Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Best of 2018 so far

Quote Originally Posted by JAMOOL View Post
    Totally - I think its the best thing Emerson's been involved with since Brain Salad Surgery which is a bit sad, but still. Berry really came through on this one, especially on the second half. It's really sort of a unique album since Emerson's presence is everywhere but it's pretty far away from anything else he's done, sans maybe the first 3 album where you don't really detect him at all (outside of "Desde La Vida" of course). It's not the sort of collaboration that would've happened naturally which I think is what makes it fascinating. Of course a strong set of songs really helps.
    Beyond the handful of new albums that I like a lot, there are only 1 or 2 each year that I listen to obsessively--that I need to hear over and over. It's like they put themselves in the player and hit repeat a lot without any control from me.

In 2017 those were the Bubblemath and Hermeto's No Mundo Dos Sons

This year, 3.2 by Robert Berry proved to be that one. And, yes, it was a big surprise for me. I didn't much care for the original 3 record and I still don't. I like a lot of AOR but typically don't love it. But it's a strong set of songs and the arrangements are just perfect. Berry has distilled the essence of Emerson very effectively--one fan's perspective on what he would love to hear Emerson doing, and it's probably better than it would of been if Emo were actually on it!

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    Poor choice of words on my part apparently.

I can't relate. I won't go as far as saying that iconic masterpieces are getting released left in right each year, but there are just gobs and gobs of enjoyable music being made each year that butters my bread.

Millennium? I would not go that far. That's a lot of years!

I would say since 2010, imo, the best years were 2015, 2014, and 2013 in that order. 2018 is not bad, but I think comparable to last year.
    Had a quick look through my catalog to see how many GREAT albums were released each year over the last decade & I'd rank them

1. 2010
    2. 2011
    3=. 2009, 2014, 2016
    6=. 2012, 2013, 2015, 2017, 2018
    Ian

I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

I'll play but taking Gnosis12 or above only:

2010: Abu Nawas Rhapsody (Dhafer)
    2013: Guérison & Maalouf's Illusions
    2014: V2.0 (Gogo Penguin) and Open Me (Perret & Electric Epic)
    2015: Red & Black Light (Maalouf) and Kamasi's Epic
    2017: La Saboteuse and Is This The Life
    2018: Budo
    That's 10 in 8 years.
    That's about twice as much as during the 00's and the 90's, but the numbers of Gnosis11 have increased a fair bit in the 10's.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from heroin-addicts to crazy ones

Quote Originally Posted by LeFrog View Post
    Don't remember doing that but we all know you're the guy with the brains here. Anyone is entitled to prefer a RIO album to SEBTP, although I indeed prefer the latter by a wide margin, which apparently makes me suspicious.
    My comment wasn't meant to dismiss any of those albums I haven't heard, I'm just amazed there is so much music out there that passes me by. I should have known you'd go pedantic on me though.
    Yes, the pedantics tend to follow the brains as a force of necessity and nature. Yet it's all in fact a bit defensive, seeing how one title - such as Selling England by the Pound - is solely by its very name somehow elevated to axiomatic "higher standard" above an entire subset of music which encompasses ca. 2000 titles which you neither have heard nor know about.

Quote Originally Posted by LeFrog View Post
    I agree with you for what it's worth. I'm also quite certain you would have found many others to agree with you on other prog sites. But, hey, this is PE, the place where they can actually give you a list of 50 RIO albums that are so much better than SEBTP
    Hoy-hoy. Maybe if one was to pay less attention to the clandestine laws, regulations, implications and criteria of apparent "prog sites" and more to the phenomenon of music-as-simply-music, we'd have an even more rewarding discussion on that upcoming spectacular Neal Morse extravaganza bonanza.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    that upcoming spectacular Neal Morse extravaganza bonanza.
    I'm all for bonanzas, but not so sure about an extravaganza. That might be too much for me.

no new arrival, but an update of my Prog list
    In other words, there is now some kind of preferential order now.

Still in the running for top 7:
    VAK - Budo
    Aquaserge - Déjà vous?
    All Traps on Earth - A Drop of Light
    Far Corner - Risk
    Malady - Toinen Toista
    Alco Frisbass - Le Bateleur
    Forgas Band Phenomena - L’Oreille Électrique
    Soft Machine - Hidden Details
    Basta - Vertigo
    Gleb Kolyadin - Gleb Kolyadin
    Methexis - Topos
    Manna/Mirage - The Rest of the World

Will also likely be in the top 20:
    Elephant9 - Greatest Show On Earth
    Gryphon - Reinvention
    Scherzoo - 04
    The Necks – Body
    Jack O' The Clock - Repetitions of the Old City II
    Tunng - Dreams You Make At Night
    Ryley Walker - Deafman Glance
    Bubu - El Eco Del Sol
    Zwoyld - Zgond
    Lazuli - Saison 8
    Stop Motion Orchestra - Lightworks

Not likely to make it , but still have a shot and deserve a mention for this year
    All Them Witches - ATW4
    Weedpecker - III
    JM Jarre - Equinoxe Infinity

Eliminated
    Gosta Berlings Saga - Et Ex
    Homunculus Res - Della stresa sostanza dei sogni

Jazz (& related):

Maisha - There Is A Place
    Nik Bärtsch's Ronin - Awase
    Romain Baret - Naissance de l'horizon
    Gogo Penguin - A Humdrum Star
    Nat Birchall - Cosmic Language
    Idriss Ackamoor & The Pyramids - An Angel fell
    Kamaal Williams - The Return
    Flat Earth Society - Untitled #0
    Makaya McCraven - Universal Beings
    Kamasi Washington - Heaven and Earth
    Antoine Pierre Urbex - Sketches of Nowhere
    Vervloesem, Pierre - Silence Science
    Son Of Kemeth - Your Queen is a reptile
    Chip Wickham - Shamal Wind
    Dinosaur - Wonder Trail

Posthumous or reissue:

Coltrane - Both Directions At Once
    Jordsjo
    Marc Moulin Placebo Years - Lost & Found
    Last edited by Trane; 01-19-2019 at 10:57 AM.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from heroin-addicts to crazy ones

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post

Still in the running for top 7:
    VAK - Budo
    Aquaserge - Déjà vous?
    All Traps on Earth - A Drop of Light
    Far Corner - Risk
    Malady - Toinen Toista
    Alco Frisbass - Le Bateleur
    Forgas Band Phenomena - L’Oreille Électrique
    Soft Machine - Hidden Details
    Basta - Vertigo
    Gleb Kolyadin - Gleb Kolyadin
    Methexis - Topos
    Manna/Mirage - The Rest of the World

Will also likely be in the top 20:
    Elephant9 - Greatest Show On Earth
    Gryphon - Reinvention
    Scherzoo - 04
    The Necks – Body
    Tunng - Dreams You Make At Night
    Bubu - El Eco Del Sol
    Zwoyld - Zgond
    Lazuli - Saison 8

Not likely to make it , but still have a shot and deserve a mention for this year
    All Them Witches - ATW4
    Weedpecker - III

Eliminated
    You don't like new Jack O' The Clock?
    "A waste of talent and electricity." John Peel on ELP

As usual a lot of common ground here.
    Ian

There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

About as final as it's going to get, I suppose

Prog:
    1- VAK - Budo
    2- All Traps on Earth - A Drop of Light
    3- Far Corner - Risk
    4- Aquaserge - Déjà vous?
    5- Alco Frisbass - Le Bateleur
    6- Forgas Band Phenomena - L’Oreille Électrique
    7- Malady - Toinen Toista
    8- Basta - Vertigo
    9- Gleb Kolyadin - Gleb Kolyadin
    10- Methexis - Topos
    11- Manna/Mirage - The Rest of the World
    12- The Wrong Object - Zappa Jawaka
    13- Hedvig Mollestad Trio - Smells Funny
    14- Soft Machine - Hidden Details
    15- Elephant9 - Greatest Show On Earth
    16- Gryphon - Reinvention
    17- Scherzoo - 04
    18- The Necks – Body
    19- Tunng - Dreams You Make At Night
    20- Zwoyld - Zgond

Also deserve a mention for this year
    Bubu - El Eco Del Sol
    Lazuli - Saison 8
    All Them Witches - ATW4
    Weedpecker - III

Eliminated (their worst album so far)

Jazz (& related):
    1- Maisha - There Is A Place
    2- Nik Bärtsch's Ronin - Awase
    3- Romain Baret - Naissance de l'horizon
    4- Gogo Penguin - A Humdrum Star
    5- Nat Birchall - Cosmic Language
    6- Idriss Ackamoor & The Pyramids - An Angel fell
    7- Flat Earth Society - Untitled #0
    8- Antoine Pierre Urbex - Sketches of Nowhere
    9- Kamasi Washington - Heaven and Earth
    10- Vervloesem, Pierre - Silence Science
    11- Son Of Kemeth - Your Queen is a reptile
    12- Makaya McCraven - Universal Beings
    13- Kamaal Williams - The Return
    14- Chip Wickham - Shamal Wind
    15- Dinosaur - Wonder Trail

Posthumous or reissue:
    Coltrane - Both Directions At Once
    Jordsjo - their archives
    Marc Moulin Placebo Years - Lost & Found
    Evohé - s/t

Nice list! I will explore those I don't know as usual.
    Ian

Our lists are somewhat similar as usual. I'll post my "final" as well.

About as final as it's going to get, I suppose

9- Gleb Kolyadin - Gleb Kolyadin
    10- Methexis - Topos
    20- Zwoyld - Zgond
    All Them Witches - ATW4
    Weedpecker - III
    3- Romain Baret - Naissance de l'horizon
    12- Makaya McCraven - Universal Beings
    14- Chip Wickham - Shamal Wind
    I'm going to check some of these out. Thanks.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Here's my "final" updated 2018 ratings now that I am caught up as far as I can go (new in bold)

Prog, etc.
    1. Muse - Simulation Theory (80s retro meets sci-fi future. Fun album, many catchy songs)
    2. All Traps On Earth - A Drop of Light (Anglagardian and beyond, dark, retro, organic, tasty)
    3. Agusa - Ekstasis: Live in Rome (This live performance really brings their recent work to life. I am a big fan of their injection of folky melodies into the symph prog environment)
    4. Vak - Budo (Setna style zeuhl hitting all the right buttons)
    5. The Tangent - Proxy (Andy can still create compelling "third wave" symph prog. This is one the best efforts to date)
    <step>
    6. Alco Frisbass - Le Bateleur (high quality sophomore effort from these French canterbury - with a touch of zeuhl - musicians)
    7. A Perfect Circle - Eat the Elephant (Surprisingly accessible comeback album from this Tool related band. Catchy emo songs)
    8. Regal Worm - Pig Views (Another winner from Regal Worm that I wish I could describe for you lol)
    9. PinioL - Bran Coucou (80s Crimson meets Japanese zeuhl while auditioning for Zappa. Wowzers)
    10. Hedvig Mollestad Trio - Smells Funny (Another quality album for this guitar trio. Hedvig manages to invoke old masters like Hendrix and McLaughlin with more modern guitarists like Nels and Frisell into some unique tasty stew)
    11. Scherzoo - 04 (Francois Thollot's zeuhl outfit's 4th album. They are all worth grabbing)
    12. Of Montreal - White Is Relic / Irrealis Mood (If you're into modern day indie disco-dream-pop, OM can tickle that fancy. They have gotten a little more "straight pop" of late, but this is a throwback to their sophisticated dance music)
    <step>
    12. Forgas Band Phenomena - L'Oreille Electrique (Very pleasant ensemble-style composed jazz-rock - nice to see these guys back at it)
    13. Malady - Toinen Toista (Finnish progressive rock with a throwback feel. Compelling, but not quite top 5 worthy)
    14. Riverside - Wasteland (Quality return from Riverside. There is nothing mind-blowing here, but better than some of their recent work)
    15. The Pineapple Thief - Dissolution (Better than Wilderness imo, but still a bit more subdued than I like my TPT. Music is of high quality on its own accord however)
    16. Perfect Beings - Vier (These guys got very ambitious. It's a blend of modern prog with indie touches like Tame Impala, thown into a concept album. I feel like I'm rating this criminally low, but I'll need more time with it. Johannes Luley is an underrated artist imo)
    17. Koenji Hyakkei - Dhorimviskha (Worthy of the Koenji catalog, but not as ass-kicking as previous works)
    18. Motorpsycho - Roadwork Vol. 5: Field Notes (maybe the best of the series, nice selection of tracks)
    19. Steven Wilson - Home Invasion (Satisfying mix of past and present live music)
    20. Yes - 50th Anniversary: Live at the Apollo (cue audience clapping)

Jazz, etc.
    1. Steve Coleman and Five Elements - Live at the Village Vanguard, Vol. 1 (A real return to form here in the sense that it's a bit more "accessible" compared to some of his recent experiments)
    2. Lady With - The Lodge (Ghost Rhythms keyboardist leads this ensemble with a similar vibe, but bent more towards the classical/chamber style)
    3. Nik Bärtsch / Ronin - Awase (Best release in a while. There are some incredibly hypnotic grooves on this one)
    4. Dave Holland - Uncharted Territories (Wow. If it wasn't for its long length, this might get a top 3 for me. This is Holland's most experimental work as a leader in a while and well worth a listen for anyone who is a free jazz fan)
    5. Al Doum & The Faryds - Spirit Rejoin (Kosmigroovy, yet accessible)
    <step>
    6. Kamaal Williams - The Return (Funky 70s throwback with a twist. This should please fans of Herbie, CTI records, and the like)
    7. Idris Ackamoor & The Pyramids - An Angel Fall (70s throwback spiritual jazz. Lots of "caravan" rhythms mixed with a bit of afro-beat, lots of violin)
    8. Ghost Rhythms - Mind the Goat (EP) (Teaser holdover until a new album comes out)
    9. Marcin Wasilewski Trio - Live (This may be the best release this Polish piano trio ever released)
    10. Nat Birchall - Cosmic Language (Pretty typical spiritual (accessible) Coltrane style jazz. Start with the earlier albums first)
    11. Andrew Cyrille - Lebroba (New ECM goodness from the venerable Cyrille (with Wadada and Frisell). I like that Frisell doesn't dominate this release and the focus is on Andrew's drumming style)
    12. James Francies – Flight (coming out of nowhere and on Blue Note no less, this is his debut. There's some stunning compositional work on here, sometimes evoking textures you might find on ECM, but really more of a culmination of styles)
    <step>
    13. The Nels Cline 4 - Currents, Constellations (I expected this to get a lot more fanfare than it has as it was also released on Blue Note. Fans of this unusual dual guitar, bass, drums format should eat this up. It's pretty high energy avant-garde jazz, yet not noisy or inaccessible)
    14. Igor Lumpert / Innertextures - Eleven (Free jazz on the Clean Feed label. You have to fish through a bit to find the good stuff, but Lumpert delivers)
    15. Vinny Golia - Trajectory (If you have never heard Golia's brand of west coast avant-jazz, Trajectory is as good of a place to start. His work is stronger in larger ensembles as his arrangement skills come through)
    16. Kamasi Washington - Heaven and Earth (There's a little too much on this album to unpack, but there's so much tasty retro-jazz, R&B, 70s soundtrack music on here, it's a must hear)
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    Our lists are somewhat similar as usual. I'll post my "final" as well.

I'm going to check some of these out. Thanks.
    Just in case: Makaya McCraven's Universal Beings is pretty much in the line of his predecessor In The Moment (a double CD also recorded live in 2015) and presents a lot of similarities with Kamaal Williams' The Return , presenting a jazzified instrumental hip-hop (if that makes any sense to you) and shades of later-90's acid-jazz, all filled gorgeous 70's vintage sounds and playing

Sons Of Kemet. And I really loved this one, until the vocals kicked in and it was game over for me. If it was all instrumental I'd be playing it often.
    Two boys have been found rubbing linseed oil into the school cormorant.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Sons Of Kemet. And I really loved this one, until the vocals kicked in and it was game over for me. If it was all instrumental I'd be playing it often.
    You may want to check out their first two albums Lest We Forget What We Came Here To Do and Burn. They're both instrumental.

my final revised list incorporating the later albums in the year that I missed

PROG (of all styles)
    Top Tier:

Alco Frisbass Le Bateleur
    Asturias Across the Ridge to Heaven
    Tubo Elastico, El Impala
    All Traps on Earth A Drop of Light
    Methexis Topos
    Proportions Reboot

2nd Tier: (albums that are worth repeated listening)

Ain Soph Seven Colours
    Bubu El Eco Del Sol
    Daal Decalogue of Darkness
    Daal Navels Falling into a Living Origami
    Edwin, Colin / Robert Jürjendal Another World
    HAGO HAGO
    Holzman, Adam Truth Decay
    Human Factor Let Nature Take Its Course
    London Underground Four
    Soft Machine Hidden Details
    Watson, Dean Track of Days Can 2018

Albums I may listen to again if I can find the time:

B-Rain (Daal) Echoes from the Undertow
    Calibro 35 Decade
    Elephant9 Greatest Show on Earth
    Ontalva, Ángel / Vespero Carta Marina
    Perdomo, Fernando Out to Sea
    Roz Vitalis The Hidden Man of the Heart
    Sonar / David Torn Vortex
    Vantomme, Dominique Vegir
    Vespero Hollow Moon

Albums that did little to nothing for my listening pleasure:

Gösta Berlings Saga Et Ex
    Gryphon Reinvention
    OAK (Oscillazioni Alchemico Kompresse) Giordano Bruno
    Ring Van Möbius Past the Evening Sun
    Boffo, Jean Pascal Invizible
    Malady Toinen Toista
    PinioL Bran Coucou

JAZZ: Corea, Chick + Steve Gadd Band Chinese Butterfly (this does not really Rock out but it is not just Jazz either, so I guess I'll put it here anyway)

FUNK: sadly I did not find any Funk albums this year... did anyone else... recommendations please?

ROCK (popular radio style) ... nada in this category either
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    my final revised list incorporating the later albums in the year that I missed

PROG (of all styles)
    Top Tier:

Alco Frisbass Le Bateleur
    Asturias Across the Ridge to Heaven
    Tubo Elastico, El Impala
    All Traps on Earth A Drop of Light
    Methexis Topos
    Proportions Reboot

2nd Tier: (albums that are worth repeated listening)

Ain Soph Seven Colours
    Bubu El Eco Del Sol
    Daal Decalogue of Darkness
    Daal Navels Falling into a Living Origami
    Edwin, Colin / Robert Jürjendal Another World
    HAGO HAGO
    Holzman, Adam Truth Decay
    Human Factor Let Nature Take Its Course
    London Underground Four
    Soft Machine Hidden Details
    Watson, Dean Track of Days Can 2018

Albums I may listen to again if I can find the time:

B-Rain (Daal) Echoes from the Undertow
    Calibro 35 Decade
    Elephant9 Greatest Show on Earth
    Ontalva, Ángel / Vespero Carta Marina
    Perdomo, Fernando Out to Sea
    Roz Vitalis The Hidden Man of the Heart
    Sonar / David Torn Vortex
    Vantomme, Dominique Vegir
    Vespero Hollow Moon

Albums that did little to nothing for my listening pleasure:

Gösta Berlings Saga Et Ex
    Gryphon Reinvention
    OAK (Oscillazioni Alchemico Kompresse) Giordano Bruno
    Ring Van Möbius Past the Evening Sun
    Boffo, Jean Pascal Invizible
    Malady Toinen Toista
    PinioL Bran Coucou

JAZZ: Corea, Chick + Steve Gadd Band Chinese Butterfly (this does not really Rock out but it is not just Jazz either, so I guess I'll put it here anyway)

FUNK: sadly I did not find any Funk albums this year... did anyone else... recommendations please?

It's nice to be included on that list. Thank you!
    Out now! My latest work "Track Of Days"!

Actually three of my most played discs this year could be characterized as "rock" with no adjective necessary.
    1. Robert Berry 3.2 See my post #376
    2. Paul McCartney Egypt Station: the first one of his discs of the new millennium that I come back to every few weeks since its been out, and it just gets better each time.
    3. Interpol Marauder: 80s rock lives! But I like this one the most when it occasionally travels into Hawkwind territory.

Anyway you can't lose with any of these.

I like this one a lot, in the funk category. The simultaneously released fusion and prog ones, by the same artist, are good, too.

https://superfluousmotor.bandcamp.co.../trifecta-funk

neil

Quote Originally Posted by boilk View Post
    I like this one a lot, in the funk category. The simultaneously released fusion and prog ones, by the same artist, are good, too.

neil
    ooh... that's good stuff

put that on my best of 2018 in the Funk category... thanx Neil!
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

neil
    Hey Neil, I see this guy is Ontarians

Can you give me more info, please??
    (is he actually giving concerts - a real project - or just toying in mom's basement??)

I just heard the other two Trifecta project (Prog & Fusion) and they're all great.
    Last edited by Trane; 02-03-2019 at 06:28 AM.

Hey Neil, I see these guys are Ontarians

Can you give me more info, please??

I just heard the other two Trifecta project (Prog & Fusion) and they're all great.
    Trane, Superfluous Motor is actually the work of one person, Greg Chambers, who resides in Niagara Falls, Ontario. He claims to be a bit introverted and not a people person, so works on his own to create the music. He plays all instruments, and handles whatever programming is necessary. His main strength, to me, is his thick and tasty-sounding vintage keyboard playing and ability to write groove-laden riffs. I normally don't gravitate towards one man projects, but in this case I like his stuff a lot. All his releases are good quality, and you can name your own price.

neil

Trane, Superfluous Motor is actually the work of one person, Greg Chambers, who resides in Niagara Falls, Ontario. He claims to be a bit introverted and not a people person, so works on his own to create the music. He plays all instruments, and handles whatever programming is necessary. His main strength, to me, is his thick and tasty-sounding vintage keyboard playing and ability to write groove-laden riffs. I normally don't gravitate towards one man projects, but in this case I like his stuff a lot. All his releases are good quality, and you can name your own price.

neil
    Pretty cool! Thanks for the heads up on this one.

Ditto. . If Superfluous Motor had been around in the '70s and had printed up a few hundred vinyl copies of these I'm sure they would be selling for four figures today!

neil
    Thanks for the H.U.!.
    Pura Vida!.