Thread: Question for Zappa experts (Roxy-related)

Question for Zappa experts (Roxy-related)

I finally got around to buying the new 7-disc boxed set The Roxy Performances today. Now that I have that, as well as the Roxy: The Movie blu-ray from a couple of years ago, and of course the original Roxy And Elsewhere CD, do I still need the one titled Roxy By Proxy? Or is that redundant now? I let it slip by at the time it was released, and now I can't remember what it actually is, and if there's anything on it I don't already have. Thanks for any help!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Everything played during the Roxy run is in the box. "Proxy" has different mixes of a selection of that material, but the new mixes in the box wipe the floor with them - whether or not you need "Proxy" depends on how much of a completist you are about different mixes, but you currently own all the performances that are on it.

Excellent. Exactly the info I was looking for, thanks Mike!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Proxy does have one of the best booklets in the Zappa catalogue though...Ruth going into massive detail about that period. It does make a nice comp of the shows as well, but as Mike says, the Roxy box mix is massively better.

Matt.

Hmmmm... it's only $13.91 at Amazon Canada, I might tack it on to an order. Not because I'm a completist but because that booklet does sound tantalizing...

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Excellent. Exactly the info I was looking for, thanks Mike!
    The "Roxy by Proxy" mixes are important because they are mixes done by Frank Zappa himself in 1987. (That also explains why they sound so different from the last ones just released). Also, you might find very interesting this article here

https://rhoerer.wordpress.com/2014/03/21/roxy-by-proxy/

^^^ Thanks for that. The desire to read Ruth's comments in that booklet proved too much for me. Ordered.

It goes to show that I can't be talked out of buying these things once the idea gets in my head.

The early slow and very jazzy version of Inca roads on "Roxy by Proxy" is absolutely worth having.

Is it also on other releases?

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    The early slow and very jazzy version of Inca roads on "Roxy by Proxy" is absolutely worth having.

Is it also on other releases?
    Everything from the Roxy is in the Roxy Performances box including that version of "Inca Roads" (which is from the late show on December 9).

If you mean other versions of that arrangement, there is a similar instrumental version on the Lost Episodes, and there are a few versions on bootlegs with Sal Marquez singing rather than George Duke (Sal had a good faux-Sinatra voice so it is a bit funnier).
    Last edited by pb2015; 05-28-2018 at 07:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sterbus View Post
    The "Roxy by Proxy" mixes are important because they are mixes done by Frank Zappa himself in 1987. (That also explains why they sound so different from the last ones just released).
    Yes, it is FZ's version of how to present the run on CD and has a few custom edits between shows as well as his 80's mixes. Since the YCDTOSA series introduced me to many of his bands I can still enjoy that sound although many people dislike it. I am sure most fans will find Proxy dispensable at this point though.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pb2015 View Post
    Everything from the Roxy is in the Roxy Performances box including that version of "Inca Roads" (which is from the late show on December 9).

If you mean other versions of that arrangement, there is a similar instrumental version on the Lost Episodes, and there are a few versions on bootlegs with Sal Marquez singing rather than George Duke (Sal had a good faux-Sinatra voice so it is a bit funnier).
    Heh. https://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm25620645