Thread: Altin Gun- New Turkish psych band

Altin Gun- New Turkish psych band

I just found out about an amazing new retro-sounding Turkish psych/prog band called "Altin Gun," who don't seem too well-known among proggers yet, though I bet many folks here would enjoy them. Here's my favorite song of theirs I've heard so far, though it doesn't really get cooking until 3:00 :

They are a Dutch band from Amsterdam really with members from Turkish and Dutch descent. They play Turkish traditionals in psych rock arrangments. Quite fun.

Would not call them a prog band though.

A BIG Thank You for posting that clip! That was one seriously fine view and listen.

Oh! How I do indeed get moved by music. Hmmmmmm cost from their base to Raleigh-Durham say...Labor Day weekend??

Carry On
    Chris Buckley

Video w/ 2 songs -- the 2nd might be the generally more interesting one to folks here.

Cool stuff.

Saw them a couple of weeks back. Really great fun live. Lots of pretty turkish girls dancing in the audience too Go and see them when you have the chance. At least beats any evening watching netflix.

2 more of their youtube best-performance ones. Less on the prog rock side, though.
    3 of 4 posted here have little or no audience in the room and they're broadcasts -- it's easy to see that in such setting/combination these guys supply studio-album-like focus to their performance, in the absence of the party-like atmosphere of a typical concert (seen in their misc concert performances).

"Altin Gün - Vay Dünya (Inédit) | Live Plus Près De Toi"

"Altın Gün - Live at 3voor12 Radio"

Saw them live, in Britanny (Quimper), yesterday ! Lot of fun and an enthousiast crowd. Had the weird impression of hearing Erkin Koray, Mogollar etc. in 2018 - with an unchanged sound (vocals, instruments, and even the very cheap and simple but exquisite synths sounds of the time!). A nice moment. Bought the CD after the show but did not spin it yet.

In 1-2 interview clips I saw on youtube a few weeks ago, they explain they're an arranger/cover band, they don't write songs (at least not around the time period of those interviews) -- those clips explain they take songs by musicians like those you pointed out (mostly songs from the 70s) and arrange them in their own way, "Altin Gun'ifying" the songs. So, their arrangements and sound are unique, even though the sound is similar in some ways to those other ones from the 70s and such. For example, the 2nd song in original post is their arrangement of a song Koray played in the 70s and his version was essentially a cover version itself (at least that's what the youtube clip said, with the original being a folk song, played with folk instruments, not in this sort of band setting). Some songs they play can be traced back to original 'folk'/non-band versions, whereas some other songs they play were in the band/rock/pop setting originally.

Some songs that this band plays are taken from 70s' records that are by musicians basically a lot more unknown than Koray and Mogollar for this type of (psych-rock/similar) music (for example, some musicians known a lot more for pop/easy-listening releases in the 80s/etc but did psych-rock earlier, such as Alpay who released the song Yekte which is the 3rd song that Altin Gun is playing in the above small-radio-room video), and I believe some of those records aren't easy to find anywhere (and some of them might even be only Singles not LPs and so maybe even more rare, but I just noticed a minute ago that some are being re-released such as a 2013 re-release of an LP called Yekte by Alpay which I've never heard), and so, some of what this band plays are songs that people wouldn't easily find out about or get to hear otherwise, and, by that, I also mean prog/psych-rock listeners who already know about Koray and Mogollar and etc.
    Last edited by Yaman Aksu; 10-20-2018 at 09:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by thedunno View Post
    They play Turkish traditionals in psych rock arrangments. […] Would not call them a prog band though.
    But neither were really 3 Hür El, Mogollar, Cem Karaka, Dostlar, Koray or any of the other bigger names in 60s/70s Turkish rock - they merely sounded 'prog' at instance due to the sometimes formal intricacy of source material from Anatolian ethnic folk traditions, Hellenic archaic music, Mizrahi etc. The same phenomenon was prevalent in Israel as well, with artists like Shem Tov Levy, Shlomo Gronich, Arik Einstein and the lot, although they obviously also incorporated influences directly from Western art-rock/pop.

I thought these Altin Gun-men (& woman) sounded pretty darn good!
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

What specific types of musics influenced (in the 70s) the various Turkish rock-oriented musicians my post was talking about -- and I'd now also include Turkish rock-oriented musicians releasing music in the 80s so as to not exclude the 80s -- cannot be best determined without knowing what those musicians themselves explained/explain at various times about what their specific music influences were back in those decades. Duh.

I REALLY like their sound, but wish they were all instrumental, the singing doesn't do anything for me..

Another good one:

"Altin Gün [3] Seni Dileniyorum (Epe, Epop festival, 2-9-2017)"

They're progging out on this one:

Heads up: Touring Europe and USA the coming months.

https://altingunband.com/shows/
    Check out my concert videos on my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/broadaccent

They came to Cleveland recently, but I missed it. Bought the recent CD on Bandcamp, though.