Thread: Saw Weird Al last night...

Saw Weird Al last night...

...and, no, they didn't play "Genius in France."

Actually, this is one of the tightest bands I have ever seen live. But they were too loud for the venue.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    Did they play "One more minute?"
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    ...and, no, they didn't play "Genius in France."

Actually, this is one of the tightest bands I have ever seen live. But they were too loud for the venue.
    It's been the same guys for years and years. Al Yankovic is said to be one of the best guys in the music business to work for - pays well and on time, treats his band respectfully, runs a first-class professional operation, and is personally a decent human being.

Quote Originally Posted by Baribrotzer View Post
    It's been the same guys for years and years. Al Yankovic is said to be one of the best guys in the music business to work for - pays well and on time, treats his band respectfully, runs a first-class professional operation, and is personally a decent human being.
    Hmph, he'll not last long...

^^^ But he has lasted very long, hasn't he? I can't think of any other musician (even if he's really more of a comedian) that my daughters discovered and listen to with no prodding from me, who was already around when I was in high school. And he doesn't look much older either!

Quote Originally Posted by Baribrotzer View Post
    I encountered him on the sidewalk a few years ago, while we were both going in opposite directions. He obliged me a couple of minutes of awkward praise (I loved him as a kid).

He seemed like a really nice, down-to-earth guy.

I've heard that he's very good with his money and has a net worth somewhere between $15 and $20 million.

Quote Originally Posted by notallwhowander View Post
    Did they play "One more minute?"
    Yes, they did. And it was somewhere around there that I realized that his original songs tend to be rather mean-spirited, in particular towards women, who are either bitches or victims. It rather harshed my enjoyment of the show, alas. (That and the fact that the mix was too loud for the venue.)

Yes, they did. And it was somewhere around there that I realized that his original songs tend to be rather mean-spirited, in particular towards women, who are either bitches or victims. It rather harshed my enjoyment of the show, alas. (That and the fact that the mix was too loud for the venue.)

well I can see reading the songs like that I feel like more often than not the character singing the song is a buffoon of some sort so their foolish views should be taken as such.

I agree that it's "the character" and I'm sure that Yankovic has never done any of the things he describes ...

... why doesn't he have any "characters" with positive views of women? Is there nothing funny you can do about women without degrading them?

I agree that it's "the character" and I'm sure that Yankovic has never done any of the things he describes ...

... why doesn't he have any "characters" with positive views of women? Is there nothing funny you can do about women without degrading them?
    hey mrs claus was smart to make some money on her husbands going crazy...

and his mate in Albuquerque is fairly normal despite her joining the columbia record club but surely many of us have been tempted there too...

heck the narrator of you don't love me anymore has pretty positive views of his lady despite the things she does to him.

just don't know how you have a comedic love song about two people who respect eachother or don't do anything out of the ordinary.

don't even really see one more minute as degrading I mean who wants to hang out with their ex its hyperbole for comedic effect but doesn't really say anything specific about the girl just that he doesn't wanna be with her now that she has broken his heart, perfectly normal aside for the lengths he would supposedly go to avoid her.

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    I can see this. I really only tracked with him over his first few albums, and it was clear then that he took on the persona of a nerdy guy bitter about romance. I suppose if he has stuck with that, there would be quite a catalogue of misogyny.

Also, he depends a bit too much on cliche in his lyrics, imo. While that likely makes him more accessible, it does mean that misogynist cliches are rolled into the mix.
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by gojikranz View Post
    hey mrs claus was smart to make some money on her husbands going crazy...
    Ergo: bitch.

and his mate in Albuquerque is fairly normal despite her joining the columbia record club but surely many of us have been tempted there too...
    But leaving him over it? Bitch.

heck the narrator of you don't love me anymore has pretty positive views of his lady despite the things she does to him.
    Don't know that one. He certainly didn't play it on Saturday.

just don't know how you have a comedic love song about two people who respect each other or don't do anything out of the ordinary.
    Perhaps you should check out some of Allan Sherman's songs. "Harvey and Sheila," "Eight Foot Two," "Mrs. Goldfarb," etc.

don't even really see one more minute as degrading I mean who wants to hang out with their ex its hyperbole for comedic effect but doesn't really say anything specific about the girl just that he doesn't wanna be with her now that she has broken his heart, perfectly normal aside for the lengths he would supposedly go to avoid her.
    That's probably the least obnoxious of the songs in question. It's merely a "yeah, well, I don't want you either" spitefest.

Most of the male characters in his songs are also idiots. I suppose that also makes him a man-hater, or misandrist.

Ergo: bitch.

But leaving him over it? Bitch.

I don't see anything in the way he phrased it as a putdown on mrs claus so maybe you need to look at your own impressions of women's agency.

and he left her in albuquerque.

content and intent are not the same things if a movie has a woman raped in it it is not pro rape necessarily.

That's probably the least obnoxious of the songs in question. It's merely a "yeah, well, I don't want you either" spitefest.
    what other songs were in question? as aith01 points out the men are portrayed in much worse ways even in the songs you may think are meanspirited towards women.

anyways much too serious talk over things meant to be silly.
    Last edited by gojikranz; 05-23-2018 at 11:43 AM.

It's satire, folks. Does anyone remember Archie Bunker?
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"