Page 3 of 84 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast

Thread: Stoner!

speaking of MSK, I'm a big fan of K2B

anybody familiar with Five Horse Johnson? They get the stoner label, but they seem more blues-rock to me. whatever, I'm a big fan

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar
    I know I am going to be laughed out of here, but two of my favorites are Monster Magnet's Spine of God and Dopes to Infinity albums. I am going to see the 20th anniversary concert for Spine of God in Sayreville next month.

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    Any fans of the many bands fronted by Scott "Wino" Weinrich?

The Obssessed, Saint-Vitus, Spirit Caravan, The Hidden Hand, Stormbringer..... He's the Mike Portnoy of stoner!
    And Shrinebuilder...

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar
    Shrinebuilder is extremely good! Heard them on the cable metal channel and ran to my itunes to get it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rune Blackwings View Post
    Shrinebuilder is extremely good! Heard them on the cable metal channel and ran to my itunes to get it.
    I'll check them out too. While listening to Astrosoniq on YT this morning I ran into a group called White Hills. Never heard of them til now but loving what I'm hearing.

...and Shrinebuilder led me to Black Math Horseman

Quote Originally Posted by Old Boy View Post
    Like Whorg, I have recently explored this area. Current fave is My Sleeping Karma, can't seem to get enough of them. Something about them... the vibe, repetitive psychedelic grooves, thundering bass, spacey keys and solid, but tasty drumming. Some great tension and release music. "Soma" is an absolute monster. My favorite CD so far this year. And this is a genre of music that I knew nothing about a year ago. Cool stuff.
    Glad to read it cause this disc is part of my order to Ken!

Shrinebuilder! Not Stormbringer! My Bad!

Jen, I'm a big fan of Monster Magnet. Dopes is one of my favorite albums of the 90s. I even like Superjudge, with it's obvious Hawkwind influences!

I just remembered Dead Meadow

Quote Originally Posted by davis View Post
    White Hills.
    Excellent band, though they don't belong to the stoner rock style...
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Mamont

Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Ayahuasca Dark Trip

And this little baby from Peru/Holland/Greece, will be released on a "head" music label I've currently started. 300 LP only copies. Release date, probably mid December (the pressing plant is already working on it).

Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Quote Originally Posted by FrippWire View Post
    Count me as a fan of stoner. Kyuss, QOTSA, Truckfighters, Fatso Jetson, Unida, Sloburn, Atomic Bitchwax, etc.
    I still have my Atomic Bitchwax tee shirt. (I use to jam regularly with Ed Mundell and was once in a band with Keith Ackerman)

Quote Originally Posted by davis View Post
    anybody familiar with Five Horse Johnson? They get the stoner label, but they seem more blues-rock to me. whatever, I'm a big fan
    I'm a fan of 5HJ. They aren't as far removed from the stoner rock family tree as one might think. I saw them play a show in Austin, TX at Emo's that also featured QOTSA, Unida and The Dwarves. In fact I'm thanked in the credits of 5HJ's "The No.6 Dance" CD.

7 Zuma 7 - unfortunately I think they only did one album. According to All.music: The stoner metal movement of the late ‘90s was primarily based in the U.S., but other areas of the world spawned similarly styled outfits as well, including Eindhoven, Holland's 7 Zuma 7. Formed in the middle of the decade, the group's original line-up consisted of singer/guitarist Jerry van Eyck, guitarist John Peate, bassist Nick Sanders, and drummer Jacco van Rooij. 1997 saw the release of a self-titled, five song EP, which led to appearances at such music festivals as the Dynamo Open Air 1996 and 1998 and Lowlands 1998, and made a major fan out of Monster Magnet frontman Dave Wyndorf. December of 1998 saw Sander's exit from the band, as two bassists attempted to fill the vacant spot over the course of 1999 (first up was Ronald Herregraven, next was Arjen Rienks), before newcomer Miranda Vandervoot was welcomed onboard permanently. The same year, 7 Zuma 7 issued their debut full-length, Deep Inside, which featured a spirited cover of the Who classic, "The Seeker."

Last edited by davis; 11-09-2012 at 10:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    Excellent band, though they don't belong to the stoner rock style...
    Yeah, I got carried away, diverted, distracted, and all of that. What with the new Colorado and Washington weed laws

If anybody else here has a Pandora account, please send some of these bands/albums to them. I do my share several times a year

Davis, I'd place Farflung more in the space rock category, with a band like Lithmus, but keep them coming. We can mix in some space and/or doom as well.

Five Horse Johnson are pretty good - I have The Mystery Spot and The Last Men on Earth. Their label Small Stone is well worth checking out if you enjoy stoner rock / heavy rock. Here's one of my favourites from Dixie Witch:

Tu veux un camembert?

Quote Originally Posted by frippster View Post
    I may be the only stoner fan who is a teetotaler.
    Ha, that makes two of us! But I love the genre! I've probably been listening to as much, if not more, stoner than prog lately!

Faves: Spiritual Beggars, The Sword, Fu Manchu, Earthless, Sasquatch, Halfway to Gone, Alabama Thunderpussy, Five Horse Johnson, Clutch and probably some others I can't think of right now.
    Last edited by Garden Dreamer; 11-10-2012 at 05:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    Five Horse Johnson are pretty good - I have The Mystery Spot and The Last Men on Earth. Their label Small Stone is well worth checking out if you enjoy stoner rock / heavy rock.
    I've bought a bunch of stuff from Small Stone - and I've just recently gotten into Dixie Witch. I have everything FHJ has done except the first one, Blues For Henry, which I think is OOP and WAY expensive if you find it.

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    Davis, I'd place Farflung more in the space rock category, with a band like Lithmus, but keep them coming. We can mix in some space and/or doom as well.
    well, I took Farllung from here: http://www.420trainwreck.com/wp_tracy/ so you're probably correct. 420 Train Wreck (click on Listen) is where I got my Stoner rock education
    Last edited by davis; 11-10-2012 at 04:51 PM.