

Count me as a fan of stoner. Kyuss, QOTSA, Truckfighters, Fatso Jetson, Unida, Sloburn, Atomic Bitchwax, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by davis View Post
    I'm certainly In on this one. i'm not sure if I've heard Trouble or Baroness, but I like all the others; Earthless & BoS probably being my favorites. I'm not whining, but I wish Earthless would release a new album.
    I have been trying to post youtube links for both Trouble and Baroness, but it does not work the same on this version. Trouble is an old doom metal band from the 80s. They basically had 2 incarnations. Their 80s output is definitely 80s metal sounding, but, imo, a cut above what most bands were doing back then. Then in the 90s, they worked with Rick Rubin for a couple of albums, and their sound morphed into a more straight-ahead stoner influence rock style.

Baroness is from Georgia and are similar in sound to Mastodon, though I enjoy Baroness more. Their "RED" and "BLUE" albums are superior to their newest double CD "Yellow & Green" .

I'm familiar with "stoner metal" acts like Kyuss and Spiritual Beggars, but have never heard of any of the rest of these. More camples please.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

This radio station is where I initially became familiar with this genre. Click the link and then click the 'play' icon to the left of center of the page.

http://www.live365.com/stations/rocksanne?play=2

I may be the only stoner fan who is a teetotaler. Probably like being a christian satanist, but I love Melvins, Yob, Sleep, Mammatus to name a few. If you haven't seen the Such Hawks, Such Hounds documentary, seek it out, pretty good overview of the scene and some of the better known bands.

Not sure what's up with Earthless, think Live at Roadburn was their last release and that was a few years ago. The drummer has been busy with Off! lately so maybe Earthless will get back together after Off! wraps up touring for their latest.

I like Yob, Sleep, Mammatus and many others. I think I'd like the Melvins if they were instrumental. I can't get past Buzz's voice. Odd, maybe, since Yob's vocals don't bother me at all.

Just got in two new killer stoner/psych bands on Napalm Records: Glowsun "Eternal Season" and My Sleeping Karma "Soma". Both are wicked.

My favroite stoner band may actually be more sludge than stoner - Fireball Ministry. I just love these guys.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Of the bands already mentioned, I am a fan of Kyuss, QOTSA, Spiritual Beggars, and Atomic Bitchwax. But I like the genre and would love to be introduced to bands that are new to me. Recently picked up High On Fire-Death Is This Communion. You decide if it is Stoner Rock. Cost me $1 brand new, and it doesn't suck.

Quote Originally Posted by LASERCD View Post
    Just got in two new killer stoner/psych bands on Napalm Records: Glowsun "Eternal Season" and My Sleeping Karma "Soma". Both are wicked.
    Time to break out the CC and visit Laser's Edge !

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    Recently picked up High On Fire-Death Is This Communion. You decide if it is Stoner Rock. Cost me $1 brand new, and it doesn't suck.
    Don't have that one but I have their last 3 and I'm a fan! They are part of my "stoner" playlist for my i-Pod.

This album is being released on Nov 13.

This album is being released on Nov 13.
    Already on the pre-order list.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Quote Originally Posted by LASERCD View Post
    Just got in two new killer stoner/psych bands on Napalm Records: Glowsun "Eternal Season" and My Sleeping Karma "Soma".
    Both great releases with a strong acid vibe. Recommended!

The new COLOUR HAZE double CD as well.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

For some strange reason I cannot get the youtube links to work on my PC at work, they they are fine on my Mac at home....

I ended up ordering the 2 discs Ken mentionned from his site. I threw in the new Graveyard disc and one from a band called Ancestors.

ANCESTORS are a weird deal. I prefer their first two that had a harder stoner vibe. Their last offerings Invisible white and In dreams and time have strong neoprog elements (the same washed-out Pink Floyidian atmosphere that prevails the current Anathema stuff). Pleasant but not mind blowing as their Neptune with fire album.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    ANCESTORS are a weird deal. I prefer their first two that had a harder stoner vibe. Their last offerings Invisible white and In dreams and time have strong neoprog elements (the same washed-out Pink Floyidian atmosphere that prevails the current Anathema stuff). Pleasant but not mind blowing as their Neptune with fire album.
    The one I ordered is called "Of Sound Mind". The samples seem fairly decent and it was only 8.00 so I took a chance.

Ufomammut - Smoke video
    Ufomammut is a group I dig a lot!

Bongripper is labeled as sludge/doom metal, so I'm not sure if they can be included here, but here they are

http://bongripper.bandcamp.com/

This is where I plug the radio show before me at the station. Each thurs. 90 min of Doom/Stoner

http://cod.ckcufm.com/programs/111/info.html

They are big fans of Iron Man, Horn of the Rhino, Gypsy Chief Goliath and the list goes on...