Thread: New Thieves' Kitchen - thoughts?

New Thieves' Kitchen - thoughts?

Okay now that the new TK is out and sinking in... Surprised there hasn't been a lot of comment here on it yet.

I think its great, with 'Of Sparks and Spires' maybe barely nudging 'Hypatia' as my favorite song on the album. Like the last one it is very tight, symphonic, jazzy, tasteful, great musicianship, lyrics and vocals. Kind of a 'what's not to like' affair, in my opinion. Anyone else enjoying this?

I enjoyed it immensely. It's their best effort yet in terms of musicianship. The trumpet and cello are a nice symphonic touch.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

After two spins, my feeling is that it is OK, but not really spectacular. Noting turns me off, but nothing really jumps out and grabs me either.

I feel like the tempos of the album are a bit “samey,” and that everything sort of moves at the same mid-tempo speed. Harmonically the melodies, particularly the vocal melodies, unfold also in a very similar manner across the album to me. And I’m not hearing any melodic work as beautifully constructed as The Water Road or some other tracks from the past couple of albums, nor am I hearing it start to cook instrumentally like the past couple do at times as well.

All that said, I’m on listen two, and hopefully I’ll start hearing things that elevate it a bit with subsequent spins. But right now I wouldn’t put this at the top of my 2013 list.

Bill

Progstreaming-webmaster Sunhillow's Avatar
    This album is now at Progstreaming.

I am really liking this album, even more than "The Water Road", which I liked pretty well. I too am surprised there is not more comment about it here.

Many people commented on another Thieves' K thread quite recently.

They happen to be one of a few bands about whom I can say, "I love every frickin' note of all (5) their albums".
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Old man of prog
    Very underwhelmed

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post

I feel like the tempos of the album are a bit “samey,” and that everything sort of moves at the same mid-tempo speed.
    While I have enjoyed what I am hearing on progstreaming (some nice melodies for sure!) I agree that tempo is a major issue with this band. It is the same on Water Road. Dynamics and some propulsion are essential ingredients of symph epics, and prog in general. This band rarely rocks, or gallops, or marches, or even shuffles. There is no sturm-und-drang. It just all plods. And with few hooks to speak of, all that is left is the possibility of slowly discovering the melodies. Which are worthy, but take time: in my case, about 2-3 years for Water Road to sink in.