Page 13 of 85 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516172363 ... LastLast

Thread: Stoner!

Brutal and extremely tight. This band is amazing. Just guitar and drums and they switch so easily from downtuned doom to DISCHARGE and MOTORHEAD fury, even reaching thrash metal speed at times.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

the first 2 or 3 times I heard Clutch, something (not sure what) turned me off. I'm starting to warm up to them. Just heard "The Mob Goes Wild" and really enjoyed it.

For those that haven't heard The Atomic Bitchwax's 40-minute 'the Local Fuzz'--- it isn't monotonous cause they keep changing riffs throughout.

This is from an EP that was released on March 2. As in less than 2 weeks ago. I gotta get it.

I know Unida has been mentioned in this thread. I'm just starting to listen to them. I like this song a lot, and I love thunder/lightning

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by progholio View Post
    i highly, highly recommend the first s/t album which has been long out of print but soon to be released on a double disc, it just absolutely kills. the whole damn Masters catalog is worth having.

Sufferbus, man, back in the day i was pretty obsessed with the first MoR that when i found out there was a new one on the way i couldn't be happier, then the 'holy shit' moment of finding out Ginger Baker was drumming on that one was even better.

yup, anything that Chris Goss puts his hands on is golden in my book, incuding the newest release from The Cult.

oddly i don't have a single Kyuss album, i should be working to fix that soon.
    Chris Gross only produced some of Choice Of Weapon(Bob Rock produced the majority of it). This thread has peaked my interest(as I like Black Sabbath), but I am too afraid to click on the links in this thread. The term "Doom Metal" makes me think of Death Metal. If doom metal is like Sabbath, count my in. I like heavy, but not loud. Speaking of loud, I was listening to Loud Love by Soundgarden recently, and it sounded like Sabbath to my ears.

Doom metal is a slow repetetive, heavy metal. It does not rely on speed or death growls, though the latter may be present at times. Stoner also has the heaviness, but relies on riffs. The latter tends to incorporate certain psyche elements as well. But why read a definition when all you need to do is click on the camples in this thread?!
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Quote Originally Posted by davis View Post
    the first 2 or 3 times I heard Clutch, something (not sure what) turned me off. I'm starting to warm up to them. Just heard "The Mob Goes Wild" and really enjoyed it.
    That first song was almost a little too slick, the singer was getting close to sounding like Daughtry or something *lol* The second video killed though. I like the production and the organ; want to hear some more. I like Bigelf so they kind of scratch that itch.

Quote Originally Posted by davis View Post
    For those that haven't heard The Atomic Bitchwax's 40-minute 'the Local Fuzz'--- it isn't monotonous cause they keep changing riffs throughout.

*lol* about the final word in non-stop riffage! Love that album.

Quote Originally Posted by JIF View Post
    Chris Gross only produced some of Choice Of Weapon(Bob Rock produced the majority of it). This thread has peaked my interest(as I like Black Sabbath), but I am too afraid to click on the links in this thread. The term "Doom Metal" makes me think of Death Metal. If doom metal is like Sabbath, count my in. I like heavy, but not loud. Speaking of loud, I was listening to Loud Love by Soundgarden recently, and it sounded like Sabbath to my ears.
    Black Sabbath is chief among the influences of stoner rock sort of like Genesis is so influential in prog. If you like Sabbath, you'll like a lot of bands being discussed here. I'm very new to the genre and it's like discovering prog all over again for me; even within the stoner genre, there are subgenres of music. You might find you like the more straightforward stuff or you might find you like some psychedelic jamming with your stoner. Me, I'm finding I like it all. In fact, I barely listen to prog anymore with all these great heavy bands these days. I couldn't care less who is in Yes this week!

I've moved on from Sabbath (I think due to Osbourne's media 'Ozzypresence' - a little play on words there). I can hear their influence on a lot of bands and that's okay.
    Last edited by davis; 03-19-2013 at 03:05 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    Doom metal is a slow repetetive, heavy metal. It does not rely on speed or death growls, though the latter may be present at times. Stoner also has the heaviness, but relies on riffs. The latter tends to incorporate certain psyche elements as well. But why read a definition when all you need to do is click on the camples in this thread?!
    Thanks, Yves.

Quote Originally Posted by Rael View Post
    Black Sabbath is chief among the influences of stoner rock sort of like Genesis is so influential in prog.
    Five are the major influences of stoner rock i.m.o. Ozzy era Black Sabbath as you correctly mentioned, Blue Cheer, Cactus, early Grand Funk and Mountain.

In fact, I barely listen to prog anymore with all these great heavy bands these days. I couldn't care less who is in Yes this week!
    Welcome to the club Who should care about Yes, while the cauldron is boiling?
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

The lords of horror and misfortune had returned. New album out ("Feretri" =coffins). Incorporating on this one the best elements of bands like Necromandus, Death SS, Mortuary Drape.

Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Do you guys have any thoughts on Dead Meadow? Looks like they have a fairly large back catalog. They were featured in the underground rock doc mentioned early in the thread.

^^^

Not a stoner band but good guitar based neopsychedelia. I am recommending their Howls from the Hills and Shivering King and Others albums. Avoid their 2008 album Old Growth though. A major disappointment.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Thanks Spacefreak. I still get confused on the definition of stoner at times. Guess I'm still a newbie!

^ I think it depends on who you're talking to. this song is in that '97 songs' stoner link in post #315

Last edited by davis; 03-21-2013 at 08:22 AM.

Banned
    Forgive me if I have asked this before, but how many Stoner albums sound exactly like Black Sabbath's Master Of Reality? I ask that question, because I am listening to that Sabbath CD right now. Also, Wikipedia states that MOR laid the foundation for Sludge, Stone, and Doom metal.

I think you'll find more of the doom bands that take their cues from MOR, although there are plenty of stoner rock albums influenced by early Sabbath as well. I would suggest the first Trouble album as a good place to start if you really want that sludgy sound or perhaps Saint Vitus' "Born Too Late". But Spacefreak is the stoner master so I'm sure he can come up with many more examples than I could!

Trouble is an interesting band, esp. early in their career (Psalm 9, The Skull, Run To The Light) in that seemed to be borrowing from Judas Priest's double-axe attack as much as from Sabbath's down-tuned sludge. Later they streamlined they sound. I have yet to hear them with Kory Clarke on vocals. I was (and still am) a big Warrior Soul fan, but nobody should be singing in Trouble but Wagner, imo....
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    Trouble is an interesting band, esp. early in their career (Psalm 9, The Skull, Run To The Light) in that seemed to be borrowing from Judas Priest's double-axe attack as much as from Sabbath's down-tuned sludge. Later they streamlined they sound. I have yet to hear them with Kory Clarke on vocals. I was (and still am) a big Warrior Soul fan, but nobody should be singing in Trouble but Wagner, imo....
    Exactly... they were probably the most convincing doom band with a dual guitar attack that I can think about. However, I think that introducing Kory Clarke in the band was their biggest mistake. Such a bad choice should have never happen. I had the bad chance to see them live with that line-up, one of the worst concerts I've ever been to. The man was completely unfitting... A total poseur; too much rock stardom and cock rock poses through the whole performance. He might have been great for a hair metal band or something macho like Whitesnake, but in doom metal... Disaster! They completely lost it with him...
    Last edited by spacefreak; 04-05-2013 at 11:40 AM.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Banned
    I think you'll find more of the doom bands that take their cues from MOR, although there are plenty of stoner rock albums influenced by early Sabbath as well. I would suggest the first Trouble album as a good place to start if you really want that sludgy sound or perhaps Saint Vitus' "Born Too Late". But Spacefreak is the stoner master so I'm sure he can come up with many more examples than I could!
    Forgive if I have already asked this, but what is the difference between Doom and Stoner?

Quote Originally Posted by JIF View Post
    Forgive if I have already asked this, but what is the difference between Doom and Stoner?
    Sometimes I have a hard time differentiating myself. I find that they often overlap. I think probably the biggest difference is that stoner tends to be more jam oriented and leans toward the psychedlic spectrum. The recent Glowsun CD would be a great example of this; very Sabbath-y but also somewhat trippy as well. Sleep's "Dopesmoker" has a lot of Iommi style riffs but it's very jammy. I think doom tends to stick more to traditional metal.

Trouble was a doom oriented band in the 80s and attempted to cross over in the 90s, although I think the self titled album from 1990 is as great as any Trouble rekkid. With "Manic Frustration", you could tell they were trying to woo the alternative rock crowd. I would probably try to sample these bands on Youtube and see what floats your boat. There are loads of these bands out there; doom and stoner.