Thread: Happy the Man Tribute bands? Or even ones that cover HTM.

Happy the Man Tribute bands? Or even ones that cover HTM.

It's weird what you think about while mowing the lawn.
    So, I started looking around on utube and didn't find all that much.
    This one was pretty good.

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

This may be of some interest to HTM fans. Not a cover band.
    A HTM recording made at WGTB in 1975 for the Sounds Reasonable show.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by markwoll View Post
    That's what more prog bands need -- band members who look like escapees from a Robert Palmer video.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

OK, so HTM related.
    Covers of Kit Watkins's Labryrinth by percussion ensembles Two different interpretations of (what I assume ) is the same arrangement.
    The UofM ensemble has a bunch of prog related performances, ELP, Zappa..

-- Aristotle

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    It's weird what you think about while mowing the lawn.
    So, I started looking around on utube and didn't find all that much.

I gather Oblivion Sun wouldn't count.

Here's another attempt to cover Service with a smile:

Ten Jinn also performed two HTM-songs, of course played with Stan on guitar:

And what about this story:

Our Alan Benjamin from the band Advent (I don't remember where I found this quote, but I guess Alan can fill in):

Coincidentally, I attended Steve Vai's senior recital at Berklee--where his band, Morning Thunder, covered "Knee Bitten Nymphs In Limbo" within a set that only contained one other cover piece. David Rosenthal played keyboards in the band--and, after many years, I found out that he was the one who actually brought the tune into the set and did the transcription work. (I didn't realize that it was Steve's senior recital until a few years ago either, when I asked him about the possibility of obtaining recordings of their original material.)

Finally French TV's cover of Partly The State: https://frenchtv.bandcamp.com/track/03-partly-the-state

I didn't know Panzerpappa did I forgot to push it: https://panzerpappa.bandcamp.com/tra...-the-man-cover

Another Service (although I think they used the original):

Although no cover but a tribute from The Jeremy Cupert Project: Happy The Fan (short sample can be found here: https://store.cdbaby.com/cd/cubert)

It is a tough call ( not really ) to exempt bands with original members ( OS, ten jinn, etc ) from being called cover bands when bands with just one or no original members perform under the original band name.
    -- Aristotle

It is a tough call ( not really ) to exempt bands with original members ( OS, ten jinn, etc ) from being called cover bands when bands with just one or no original members perform under the original band name.
    Personally I see a big difference between Oblivion Sun, which is formed by Happy The Man-members, and Ten Jinn, which has sometimes a Happy The Man-member as quest. I wouldn't be surprised when the latter group would play HTM-covers when Whitaker isn't performing with them.

Ok not ten jinn, my bad. I had only heard of them in the context of the guesting. A good covers.
    -- Aristotle

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    Personally I see a big difference between Oblivion Sun, which is formed by Happy The Man-members, and Ten Jinn, which has sometimes a Happy The Man-member as quest. I wouldn't be surprised when the latter group would play HTM-covers when Whitaker isn't performing with them.
    Yes, Oblivion Sun is wonderful but quite different than HtM. They wanted to record some of the songs that were deemed 'not quite HtM material' by the HtM guys.
    I really like their work though.

I'm still waiting for a band to do tribute covers of a tribute band(Rush, Genesis I II III IV & V, Marillion, Fish).
    I also wonder where are all the Pendragon, IQ, Spocks Beard tribute bands are? Why isn't there a Glass Hammer Tribute band?
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

Of course, as with all things involving French TV on PE, it's up to me to chime in:
    On French TV #7, "The Case Against Art", we recorded the tune "Partly The State", from the HtM album "Beginnings". It featured original HtM vocalist and composer of "Partly The State" Cliff Fortney.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LStG3_xGvQ

Quote Originally Posted by M Sary View Post
    Of course, as with all things involving French TV on PE, it's up to me to chime in:
    On French TV #7, "The Case Against Art", we recorded the tune "Partly The State", from the HtM album "Beginnings". It featured original HtM vocalist and composer of "Partly The State" Cliff Fortney.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LStG3_xGvQ
    Although the vids might have distracted you Mike, your fine cover was mentioned in post #6, but it's fine to have a youtube now
    edit: I can't watch the youtube.

Geez, how'd I miss that?

Quote Originally Posted by M Sary View Post
    Geez, how'd I miss that?
    Hé Mike, just noticed you joined the wonderful Happy The Fans-forum!

I know this is an old thread but I just recorded something on my new keaboard that I think people on this thread might like. So here's a link. Enjoy ...

https://soundcloud.com/user-139631929/htm-open-book

Feel free to explore my other tracks on Soundcloud while you are there.
    Last edited by BobM; 01-24-2020 at 08:46 AM.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

There's NEVER a bad reason to bring up Happy The Man!

My band Helmet of Gnats used to cover I Forgot To Push It.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    Would have love to hear that!

Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    I know this is an old thread but I just recorded something on my new keaboard that I think people on this thread might like. So here's a link. Enjoy ...

https://soundcloud.com/user-139631929/htm-open-book

Feel free to explore my other tracks on Soundcloud while you are there.
    Brave effort! Even the Gentle Giant-break sounds cool.

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    Any recording of it?