Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Tull 50th anniversary tour

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    So here is where we are now:

Hmmm.

Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by The Dark Elf View Post
    I saw Tull during both the Songs from Wood and Stormwatch tours -- it's been downhill since, except for nostalgia. Crest of a Knave tour was quite entertaining, but more for Fairport Convention's involvement, and Dave Pegg being onstage for both the Fairport and Tull sets. Listening to Anderson now is painful and embarrassing. The last tours I enjoyed was the "Rubbing Elbows" tour back in 2002 (intimate, small venues, all acoustic, no strenuous singing) and the Orchestral tour in '04 (nearly all instrumental). Everything beyond that is cringe-worthy as he gasps and struggles to hit notes in the old hits. A 50th anniversary concert is senseless without the involvement of any of the bandmates from the 70s or 80s. I'd pay to see Barlow, Dave Pegg and Barre all onstage.
    Agree, the Rubbing Elbows tour was quite good as he played mostly acoustic material and stuff his voice could handle. I even have a bootleg of the show I was at and pull it out every so often.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Someone posted this clip from a recent show in Barcelona. Gives an idea of what we can expect, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by wilcox660 View Post
    Are there 30th, 35th, 40th & 45th anniversary boxed sets that I missed? I have the 20th & 25th anniversary-specific sets. Please enlighten me with specific details.
    You don't have any of the highly popular 40th Anniv Box Sets?

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Someone posted this clip from a recent show in Barcelona. Gives an idea of what we can expect, I guess.

I saw this, not to poo in anyone's cornflakes but you'd be much better served seeing Steve Harris and his mates when they go back out.

Something that boggles the mind is Ian is playing a 4500 seat theater here in a few weeks and the place was sold out months ago (promoting the Jethro Tull name heavily mind you) - this is something the proper Jethro Tull hasn't done here in the last 30 years.

Quote Originally Posted by bill g View Post
    My hopes:

1. That they'll play at least some of 'Thick as a Brick'
    2. They'll play some good acoustic stuff ie 'Mother Goose'
    3. That they DONT play 'Locomotive Breath' or 'Bungle in the Jungle', although there I'm counting on a miracle.
    My friends took me to the Berkeley show for my birthday.

One and a half out of three isn't bad. You can make it two out of three by skipping out before the encore.

Ian's vocal tone wasn't so bad--he wasn't sounding like Popeye, though he did get momentarily wheezy/breathless at times. But that weird mannerism of squeezing out the words way behind the beat has only gotten worse, and he really mangled the melodies. Set list included exactly one song from later than 1978, but there were some GREAT surprises, including a couple of songs I've never heard live in 47 years of attending Tull shows.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post

Ian's vocal tone wasn't so bad--he wasn't sounding like Popeye, though he did get momentarily wheezy/breathless at times. But that weird mannerism of squeezing out the words way behind the beat has only gotten worse, and he really mangled the melodies. Set list included exactly one song from later than 1978, but there were some GREAT surprises, including a couple of songs I've never heard live in 47 years of attending Tull shows.
    Glad you enjoyed the show! I've looked at the setlist and there are a couple of nice choices among the usual standards for sure.

Yeah, I really struggle with him being so far behind the beat with the vocals. I find myself focusing more on "is he going to get there in time?" than just letting the music wash over me, as it should. Oh well, if the concert attendees leave happy, that's all that matters.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

saw them in Sac yesterday. it was my first time seeing Jethro Tull (is it really Jethro tull or is it ian Anderson the tour book pretty explicitly makes the claim they are Jethro tull even going so far as to claim they were Jethro tull in 2012) so I was happy to finally see them live. I am no super fan so am ashamed to admit I have never heard the first album (waiting on the steven Wilson set) so I was a bit lost in the first part which seemed to hit that one a lot but nice for fans of it I suppose.

the vocals were pretty noticeably bad, but they were also mixed fairly low so I think they know and are trying to cover it up some cause I could hardly hear him half the time.

but he still is pretty spry and bounces about and blows the flute well so overall had a decent time.

I found the video intros(especially those by fans rather than actual past members) and the video singers fairly annoying and the lack of any mention of martin barre sad (tony iommi guitar player for a day gets a whole spiel but barre nothing).

^RE; Barre. Wow.

This Was is a great album BTW. I personally prefer it to quite a few of their 70s albums.

speaking of MR Barre I did see his solo show a few months ago. and now having seen both I would say if you must choose one go with Barre much more energetic and better singer less silly trappings like video and best of all about half the price.

Quote Originally Posted by gojikranz View Post
    I found the video intros(especially those by fans rather than actual past members) and the video singers fairly annoying
    There are video intros from fans now? Ugh. I'll wait for the DVD, at least I can skip those like I do with the fan interview segments of Rush documentaries.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    There are video intros from fans now? Ugh. I'll wait for the DVD, at least I can skip those like I do with the fan interview segments of Rush documentaries.
    they are fans who happen to be famous musicians but still people with no real connection to Jethro Tull.

Quote Originally Posted by gojikranz View Post
    speaking of MR Barre I did see his solo show a few months ago. and now having seen both I would say if you must choose one go with Barre much more energetic and better singer less silly trappings like video and best of all about half the price.
    Yup, I would agree with everything you said.

This Was is a great album BTW. I personally prefer it to quite a few of their 70s albums.
    +1. In my top three.
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

I actually forget - are we expecting a This Was hardcover reissue?

^The 40th one, he actually had a lot of the ex-members and celebrity guests making cameos throughout the UK tour. Except the show I went to, of course, which had some local folk group.

Things have changed since then. So here is where we are now:

Anderson's voice is just awful to listen there - he's completely lost the ability to hold a tune. Very sad.

Yes, that's the next to come I believe. I'm not expecting anything earth-shattering from the surround mix though, it was only a four track recording in the first place. The Collector's Edition 2-disc set already has loads of the bonus material from that time, so we shall see what the new one brings. Hopefully I'm wrong and more treasures are unearthed, as they have been with so many of these sets.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Yes, that's the next to come I believe. I'm not expecting anything earth-shattering from the surround mix though, it was only a four track recording in the first place. The Collector's Edition 2-disc set already has loads of the bonus material from that time, so we shall see what the new one brings. Hopefully I'm wrong and more treasures are unearthed, as they have been with so many of these sets.
    Is there any release date for this?

And has there been anything "definite" announced about Storm Watch?

Nope, nope.

SW is definitely NOT doing Stormwatch, I'm afraid.

He recently did an interview for a South American fan, which was advertised on Facebook (Prog Mag Readers Group) and admitted that he doesn't have the spare time now, with his own career taking up more of his time.Apparently he's deep in writing his next album already.

His comments were along the lines of "I'm sure they'll get somebody else to do Stormwatch, and This Was will be my last one".

The thing to remember is that he probably did a lot of those remixes over the last few years when his solo profile was still slowly growing, and then the labels held the remixes on the shelf and released them later. That's probably why the Tull ones came out twice a year, rather than every few months, with the label trying to maximise attention for each new release.

Shame SW hasn't been invited to remix Anderson's voice on the current tour......honestly, the man's a charlatan. Now he presents himself as Jethro Tull, after so many years of moaning that the press were misrepresenting the band by calling him JT.

And those vox - I gave up after 1991, and they were bad enough then. Time hasn't been any kinder to his voice.

Barre admitted as much in a recent Prog mag interview, discreetly revealing his frustrations with the stagnant setlists because Anderson couldn't sing anything else, and the embarrassment of his performance on the songs that were left in the set. He also admitted being pretty cut up at the time when he realised he'd been ditched, but now I think he's probably relieved he doesn't have to endure the kind of 'performances' you guys have shared in the clips above.

It's a shame really.

the tour book mentions the this was hardback release. I think it says October release will try and check when I get home.

Enjoyed the show despite not being able to hit any of the higher notes, and the rain shower. The wine helped Some of the vocal magic was still there, I always found his voice, and the music of JT comforting somehow, and it was a little like seeing an old friend. I think the audience was pretty forgiving, and appreciative he came in spite of the vocal flaws. His flute playing is still amazing. 'With You There To Help Me' was a nice surprise, and 'Heavy Horses' had video performances of a violin player who also sang, and he harmonized vocals with her, and others, and it turned out to be a highlight for me. I enjoyed the videos. Was disappointed the 'Thick As A Brick' rendition was so short, and not my favorite parts of the song, but no big deal. He talked about 'prog rock' after though which was cool. The band was very good. 'Songs From The Wood' was another highlight. 4 songs from 'This Was' was odd to me, but perhaps that was because it was 50 years since that album came out. Ian's sense of humor is always fun. Definitely glad I went.

Quote Originally Posted by Valen View Post
    SW is definitely NOT doing Stormwatch, I'm afraid.

He recently did an interview for a South American fan, which was advertised on Facebook (Prog Mag Readers Group) and admitted that he doesn't have the spare time now, with his own career taking up more of his time.Apparently he's deep in writing his next album already.

His comments were along the lines of "I'm sure they'll get somebody else to do Stormwatch, and This Was will be my last one".

The thing to remember is that he probably did a lot of those remixes over the last few years when his solo profile was still slowly growing, and then the labels held the remixes on the shelf and released them later. That's probably why the Tull ones came out twice a year, rather than every few months, with the label trying to maximise attention for each new release.

Shame SW hasn't been invited to remix Anderson's voice on the current tour......honestly, the man's a charlatan. Now he presents himself as Jethro Tull, after so many years of moaning that the press were misrepresenting the band by calling him JT.

And those vox - I gave up after 1991, and they were bad enough then. Time hasn't been any kinder to his voice.

Barre admitted as much in a recent Prog mag interview, discreetly revealing his frustrations with the stagnant setlists because Anderson couldn't sing anything else, and the embarrassment of his performance on the songs that were left in the set. He also admitted being pretty cut up at the time when he realised he'd been ditched, but now I think he's probably relieved he doesn't have to endure the kind of 'performances' you guys have shared in the clips above.

It's a shame really.
    "It's a shame" covers quite a bit, in the case of Ian Anderson.

Quote Originally Posted by Valen View Post
    Barre admitted as much in a recent Prog mag interview, discreetly revealing his frustrations with the stagnant setlists because Anderson couldn't sing anything else, and the embarrassment of his performance on the songs that were left in the set..

On the other hand, he's said he was fine with Tull sticking with the early material, as he's also been doing. He's said "That was the great stuff, and nobody comes to hear something from Roots & Branches" (people here may disagree).

Seems ironic to me that the 50th anniversary Tull tour cuts off at the same album (Crest) that they were promoting on the 20th anniversary. ACtually even a little earlier, since the 20th sets included "Part of the Machine."

I would have personally taken something from Roots to Branches over one of the 4 tracks from This Was, if I had to choose. I whined about having to hear 'Locomotive Breath' (would prefer Mother Goose) but they did that one very well, and I admit it turned out to be a good finale.