Page 9 of 85 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131959 ... LastLast

Thread: Stoner!

I cannot believe all the great music I'm discovering thanks to this thread. No shit, it's been a little like discovering the underground prog scene in 1991!! Some of the bands I'm really digging so far are Colour Haze, Ancestors, Kyuss and Glowsun. Last night, I listened to the new OM album for the first time and it blew me away. It kind of reminded me of Dead Can Dance jamming with Black Sabbath and The PLJ Band. Just awe-inspiring stuff. Not to mention Witchcraft and Blood Ceremony. It seems like there's an endless amount of music under the psychedelic/stoner rock banner out there. And I've recently re-discovered Saint Vitus, a band I hadn't listened to since I had them on an old SST compilation cassette back in the 80s. Thanks again guys!

Welcome to the fold Steve! I could not agree more! This has been my favorite subgenre to explore in the last couple of years. Guys like avestin and spacefreak would start dropping names in threads and I'd have pen and paper in hand. Then I started exploring labels like Electrohasch, Tee Pee Records, Rise Above... and discovered this was a vibrant scene, with talented bands from different parts of the world.

You may want to check out retro bands that aren't necessarily stoner also; like Siena Root, Causa Sui, Astra, Graveyard....
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Merry Christmas everybody!

Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

I hope this is appropriate...

I've really been digging that latest Wo Fat disc! Is their back catalogue just as strong?

Been a year since Woods of Ypres singer David Gold passed in an automobile accident. Originally from Windsor Ontario.
    Radio show before us had a tribute show last week if yer lookin' for more http://cod.ckcufm.com/programs/111/10330.html

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    I've really been digging that latest Wo Fat disc! Is their back catalogue just as strong?
    YES!!!! I also have "Nocha del Chupacabra" and "Psychedelonaut" and they're just as smokin'!! I'm crankin' this stuff non-stop lately, can't get enough. I'm going to pick up their last remaining album I dont have yet, "Gathering Dark".
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

So I should grab their entire back catalogue in one fell swoop then...good to know!

If anyone's interested, I have 3 Fu Manchu shows to share.

Happy New Year to all of you with this CATHEDRAL inspired band from Italy...

Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

...and keep crushing your brains in 2013 as well!

Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Gotta keep this thread alive....

Any fans of Sungrazer? I only have "Mirador" and was curious to know if the debut was worth picking up. I know Ken carries it. I'm gonna assume that, as with most of these bands, the debut is usual the best disc?

I'm a big fan of Sungrazer. I like both their albums equally. If you like Mirador you will certainly like the debut.

Yeah, I just campled some of it on Youtube and I will definitely pick it up.

They have some shows at this place: http://archive.org/details/Sungrazer

I'm ashamed to admit I've never heard a note from Candlemass. What's a good entry point?

I just received a couple of issues of a new magazine called Occult Rock. At $13 a pop, they are pretty expensive with only about 30 printed pages or so. I guess it's more of a fanzine in a way, but I got them from Amazon. Blood Ceremony is on the cover of the newest issue. Good Gawd, there are tons of band names that begin with Witch, Devil and Demon. They all start to blend together after awhile. Pretty soon, they are going to run out of names!

Quote Originally Posted by Rael View Post
    I'm ashamed to admit I've never heard a note from Candlemass. What's a good entry point?
    They're not stoner but the very first band that mixed traditional Sabbath influenced doom with epic metal. Their first two, "Epicus, Doomicus, Metallicus" and "Nightfall" are essential timeless classics and among the best releases of 80s metal (when the genre was at its peak).
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

I was looking for something on Earthless and stumbled onto this: http://heavyplanet.bandcamp.com/albu...stral-basement it's free

Cool, just DL'ed the whole thing.

Thx...

I'll give it a shot once I get home. 61 bands and I've never heard of any of them!

I broke down on the weekend and ordered the first Sungrazer and the latest studio release by Colour Haze. Also, being a big fan of Dungen, I ordered an off-shoot band called The Amazing. Not stoner, but some good mellow psyche.

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    ...Also, being a big fan of Dungen, I ordered an off-shoot band called The Amazing. Not stoner, but some good mellow psyche.
    I'm not familiar with The Amazing, I'll have to check them out. Thanks!

To be honest I ordered the disc without checking out any camples. It has 2 members of Dungen, including Fiske, and that's good enough for me. I'm a BIG fan of Dungen.

sungrazer

there are like 4 or 5 shows from the sugar megs website.