Page 8 of 84 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121858 ... LastLast

Thread: Stoner!

I love their new one! My only exposure to them so far. I guess I'll have to explore the back catalogue at some point. Too much music, too little time!
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Quote Originally Posted by yogibear View Post
    anyone listen to Unida? gets lots of great reviews but imo they are a bit over rated and some of the props are exagerated a bit.
    Just checked them out on Youtube and turns out its the same singer from Kyuss and in that case I'd say yeah, they're overrated, just like Kyuss. I know a lot of people like them but that singer's voice is a real irritant to me.
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

Quote Originally Posted by Garden Dreamer View Post
    Got 3 Wo Fat CDs in the mail, and hoo boy, my speakers are melting!
    which ones? I have We Must Obey, In Search of, and The Action is Go. I've been aware of them for a long time but have just recently starting listening

Quote Originally Posted by davis View Post
    which ones? I have We Must Obey, In Search of, and The Action is Go. I've been aware of them for a long time but have just recently starting listening
    Yeah, yer a stoner all right! You just named 3 FU MANCHU albums! (and I think we discussed some of these a few pages back)

The Wo Fat albums I have are Psychodelonaut (2009), Nocha del Chupacabra (2011) and the newest, The Black Code. Blistering, smokey, analog-baked goodness with an emphasis on the guitar (i.e. there are vocals but not a lot).
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

...and since you brought up Fu Manchu, I'll comment on some other albums you don't have yet by them. "Daredevil" is killer, possibly my favorite by them, came out right before In Search Of and The Action is Go. "King of the Road" and "California Crossing" come after those, both excellent. There's also an EP in between there called "Eatin' Dust", which I haven't picked up yet. They lose me on the next one, "Start the Machine". I like the opening track, "Written in Stone" and nothing else. Sounds like punk rock with short songs, no guitar jamming, backed off on the fuzz tone... I can't listen to this album. "We Must Obey" is somewhat better, a few tunes I like but still stuff that sounds like punk and I never liked the Cars original of "Moving In Stereo" and don't like hearing FM cover it, should have been at end of the album as a bonus track. The latest, "Signs of Infinite Power" is a return to thick fuzz. Maybe 2-3 songs still retain a bit of the punk approach but overall I like the album a lot. I don't have their first album, "No One Rides for Free", heard a few cuts and it sounds like they hadn't developed their signature sound yet.

^ "Moving In Stereo" is the only Cars song I do like. Looks like I'll get SoIP while ATIH has it for 6.66

... "We Must Obey" is somewhat better, a few tunes I like but still stuff that sounds like punk ...
    I don't have a problem with 'punk' influence or sound, I give that album a thumb up. I've never been a huge fan of punk in general, but I do like The Misfits a lot (all - not just the Danzig era). Anyway, I'm glad I finally decided to try Fu Manchu.

Sasquatch & Spiritual Beggars ->
    Going to check out some Fu Manchu next
    One of the guys from Sasquatch came into the record store where I work part-time. He was buying lots of Detroit themed t-shirts to take back to California. Cool guy.

Back in my music journalist days, I interviewed "Dirty" Dave Johnson, founder and only consistent member of The Glasspack. He's the only 'stoner' musician I've met. this is from, I think, their second album.

The Glasspack in action. Dave Johnson on lead guitar

Just discovered these guys on dime. From The Netherlands.
    Monomyth - Stoner Rock with a heavy dose of Space and Krautrock influence.

I'm hooked on Fu Manchu. I like nearly everything of theirs I've heard on YT.

Great guitars!

Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Quote Originally Posted by Old Boy View Post
    Just discovered these guys on dime. From The Netherlands.
    Monomyth - Stoner Rock with a heavy dose of Space and Krautrock influence.
    Am loving this! Off to see where they might have CDs for sale so I can ask for Christmas.

Quote Originally Posted by FrippWire View Post
    Am loving this! Off to see where they might have CDs for sale so I can ask for Christmas.
    I did a little research and found that they played their first gig in March of this year and it appears that they do not have any recorded material. But they are planning a CD release in Spring 2013.
    Last edited by Old Boy; 12-15-2012 at 03:15 PM.

I'm hooked on Fu Manchu. I like nearly everything of theirs I've heard on YT.
    I knew you would! I'm totally hooked too! (well except for those two albums I mentioned)

glad to see this thread still going strong.

i just listened to these guys yesterday, whenever i do 1 album just ain't enough

I knew you would! I'm totally hooked too! (well except for those two albums I mentioned)
    I dig those 2 albums too. I browsed NORFF and decided I need a copy of that too. It's looking like I'll have the whole discography when the dust settles. Actually I'm going through the Fu Manchu & George Thorogood discographies at the same time.

^ that said, here's some Sons of Otis

Blind Dog sounds cool, I hear a hint of Clutch in there. Will have to check out more of them. Wasn't too enamored with this one Sons of Otis track but will listen to a few others.

..Wasn't too enamored with this one Sons of Otis track but will listen to a few others.
    Well, they can't all be zingers, eh? ... there are very few Sons of Otis songs I don't like.

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    I know nothing of this genre but a friend turned me onto the "Masters of Reality" disc with Ginger Baker on drums and it rocks. I see they have a new release combining their first studio LP and a live disc (but no GB) out yesterday. Howzit?

Glad to see this thread staying alive. I haven't been listening to much music these days, but the Christmas holiday is coming up. Maybe I'll actually have a chance to listen to some tunes and chillax!
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

AYAHUASCA DARK TRIP & MONTIBUS COMMUNITAS just released on COSMIC EYE RECORDS.

If interested in the most far-out edges of stoner please check.

http://www.progressiveears.org/forum...2533#post22533
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Quote Originally Posted by rickawakeman View Post
    I know nothing of this genre but a friend turned me onto the "Masters of Reality" disc with Ginger Baker on drums and it rocks. I see they have a new release combining their first studio LP and a live disc (but no GB) out yesterday. Howzit?
    their first album is one of my desert island picks, packaged with a live disc - that's a no brainer.