Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: I bought a new record player, but i have a question for the vinyl loving people here.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    The only ones that I was ever consciously aware of buying records for the purpose of investment were several noveau riche Russian oil men in the first decade of this century. That was the rumor, anyway. While it sucked that these newcomers who may not have been fans were making it hard to win auctions, the fact remains that they were doing it because rare record values continued in an unbroken upward trajectory, and as such, were good investments. Should we have contempt for the guys flipping houses too?
    Thank God for them. They helped pay off my mortgage. Good times!

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    My answer to women who can't understand why men are so commitment phobic: because if and when the marriage crashes and burns, it's usually the man who loses half his stuff.
    It's not just half the stuff. Emotionally the toll is usually far greater on men. Let's face it, when a woman has given birth to her children and she has her own money, a husband is a luxury.

In other words they don't need us. We need them - or we are victims of the illusion that we need them.

Quote Originally Posted by tommy_n_chucky View Post
    I just don't get looking someone in the eyes and making vows "for better or for worse/til death do us part" and getting divorced later, stupid I mean people still make those vows?
    People do mean that shit when they say it. Hope springs eternal in the human breast.
    Quote Originally Posted by progmatist
    if and when the marriage crashes and burns, it's usually the man who loses half his stuff.
    If one comes into a union with substantial assets, a pre-nup is not out of the question.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra
    In other words they don't need us.
    "A woman without a man is like a fish without a bicycle." Yes, we've been replaced by Hitachi.

In Copenhagen (Denmark) in the 80'ties there was a guy who bought all of the recordcompanies classical vinyl for nothing. They sold it because 'CD was the future'.
    He had a audio equipment shop (http://www.audioart.dk/ - owned by sombody else today), and sorted out those albums that had a great sound, great recordings (Decca etc.), and sold them expensive. He had great help in the fact that most CD's from that period sounded pretty bad.
    He made a two digit number of millions on this.

^^ - Good for him. Not easy to do. Classical is the ONE genre where CDs rule, due to dynamic range and length and low noise floor. And low hipster count.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    ^^ - Good for him. Not easy to do. Classical is the ONE genre where CDs rule, due to dynamic range and length and low noise floor. And low hipster count.
    Have you heard the CD with Vivaldi 4 seasons on Deutsche Grammofon with Anne Sophie Mutter ?
    One of the early CD's in the 80'ties. HORRIBLE !
    I have a few jazz/rock CD's bought in this period. The sound stinks.
    A friend of mine sold all his Zappa vinyl and bought the CD's (also 80'ties). He almost cried when he had to admit that the sound was so lousy.

I'm have both Vinyl and CD - both can sound superior. Depends of a multiple of factors.

Zappa CDs had a different problem.

Yes, Zappa invited chaos on his own catalogue in the CD era, so that is an extreme example. I remember thinking 'what the hell is that?' when I heard his Hot Rats remix which for many years was the only version in print. And he didn't add crappy 80s sounds to it so it's listenable, but really it's so sonically different from the original (different song lengths, different instrument placement) that he should have called it The Alternate Hot Rats or something. The later reissue CD campaign restored some of the originals (including Hot Rats) but not all of them; some of the original album mixes have only come out under alternate titles, so the confusion remains.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    Yes, Zappa invited chaos on his own catalogue in the CD era, so that is an extreme example. I remember thinking 'what the hell is that?' when I heard his Hot Rats remix which for many years was the only version in print. And he didn't add crappy 80s sounds to it so it's listenable, but really it's so sonically different from the original (different song lengths, different instrument placement) that he should have called it The Alternate Hot Rats or something. The later reissue CD campaign restored some of the originals (including Hot Rats) but not all of them; some of the original album mixes have only come out under alternate titles, so the confusion remains.
    I was under the impression that the 2012 catalog reissue were all original mixes, no?

Oh, thanks for that.

For the last 5 years or so I've been acquiring the Zappa catalog on vinyl so I don't really care, but I had forgotten about this site, so thanks for the great information.

Yep, I recall reading that Zoot Allures was an abomination and finding a clean vinyl was the best option at the time. After a couple of years, I found a pristine copy and did a needle-drop CD that sounds great.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

^Zoot Allures had its original mix restored in the last CD reissue campaign. That campaign seems to have flown under the radar really (that happens when you have as much product on the shelves as Frank Zappa does, alas). It seems to be mainly the 60s albums which were not restored to their original form with those particular reissues.

I have to say that CD of Hot Rats' original mix does sound terrific. Should have been like that all along.

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    Hey, the other 50% end in death!

My wife and I just celebrated our 28th wedding anniversary on Saturday. I was never too keen on "being married" per se, and we had a very low key ceremony, devoid of religious overtones and all the hoopla and expense that many modern weddings entail. But I have to say we've both enjoyed and respected being married to each other and have honored the commitment. It's not for everyone, and I wouldn't push it on anybody, but for those so inclined it can be great. I think a lot of people jump into it for the wrong reasons and without really knowing themselves or their partners well enough, and don't put in the work necessary to make it flourish.

For the record, we don't have kids, and are relieved every day we made that decision which for us was the correct one.

What this has to do with record players, I have no idea. Carry on.

Bill
    This description almost exactly mirrors mine, i.e. I'm married, but my wife and I early on decided not to have kids, and we get along great and have absolutely no regrets.

Nothing to do with record players but everything to do with solidarity with fellow musicians who have made similar life choices that they are happy with.

I have to say that CD of Hot Rats' original mix does sound terrific. Should have been like that all along.
    The remix was an abomination.

Quote Originally Posted by Koreabruce View Post
    This description almost exactly mirrors mine, i.e. I'm married, but my wife and I early on decided not to have kids, and we get along great and have absolutely no regrets.
    Wait until you need someone to change your diaper.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Have those Zappa discs ever been fixed?
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    Wait until you need someone to change your diaper.
    Probably my wife. She's 18 years my junior

Quote Originally Posted by Koreabruce View Post
    Probably my wife. She's 18 years my junior
    Dude. She'll be remarried and spending your money on teacup poodles.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Dude. She'll be remarried and spending your money on teacup poodles.
    More power to her, I say!