Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New Alco Frisbass - LE BATELEUR out

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Portnoy or Lars Ulrich.
    I had Tommy - THE instrument - Lee in mind

Portnoy or Lars Ulrich.
    Yeah, but a better choice would be Tommy Lee on roller coaster kit.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    wow- that's scary - we both posted Tommy at the exact same time.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Haha we're on the same wavelength here.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    is the cd available now?
    Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post
    Yeep, on bandcamp
    I got if from Laser's Edge who had recently stocked it. I'm not sure what vendors you use, but it seems to just be making its way to the vendor sites now.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    I've had it on repeat for a few days now

great stuff!
    Been on repeat for days here too - its growing into a real badass listen after 4-5 rounds. Familiarity creeping in!

Portnoy or Lars Ulrich.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post

What timing!

Quote Originally Posted by Kcrimso View Post
    Pleasant stuff but I miss the real drums.
    I like the fake drums, I think they fit well. But I agree, a very subtle drummer could have added some to it.
    I dont see how the drumming is "fake" really... I specifically have tuned in to only the Drums on my last listen since this criticism abounds and, even if the Drums are programmed, they have done a masterful work in that regard. It sure sounds like a real percussionist to me!
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    I dont see how the drumming is "fake" really... I specifically have tuned in to only the Drums on my last listen since this criticism abounds and, even if the Drums are programmed, they have done a masterful work in that regard. It sure sounds like a real percussionist to me!
    I totally agree. I was more taking the piss on the "real drums" statement than anything else. I truly like the drumming in there, and I am amazed to the quality of the programming. But I surely understand the difference.

The drums kick ass. A real player wont make any difference for me as this is super stuff. Fits the music quite well - has a nice sound - a real player might be too busy - hell - this is perfect. Anyway - my two cents

I’d prefer real drums too but they deserve praise these are some of the most convincing programmed drums i know of
    They fooled me for a second

Quote Originally Posted by Udi Koomran View Post
    I’d prefer real drums too but they deserve praise these are some of the most convincing programmed drums i know of
    They fooled me for a second
    It caught me out the first time too... I had to listen pretty close for a bit.

played in the car twice last night on the way back to North Holland

GF didn't complain - a bit to my surprise.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    played in the car twice last night on the way back to North Holland

GF didn't complain - a bit to my surprise.
    Well, it is very easy-going album.
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    ProgArchives says the band sounds like "an amalgamation of Spock's Beard and Gentle Giant." WTF?
    Just discovered this album today. Sounds good, but I hear a strong National Health influence.

Quote Originally Posted by StarThrower View Post
    Just discovered this album today. Sounds good, but I hear a strong National Health influence.
    Gave this a fresh listen tonight in light of this comment. Aside from some passing similarity on the fuzz organ tone, I'm not hearing a huge National Health connection. What are you hearing that makes you say this? Biggest influence I hear is Genesis, but not to the extent that Alco Frisbass are like Genesis clones.

Still loving this album.

Bill

I saw the name of the band, and it seemed familiar. Where had I heard that name before? Then it dawned on me. French satirist François Rabelais (of the famously ribald 17th century tale "Gargantua and Pantagruel") used an anagram of his name, Alcofribas Nasier, to publish what amounted to a vulgar but hilarious attack on clerics of his age.
    Last edited by The Dark Elf; 08-14-2018 at 06:51 PM.
    "And your little sister's immaculate virginity wings away on the bony shoulders of a young horse named George who stole surreptitiously into her geography revision."

Occasional musical musings on https://darkelffile.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    Gave this a fresh listen tonight in light of this comment. Aside from some passing similarity on the fuzz organ tone, I'm not hearing a huge National Health connection. What are you hearing that makes you say this? Biggest influence I hear is Genesis, but not to the extent that Alco Frisbass are like Genesis clones.

Bill
    Just the guitar and keyboard sounds for the most part. Not the music so much. I've been trying out a bunch of AltRock releases on bandcamp. I like this one, and Negative Toe so far.

Just the guitar and keyboard sounds for the most part. Not the music so much. I've been trying out a bunch of AltRock releases on bandcamp. I like this one, and Negative Toe so far.
    Yeah, I can understand that. Organ for sure, and guitar tones as well, but not so much the compositions.

Not sure I listened much to Negative Toe, I'll give that a whirl.

Bill

**Edit** Negative Toe is Camembert's second album! I have that, and it is good! Just forgot the name.

Bill, if you haven't heard them yet, try Nova Collective. I just bought the CD and I love it. All instrumental prog album.

Bill, if you haven't heard them yet, try Nova Collective. I just bought the CD and I love it. All instrumental prog album.
    Absolutely freaking LOVE the Nova Collective album! One of my favorites from last year... good call! Time to dig that out for a fresh spin.

Bill

This second album is quite different-sounding than their debut , which was more of a Canterbury stance. You can still hear some of that in Bateleur, but so much more as well.

Gave a spin of this album to my buddy last week and he was impressed, though he detected more Crimson than other bands.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dark Elf View Post
    I saw the name of the band, and it seemed familiar. Where had I heard that name before? Then is dawned on me. French satirist François Rabelais (of the famously ribald 17th century tale "Gargantua and Pantagruel") used an anagram of his name, Alcofribas Nasier, to publish what amounted to a vulgar but hilarious attack on clerics of his age.
    thanks for the origins
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Absolutely freaking LOVE the Nova Collective album! One of my favorites from last year... good call! Time to dig that out for a fresh spin.

Bill
    Nice! I figured you might already be onto this band.