Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: “Is that supposed to be music?”

“Is that supposed to be music?”

Let’s post some of our favorite spousal appraisals.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    "It's making me dizzy!" ( I think I was playing Ian Carr's Nucleus.)

Me: "Did you hear any of the new Marillion album I just played? What did you think?" (I was listening to This Strange Engine for the first time.)
    Her: "It sounded the same as all their other albums."

"Everything you listen to is wanker music."

"Too many notes!"
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

"What are you so angry about?"
    While listening to Schnellertollermeier. Now if was Zs, she might have a point.
    Last edited by markwoll; 05-17-2018 at 11:13 PM.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

This conversation has actually happened quite a few times over the years usually while riding in the car:

Wife: "What is that crap?"

Me: "It's the festival headliner that we are going to see this weekend"

The first time the late, great Kay heard Pavlov's Dog, she said of vox David Surkamp, "Is someone giving him a helium enema"?

A funny little story (sorry to all you Hawkwind fans): At Nearfest 2007, after about 10 minutes of Hawkwind, Kay said, "That's enough, you can stay if you want". After about another 20 minutes I had had enough (never a big fan-had only Mtn. Grill) & left.

After their set, (Violin) Cyndee Lee Rule & her late husband Jeff walked up to us and asked what we thought of Hawkwind. Before I could stop her (I knew they both loved HW), Kay blurted out, "They were horrible. I left after 10 minutes". They both looked crushed & sadly said, "They're our favorite band" & walked away. Kay avoided them the rest of the weekend.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

My wife loves tons of great music, but there are certain things that just aren't for her:

(After coming over to check the back cover of the Blackmore's Night CD I was playing, and then hitting the STOP button) : "I'm sorry, but I cannot listen to six more songs of this. I feel like I'm at a renaissance faire."

My first and last time playing a Cardiacs CD with her at home ended with her giving the "thumbs down" like in ancient Rome.

... and then there was the time she was getting ready for work and had to close all the doors she possibly could in order to drown out the Magenta CD I was playing, because she hated the vocals so much. She tends to prefer male vocalists for whatever reason. Oddly enough she adores Bent Knee, who I was afraid to play for her initially. No rhyme or reason, AM I RIGHT FELLAS?
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Well, I don't (and at this rate, probably never will) have a spouse, but I do have a relevant story.

One of my old jobs, I worked in a cafeteria kitchen with this chef who was Romanian, his name was Valentino. The manager allowed us to listen to music in the kitchen, "so long as it's not too loud". At some point, I established to Valentino that I was a Magma fan. I think I asked him if he knew who Magma were, and he says "I'm from Europe, of course I know Magma!". Then one day, he asks me to bring some of my Magma CD's to work to play.

Let's just say, some of our other co-workers weren't as enthusiastic about Zebehn Strain De Geustaah as I am. Valentino told me the one woman we worked with said that it sounded like "serial killer" music.

Our manager Geoff, perhaps not derisively, I'm not sure, suggested one of the pieces sounded like the music to a Hitchcock movie.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar

"What's this crap?"

"Soft Machine."
    "Sounds like the Machine is broken."

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    "This is really stressing me out."

"Sorry, I really do find it relaxing."
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    What the hell does she know, anyway. She's a Yannyite.

I find Klaus Schulze, Brian Eno, etc. interesting and relaxing - but I know other people who find it un-relaxing, disturbing, or even scary.

"You go. I'll stay home."
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

"What the hell are you listening to now?"
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

"Please turn the volume down", my mother while I listened to Holst - The planets.

“Feel free to tell your next wife about the new King Crimson album.”
    Daily jazz vinyl reviews on Instagram @jazzandcoffee

"I've had enough of these falsetto Beatle imitators!"

My now wife, then g.f., when I was trying to get her to appreciate Yes and Caravan.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Wee, Wa, Wa, Wee Wee Wa. Cruel imitation of synthesizer used in progressive rock.

Quote Originally Posted by markwoll View Post
    "What are you so angry about?"
    that's great.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

A very common phrase uttered by my non-prog friends when I had dragged them along to various prog gigs in London over the years...

'Is this still the same song'?
    I only clicked on it because I thought it was going to be something more interesting...

fun factoid:

The name "Random Radar" came from a spouse's appraisal of what she thought of the music.

"What sort of music does your husband play?"

"I don't know. Some sort of awful random radar music or something."
    Last edited by Steve F.; 05-18-2018 at 08:42 AM.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

"This sounds like music made by semi- intelligent insects"

Thus said a (former) girlfriend after i made the mistake of playing side three or four of Henry Cow Concerts in her presence.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tommy_n_chucky View Post
    "It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." ~ Voltaire

Lil Pump (Gazzy Garcia) is a shitty teenage spic rapper who has the mentality of a nigger. Like any other rapper, his lyrics are typically comprised of nigger values such as bitches, sex, money, and drugs. [Source: Encyclopedia Dramatica]

Published on Oct 23, 2017
    684M views as of May 18, 2018

On “Gucci Gang,” Lil Pump raps about women, money, drugs, jewelry, and high-end clothing—all recurring topics in Pump’s music.

The song became highly successful, debuting at #81 and peaking at #3 on the Billboard Hot 100, giving Lil Pump his first and only single (to date) to chart the Billboard Hot 100.

References: Genius: Gucci Gang lyrics
    You're wife wrote these reviews?
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    My wife uniformly hates 90% of everything I play, her general response in "You will have to put on your headphones that is giving me a migraine".

When in the car I have my ipod on shuffle, it also includes lots of classic rock, straight jazz, blues as well as the prog. The rule is she can FF anything she doesn't like, on one ten hour drive she once FF'ed 9 Hawkwind tracks.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    This conversation has actually happened quite a few times over the years usually while riding in the car:

Wife: "What is that crap?"

Me: "It's the festival headliner that we are going to see this weekend"

Holy crap, that just made me spit out some coffee!!!!!!... I had a near-similar convo with the Wife...but we were listening to Magma on our drive up to NF '03 (not surprisingly, the Wife's one and only NF trip)
    G.A.S -aholic