Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Jon Anderson interview

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKDye View Post
    All the "Jon can do no wrong" enthusiasts don't acknowledge "The More You Know," which may be the worst solo product from a Yes-musician, ever.
    And lucky me, I was living in Japan then so got the Japanese bonus track to make my suffering four minutes longer than most endured!

Quote Originally Posted by Man In The Mountain View Post

Successful & Acclaimed release, Fly From Here??? Holy crap, they must have the same PR team as ARW.
    first Yes album since Talk to spend two weeks in the top 100 seems decent enough to stick successful in the hype line. acclaimed maybe harder to measure but I am sure it got some decent reviews. regardless my point is steve howe was more realistic about it in interviews. the comparison is jon and steve interviews not what the label says.

You'll see. Jon will tour. And Jon will tour with a full orchestra, and a big choir, and a 10 piece electric band, ice skaters, 3-D stage projections, and giant inflatable sea monsters who breath fire!! Then, then... you'll all be sorry with your sad puss faces and your over-priced Trevor Horn Return From Here CDs. Just you wait...

Quote Originally Posted by yamishogun View Post
    The last good Anderson album I bought was Change We Must (1994). I also bought Toltec (1996) and the record store owner was nice enough to let me return it. I skipped The Promise Ring (1997) and Earth, Mother Earth (1997) and sadly bought The More You Know (1998). That was it for me - no more Anderson albums unless I listen to samples first, but he didn't make any more solo recordings until 2011, anyway.

Didn't ARW get much better after the first ten concerts?
    I personally prefer 'Toltec' to 'Change We Must'. And there are a couple tracks on Earth, Mother Earth I really enjoy (Concerto Uno and Concerto Due, to be precise). The More You Know is my least favorite thing he ever did. And I really enjoy Anderson/Stolt, more so than any of Jon's solo albums. Steve Howe had some beautiful tracks on 'Grand Scheme' such as Maiden Voyage (one of my very favorites of his entire solo career), and Passing Phase. I also enjoy his 'Spectrum' album. So hit and miss for both perhaps, but some nice gems scattered throughout.

Quote Originally Posted by bill g View Post
    And I really enjoy Anderson/Stolt, more so than any of Jon's solo albums.
    More than Olias?
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    More than Olias?
    I believe so, but it is hard to compare admittedly, coming at them from 40 years. But I think I actually do.

all the people who hate the more you know the most must not have gotten from me to you...

Why does it have to be Howe Vs. Anderson? Okay, so maybe ARW's people have turned it into that, but I don't get that feeling from Anderson himself. Of course, he always talks up what he's working on, he's a very positive person (at least publicly). Personally, I have great respect for both Howe and Anderson and together they wrote some of the best music I've heard in my lifetime. Sure, it was all pretty much 30+ years ago, but still.

The Anderson Stolt album is for me, the best Yes related product I've heard since Drama (or possibly Keys). While I though Fly From Here was decent for a bunch of old guys (which I am becoming much more quickly than I would like), the 3 tracks I heard off Heaven and Earth (which were supposed to be the highlights, based on what I've read from people who actually like the album) just left me shaking my head. They sound like weak demos to me, unfinished ideas that still need to be fleshed out and worked into decent songs.

Honestly, the only Yes related product I'm looking forward to at this point is the next Anderson Stolt album. Yet still, I don't have an interest in "taking a side" in the current Anderson vs. Howe debates that happen here or between the bands publicists. I still think of both as fabulous musicians who both seem to have held on to a great deal of their skill and talent into old age (even if I don't always like the actual music they come up with or participate in).

Ladies and Gentlemen, Now we have a Yes thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    "I`m working on half a dozen projects, so I`m keeping very busy."
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    "Why, someday I might even finish one!"
    I didn't realize he did a Peter Gabriel impersonation. ;-)

Yes hasn't made a great album since "Going for the One".

That was 40 years ago folks.

Why anyone has wasted their time buying all the watered down stuff since is beyond me.
    I understand going to see a concert for nostalgia, and they play a fair amount of their fine works from the 70's here and there,
    but this is a band so far past their peak it's really an embarrassment.

I don't know what happens to these artists creatively. There have been many classical music composers, jazz artists and even blues
    players whom have done some of their best work well into their 7th decade. Yes is not one of them.

When it is all said and done, Yes will be remembered for their 6 great albums. Some conversation about the Peter Banks era, and couple
    of nods to Tormato and the almost Yes "Drama".

It is so absurd that Yes, as weak as they are now, think they can split into two camps and do anything of substance or interest.

You say Yes, I say No.

^^^ To each his/her own of course but for me 90125, Keystudio and Fly From Here are near-classics. The others all have their moments, in particular ABWH and Talk. Most artistic entities have peaks and then decline. What are you gonna do?

At least wait until the ARW album comes out. Unless Jon still deludedly believes he can write hit singles with Trevor, and thus ruins the whole thing by including several such attempts, it might actually be quite good.

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    At least wait until the ARW album comes out. Unless Jon still deludedly believes he can write hit singles with Trevor, and thus ruins the whole thing by including several such attempts, it might actually be quite good.
    What the album will be like, I don't know, but Anderson still has an inflated view of his potential selling power.

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    Anderson was the one who approached Rabin by adding vocals to Jacaranda, not Rabin approaching Anderson and Wakeman by adding his guitar and orchestral sound to The Giving Tree. I'm quite sure Rabin isn't going to allow Anderson to add a song or three that don't fit the EP or album.

"Come on Trev, just four minutes of me yodeling in the Swiss Alps!"

"No. Period. If I need a yodeler, it will be you, and I'll let you know."

Quote Originally Posted by yamishogun View Post
    Anderson was the one who approached Rabin by adding vocals to Jacaranda, not Rabin approaching Anderson and Wakeman by adding his guitar and orchestral sound to The Giving Tree. I'm quite sure Rabin isn't going to allow Anderson to add a song or three that don't fit the EP or album.

"Come on Trev, just four minutes of me yodeling in the Swiss Alps!"

"No. Period. If I need a yodeler, it will be you, and I'll let you know."
    So, no "Holy Lamb" on this one?
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    So, no "Holy Lamb" on this one?
    Rabin said in an interview last month: "I saw sheet music Jon accidentally left behind and the title was "Holy Lamb - Return Trip", but I tossed it into the trash. When he finds it in the circular file, he'll move on to other ideas."

See? Quality control is important to Rabin.

I'm in the minority. I really like The Big Generator and ABWH. My non proghead friends (male and female) have always gravitated toward BG and ABWH. When I explain about how the Prog community heaps distain upon "The Big Generator" they are truly shocked. They don't understand it. Personally, I feel both those albums are far better then Fly From Here and I like Fly From Here. Don't get me wrong...I do not enjoy Union or Open Your Eyes.

I believe that Jon Anderson's current composition skills are vastly superior to the sum total of the current YES lineup. I feel Anderson's albums "Anderson/Stolt" and "AndersonPonty Band" and his upcoming solo album "1000 Hands" will bear out my opinion.

Plus, ARW may release a few new cuts. Rabin's jazz fusion solo excursion "Jacaranda" and a staggering number of Movie soundtracks arouses my curiosity. Wakeman rises or falls to match the composition competence of everyone he's ever played with. Yes, I'm curious.
    Last edited by Crawford Glissadevil; 06-02-2018 at 12:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Crawford Glissadevil View Post
    I'm in the minority. I really like The Big Generator and ABWH. My non proghead friends (male and female) have always gravitated toward BG and ABWH. When I explain about how the Prog community heaps distain upon "The Big Generator" they are truly shocked. They don't understand it. Personally, I feel both those albums are far better then Fly From Here and I like Fly From Here. Don't get me wrong...I do not enjoy Union or Open Your Eyes.
    Hmm. I think there are gems on BG and ABWH, but not consistency. 'Final Eyes' and 'I'm Running' are gems, as are 'Themes', 'Brother of Mine', and parts of 'Quartet'. I can't get behind things like the title track of 'Big Generator' or 'Order of the Universe', but I do think maybe those are examples of aiming low to shoot high, as they so eloquently expressed.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    This must be after they fired the press guy who wrote "Heaven And Earth is an okay album, the first one since the acceptable Fly From Here, which sold hundreds of copies."
    Quote Originally Posted by gojikranz View Post
    first Yes album since Talk to spend two weeks in the top 100 seems decent enough to stick successful in the hype line. acclaimed maybe harder to measure but I am sure it got some decent reviews. regardless my point is steve howe was more realistic about it in interviews. the comparison is jon and steve interviews not what the label says.
    Quite.

#30 UK
    #36 US
    #16 Germany
    #56 Japan
    #43 Netherlands

Henry

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKDye View Post
    All the "Jon can do no wrong" enthusiasts don't acknowledge "The More You Know," which may be the worst solo product from a Yes-musician, ever.
    Oh, you poor naif. In terms of projects led by Yes-musicians, for worst ever, as gojikranz said, try Jon Anderson's From Me to You, released 2008 (possibly without his permission). An honourable mention is required for the recent Eterniverse Deja Vu by Light Freedom Revival, on which Billy Sherwood and Oliver Wakeman play: truly atrocious. The More You Know shines in comparison to either.

Henry

Quote Originally Posted by infandous View Post
    The Anderson Stolt album is for me, the best Yes related product I've heard since Drama (or possibly Keys).
    Skin & Wire, Jacaranda, Time and about half of Made in Basing Street would be my picks for the best Yes-related product of recent years. Honourable mentions to Invention of Knowledge, Emergent, Ode to Echo, Suburban Ghosts, 7, The Haunted Melody and Subterranean: New Designs on Bowie's Berlin.

Henry

Quote Originally Posted by bondegezou View Post
    Skin & Wire, Jacaranda, Time and about half of Made in Basing Street would be my picks for the best Yes-related product of recent years. Honourable mentions to Invention of Knowledge, Emergent, Ode to Echo, Suburban Ghosts, 7, The Haunted Melody and Subterranean: New Designs on Bowie's Berlin.

Henry
    Isn't there about ten minutes of Bill Bruford on Skin & Wire? Kind of stretching to call that album "Yes-related"...
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

Quote Originally Posted by Kcrimso View Post
    Isn't there about ten minutes of Bill Bruford on Skin & Wire? Kind of stretching to call that album "Yes-related"...
    No. He plays on the whole thing, and co-composed one piece.

Henry

Mod or rocker? Mocker. Frumious B's Avatar
    Invention of Knowledge was alone atop the heap as my favorite Yes related release since Magnification. However, I’m impressed with Fly From Here-Return Trip and I have to say I enjoy both albums roughly equally.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Ladies and Gentlemen, Now we have a Yes thread!

Right? I figured it need to be stepped up to meet the Yes thread unofficial guidelines here at PE