Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Best of 2018 so far

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    Another Finnish goodie is Deep Space Destructors - Visions From The Void. Space prog in the vein of Hawkwind.
    On the list it goes! Cheers.
    “your ognna pay pay with my wrath of ballbat”

Bandcamp Profile

Quote Originally Posted by Kcrimso View Post
    Hah, those are very different kind of albums! Vesta is kind of girly and arty pop and Fagerlund very dark and heavy orchestral art music.
    Both areas of interest for me

If you like crepuscular chamber-pop with haunting female vocals (guessing you might) you could check out Maailma's album Speculum.

Bandcamp Profile

Quote Originally Posted by Mascodagama View Post
    Both areas of interest for me

If you like crepuscular chamber-pop with haunting female vocals (guessing you might) you could check out Maailma's album Speculum.
    Thanks I will check that out
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

Quote Originally Posted by Kilgore Trout View Post
    But wasn't that already the point of the more aggressive records from Univers Zero, starting with Ceux du dehors, and quite a lot of others RIO bands (especially some of Present's work)? Univers Zero wasn't only about dark beauty. They made some really Bartokian/agressive tunes.

Risk is a fine album, but I don't hear much stylistic difference with the other Far Corner records (and Endangered is from 2007) and others bands from the genre. I still don't know what is really unique about it.
    It's a fair topic to bring up since it's getting a lot of attention, but I think the struggle is between you and you. We have all been there.

FWIW, I like the Risk album but don't see the hullabaloo. Like you, it didn't knock me off my socks and I don't find anything particularly "unique" about it. However, as my tastes evolve/refine/mature over time, I find that I am looking for very specific stylistic elements in various musical choices to "hook" me. But that's on me, the listener.

The only part of your comment that I don't personally see as a fair evaluation of Risk is that it has to be "unique" in any way at all. While the RIO movement was more about attitude and counter-culture than it was about the musical output, there was a resulting consequence of the "style" of avant-prog that began to flourish. There seems to be a certain level of pressure from the fans point of view for avant-prog to be both avant-garde and to keep progressing. There's nothing wrong with that aspiration of course, but it's not a very sustainable trajectory. For me, Risk falls squarely in a style and does that quite well, and that's it. It's great to see so many people connect with it.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Hah, those are very different kind of albums! Vesta is kind of girly and arty pop and Fagerlund very dark and heavy orchestral art music.
    Just been listening to the Fagerlund guitar concerto on Youtube and liking it a great deal. Thanks!

Bandcamp Profile

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    It's a fair topic to bring up since it's getting a lot of attention, but I think the struggle is between you and you. We have all been there.
    There wasn't any struggle. I was merely asking Zappathustra what he found so unique about Risk. As i've seen many people praising this album, I was thinking I might be missing something. It appears I have not. No big deal.

I commented back in August how I could not see one 2018 album that I had bought or was planning to buy. 2 days from the end of the year, and I am still coming up blank. First year since I can remember I did not buy a single new release - let alone enjoy it. I think I may pick up the Spocks Beard, but wow, 2018 was a bust for me. Listened to a lot of new stuff, just nothing lit me up.

^ I bought more releases from the current year than any in many a while. I'd rate it as the strongest year in yonks, but as I didn't buy a lot in prior years, I'm probably not the best guy to make that evaluation.

Quote Originally Posted by Mascodagama View Post
    Just been listening to the Fagerlund guitar concerto on Youtube and liking it a great deal. Thanks!
    Great to hear that you enjoyed it! Guitar Concerto is not one of my favourite compositions by Fagerlund but I like it anyway.
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

Quote Originally Posted by Yodelgoat View Post
    I commented back in August how I could not see one 2018 album that I had bought or was planning to buy. 2 days from the end of the year, and I am still coming up blank. First year since I can remember I did not buy a single new release - let alone enjoy it. I think I may pick up the Spocks Beard, but wow, 2018 was a bust for me. Listened to a lot of new stuff, just nothing lit me up.
    TBH, I also thought back in august almost the same: outside Aquaserge, Lazuli, Kolyadin, Homunculus Res, Malady and Elephant9, I thought it was really poor year (so far).... T6BH, I only discovered half of those only in August

Then all hell broke loose with Tunng, Soft Machine, VAK, it really started pouring good releases.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    ^ I bought more releases from the current year than any in many a while. I'd rate it as the strongest year in yonks, but as I didn't buy a lot in prior years, I'm probably not the best guy to make that evaluation.

Mmmhhh!!!... If the first half of 2018 was like its last trimester, it might be up to 2015.... which was easily the best year (by a margin) since the millenium, IMHO
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Kilgore Trout View Post
    There wasn't any struggle.
    Poor choice of words on my part apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by Yodelgoat View Post
    I commented back in August how I could not see one 2018 album that I had bought or was planning to buy. 2 days from the end of the year, and I am still coming up blank.
    I can't relate. I won't go as far as saying that iconic masterpieces are getting released left in right each year, but there are just gobs and gobs of enjoyable music being made each year that butters my bread.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Mmmhhh!!!... If the first half of 2018 was like its last trimester, it might be up to 2015.... which was easily the best year (by a margin) since the millenium, IMHO
    Millennium? I would not go that far. That's a lot of years!

I would say since 2010, imo, the best years were 2015, 2014, and 2013 in that order. 2018 is not bad, but I think comparable to last year.
    Last edited by Poisoned Youth; 12-30-2018 at 08:16 AM.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    It's been another good year for me, bought around 50 new releases of which around 30 were good. Of those I'd say 5 were great, Far Corner, Koenji Hyakkei, Piniol, Alec Redfearn & VAK. I have a hard time separating years in the 10's always find 5 to 10 I really like.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

updated on next page
    Last edited by Poisoned Youth; 01-29-2019 at 08:22 AM.

Here's my updated 2018 ratings. I know of another 5-10 albums that could bump into this list in about a month, so...

Prog, etc.
    1. Muse - Simulation Theory (80s retro meets sci-fi future. Fun album, many catchy songs)
    2. All Traps On Earth - A Drop of Light (Anglagardian and beyond, dark, retro, organic, tasty)
    3. Vak - Budo (Setna style zeuhl hitting all the right buttons)
    4. PinioL - Bran Coucou (80s Crimson meets Japanese zeuhl while auditioning for Zappa. Wowzers)
    5. The Tangent - Proxy (Andy can still create compelling "third wave" symph prog. This is one the best efforts to date)
    6. A Perfect Circle - Eat the Elephant (Surprisingly accessible comeback album from this Tool related band. Catchy emo songs)
    7. Regal Worm - Pig Views (Another winner from Regal Worm that I wish I could describe for you lol)
    8. Alco Frisbass - Le Bateleur (high quality sophomore effort from these French canterbury - with a touch of zeuhl - musicians)
    9. Forgas Band Phenomena - L'Oreille Electrique (Very pleasant ensemble-style composed jazz-rock - nice to see these guys back at it)
    10. Malady - Toinen Toista (Finnish progressive rock with a throwback feel. Compelling, but not quite top 5 worthy)
    11. Scherzoo - 04 (Francois Thollot's zeuhl outfit's 4th album. They are all worth grabbing)
    12. Of Montreal - White Is Relic / Irrealis Mood (If you're into modern day indie disco-dream-pop, OM can tickle that fancy. They have gotten a little more "straight pop" of late, but this is a throwback to their sophisticated dance music)
    13. Riverside - Wasteland (Quality return from Riverside. There is nothing mind-blowing here, but better than some of their recent work)
    14. The Pineapple Thief - Dissolution (Better than Wilderness imo, but still a bit more subdued than I like my TPT. Music is of high quality on its own accord however)
    15. Motorpsycho - Roadwork Vol. 5: Field Notes (maybe the best of the series, nice selection of tracks)
    16. Steven Wilson - Home Invasion (Satisfying mix of past and present live music)
    17. Gösta Berlings Saga – Et Ex (Nice songs as they stand alone. As a whole album, it's lacking something)
    18. Yes - 50th Anniversary: Live at the Apollo (cue audience clapping)
    19. Perfect Beings - Vier (These guys got very ambitious. It's a blend of modern prog with indie touches like Tame Impala, thown into a concept album. I feel like I'm rating this criminally low, but I'll need more time with it. Johannes Luley is an underrated artist imo)
    20. Sonar / David Torn - Vortex (High expectations here, so a bit disappointed. But it's still quality SONAR music in the end)

Jazz, etc.
    1. Steve Coleman and Five Elements - Live at the Village Vanguard, Vol. 1 (A real return to form here in the sense that it's a bit more "accessible" compared to some of his recent experiments)
    2. Lady With - The Lodge (Ghost Rhythms keyboardist leads this ensemble with a similar vibe, but bent more towards the classical/chamber style)
    3. Nik Bärtsch / Ronin - Awase (Best release in a while. There are some incredibly hypnotic grooves on this one)
    4. Al Doum & The Faryds - Spirit Rejoin (Kosmigroovy, yet accessible)
    5. Dave Holland - Uncharted Territories (Wow. If it wasn't for its long length, this might get a top 3 for me. This is Holland's most experimental work as a leader in a while and well worth a listen for anyone who is a free jazz fan)
    6. Kamaal Williams - The Return (Funky 70s throwback with a twist. This should please fans of Herbie, CTI records, and the like)
    7. Ghost Rhythms - Mind the Goat (EP) (Teaser holdover until a new album comes out)
    8. Marcin Wasilewski Trio - Live (This may be the best release this Polish piano trio ever released)
    9. Nat Birchall - Cosmic Language (Pretty typical spiritual (accessible) Coltrane style jazz. Start with the earlier albums first)
    10. Andrew Cyrille - Lebroba (New ECM goodness from the venerable Cyrille (with Wadada and Frisell). I like that Frisell doesn't dominate this release and the focus is on Andrew's drumming style)
    11. James Francies – Flight (coming out of nowhere and on Blue Note no less, this is his debut. There's some stunning compositional work on here, sometimes evoking textures you might find on ECM, but really more of a culmination of styles)
    12. The Nels Cline 4 - Currents, Constellations (I expected this to get a lot more fanfare than it has as it was also released on Blue Note. Fans of this unusual dual guitar, bass, drums format should eat this up. It's pretty high energy avant-garde jazz, yet not noisy or inaccessible)
    13. Igor Lumpert / Innertextures - Eleven (Free jazz on the Clean Feed label. You have to fish through a bit to find the good stuff, but Lumpert delivers)
    14. Vinny Golia - Trajectory (If you have never heard Golia's brand of west coast avant-jazz, Trajectory is as good of a place to start. His work is stronger in larger ensembles as his arrangement skills come through)
    15. Kamasi Washington - Heaven and Earth (There's a little too much on this album to unpack, but there's so much tasty retro-jazz, R&B, 70s soundtrack music on here, it's a must hear)

Still not ranked: Roine Stolt, Koenji, Idris Ackamoor, Hedvig Mollestad, The Winstons
    That Kamaal Williams album is killer! It would definitely land in my top 3.

^^Thank you Poisoned for adding the brief summaries with your selections. I find that much more helpful than a straight laundry list, and now have much homework to check in on what I missed this year!

I thought Perfect Beings "Vier" was a stunningly ambitious release and is probably my favorite from this year. A modern "Tales of Topographic Oceans" in a way, but sonically more diverse.

Surprise runner-up for me is 3.2 "The Rules Have Changed." Robert Berry turned a potential "could have been" with Keith Emerson into a compelling and fun album, and a fittingly respectful way to remember Keith. The only part that didn't work for me was the Jordan Rudess solo, because he is so sonic and stylistically different than everything else that is going on, but it is only a brief moment. A Berry/Rudess album however could be interesting.
    -noisynoise
    www.polarizedguru.com - 5-piece jazz fusion group
    www.incandescentsky.com - inventive improvisational instrumental ensemble

1. Marillion "All One Tonight"
    2. Yes "Fly From Here: Return Trip"
    3. Bill Bressler "Normal Boy"
    4. Steven Wilson "Home Invasion"
    5. Big Big Train "Merchants of Light"
    6. Robert Reed "Sanctuary III"
    7. Spock's Beard "Noise Floor"
    8. Agusa "Agusa"
    9. King Crimson "Meltdown"
    10. 3 "The Rules Have Changed"

Honorable Mention: Sanguine Hum "Now We Have Power," The Pineapple Thief "Dissolution," Weedpecker "III"

Quote Originally Posted by noisynoise View Post
    Surprise runner-up for me is 3.2 "The Rules Have Changed." Robert Berry turned a potential "could have been" with Keith Emerson into a compelling and fun album, and a fittingly respectful way to remember Keith. The only part that didn't work for me was the Jordan Rudess solo, because he is so sonic and stylistically different than everything else that is going on, but it is only a brief moment. A Berry/Rudess album however could be interesting.
    Totally - I think its the best thing Emerson's been involved with since Brain Salad Surgery which is a bit sad, but still. Berry really came through on this one, especially on the second half. It's really sort of a unique album since Emerson's presence is everywhere but it's pretty far away from anything else he's done, sans maybe the first 3 album where you don't really detect him at all (outside of "Desde La Vida" of course). It's not the sort of collaboration that would've happened naturally which I think is what makes it fascinating. Of course a strong set of songs really helps.
    Critter Jams "album of the week" blog: http://critterjams.wordpress.com

Final top 10

1 Koenji Hyakkei – Dhorimviska
    2 Far Corner – Risk
    3 Bob Drake - L'Isola dei Lupi
    4 Mary Halvorson – Code Girl
    5 Jonathan Finlayson – 3 times round
    6 Homunculus Res – Della stessa sostanza dei Sogni
    7 Cheer-Accident: Fades
    8 Gogo Penguin - A Humdrum Star
    9 Basta – Vertigo
    10 Lady With - The Lodge

Still not ranked: Roine Stolt, Koenji, Idris Ackamoor, Hedvig Mollestad, The Winstons
    Hey Cozy,

you must know by now that I always pay attention and dissect your yearly list:

- thanks for Regal Worm (that's a winner for me), James Francies (at times brilliant, but rather uneven >> I'll Keep an eye/ear on him)
    - No wonder that I've been missing on Nat Birchall's latest albums: he's not on Gondwana anymore. >> this one's great. THANKS
    - Is that The Winstons' Pictures At An Exhibition, you're after??
    - As for Hedvig Mollestad, I've been searching something new in 2018, and was only able to come up with a 2014 album (all them witches)
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

In fact I think at this point I prefer Life Size to Songs. it is that good!
    Have ordered.

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by noisynoise View Post
    I thought Perfect Beings "Vier" was a stunningly ambitious release and is probably my favorite from this year. A modern "Tales of Topographic Oceans" in a way, but sonically more diverse.
    I've been randomly sampling people's suggestions -- thanks all -- and Perfect Beings is the one I've enjoyed most so far. Jack o' the Clock also good.

Henry
    Last edited by bondegezou; 01-02-2019 at 09:57 AM.
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post

-- As for Hedvig Mollestad, I've been searching something new in 2018, and was only able to come up with a 2014 album (all them witches)
    http://www.runegrammofon.com/artists...s-funny-lp-cd/

My list of 2018 releases:

All Traps On Earth- A Drop Of Light- symph prog - 5
    Vak- Budo- zeuhl/prog/avant- 5
    Al Doum & The Faryds- Spirit Rejoin- psych jazz - 5
    Malady- Toinen toista- 70s style prog- 5
    Weedpecker -III— heavy psych- 5
    el tubo elastico-Impala- jazz rock- 5
    Far Corner- Risk- avant prog- 5

Mt. Mountain- Golden Rise- neo psych- 4.5
    Amgala Temple- Invisible Airship- jazz rock/ psych- 4.5
    Vespero- Hollow Moon- avant prog- 4.5
    King Buffalo- Longing To Be The Mountain- heavy psych- 4.5
    Telegraph- MIR- symph prog- 4.5
    Bubu- El eco del sol- symph prog- 4.5
    Zwoyld- Zgond- avant prog/ fusion?- 4.5
    Sleep- The Sciences- stoner - 4.5
    Mother Turtle- Zea Mice- avant prog/ fusion- 4.5
    Somali Yacht Club- The Sea- stoner/indie rock- 4.5
    Estuary Blacks- Estuary Blacks- heavy psych- 4.5

Alamut- Alamut- heavy psych- 4
    Misfits Of Sythia- Uncanny Valley- prog/jazz/avant- 4
    Frequency Rhythm Distortion Delay-Psychic Lemon- psych- 4
    Rymdstyrelsen- Space Is Cold- psych/ retro rock- 4
    Blackwulf- Sinister Sides- metal- 4
    Astrodome- II- heavy psych- 4
    Fire Down Below- Hymn Of The Cosmic Man- stoner metal- 4
    Astral Blue- Out Of The Astral Blue- psych/ retro rock- 4
    Mouth- Floating- psych- 4
    Khan- Vale- stoner- 4
    Sunnata- Outlands- heavy psych/ metal- 4
    The Qualitons- Echoes Calling- melodic symph prog- 4
    Kosmodrom- Gravitationsharkose- psych/ krautrock- 4
    Legs On Wheels- iguana Salad- canterbury prog- 4
    Sonorous- The Howling Eye- heavy psych- 4
    The Holifields- Hugo Holifield & The Atomic Phaser- psych- 4
    Also Frisbass- Le Bateleur- avant prog- 4
    Thousand Limbs- Woe- post metal- 4
    Ring Van Mobius- Past The Evening Sun- retro prog- 4
    Fiction:The Antipop- Controlled Chaos- jazz/heavy psych/controlled chaos- 4
    Vespero- Carta Marina- avant prog- 4
    Atavismo- Valderinferno- neo psych- 4
    Manthra Dei- Bipolar Bears- prog/fusion/psych- 4
    Forming The Void- Rift- stoner- 4
    Druid- The Seven Scrolls- neo psych- 4
    Garnotte- EP 1- quebecois prog- 4
    SpaceSlug- Eye The Tide- stoner- 4
    Sarcophagus Now- Sarcophagus Now- retro prog- 4
    Rifflord- 7 Cremation Ground/Meditation- stoner- 4
    The Myrrors- Borderlands- psych- 4
    Juzz- Juzz- jazz rock- 4
    Yatay- Adrift- psych- 4
    Deep Space Destructors- Visions From The Void- space/psych- 4

Strider- Ironlea- stoner- 3.5
    Aqueous- Colour Wheel- jam band- 3.5
    The Necromancers- Of Blood And Wine- stoner/ metal- 3.5
    Blue Dream- Volume Won/ Volume Blue- heavy psych- 3.5
    Venus Negra- Ratacao Reversa- heavy psych- 3.5
    The Trona Experience- Synergist- heavy psych- 3.5
    Meridian Sun - The Curse- stoner- 3.5
    King Buffalo- Repeater- heavy psych- 3.5
    Crypt Trip- Rootstock- retro/ blues rock- 3.5
    Sundrifter- Visitations- stoner/ desert rock- 3.5
    The Watchers- Black Abyss- metal- 3.5
    Craang- Shine- stoner- 3.5
    Thirst Planet- The Essence- stoner- 3.5
    Kamadeva- Ritual en carcosa- heavy psych- 3.5
    Gaupa- Gaupa- psych/ retro rock- 3.5
    Bardo Pond- Volume 8- psych- 3
    Earthless- Black Heaven- heavy psych- 3
    Saturno Grooves- Solar Hawk- stoner- 3
    Dune Pilot- Lucy- stoner/ desert rock- 3
    Petyr- Smolyk- stoner/ occult metal- 3
    Destroy Earth- The Nature Of Love- stoner- 3
    Elefante Mutante- Campos de Energia- psych- 3
    Fungus Hill- Cosmic Construction On Proxima B- neo psych- 3
    Wooden Shjips- V- psych- 3
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    My list of 2018 releases:

All Traps On Earth- A Drop Of Light- symph prog - 5
    Vak- Budo- zeuhl/prog/avant- 5
    Al Doum & The Faryds- Spirit Rejoin- psych jazz - 5
    Malady- Toinen toista- 70s style prog- 5
    Weedpecker -III— heavy psych- 5
    el tubo elastico-Impala- jazz rock- 5
    Far Corner- Risk- avant prog- 5

Mt. Mountain- Golden Rise- neo psych- 4.5
    Amgala Temple- Invisible Airship- jazz rock/ psych- 4.5
    Vespero- Hollow Moon- avant prog- 4.5
    King Buffalo- Longing To Be The Mountain- heavy psych- 4.5
    Telegraph- MIR- symph prog- 4.5
    Bubu- El eco del sol- symph prog- 4.5
    Zwoyld- Zgond- avant prog/ fusion?- 4.5
    Sleep- The Sciences- stoner - 4.5
    Mother Turtle- Zea Mice- avant prog/ fusion- 4.5
    Somali Yacht Club- The Sea- stoner/indie rock- 4.5
    Estuary Blacks- Estuary Blacks- heavy psych- 4.5

Alamut- Alamut- heavy psych- 4
    Misfits Of Sythia- Uncanny Valley- prog/jazz/avant- 4
    Frequency Rhythm Distortion Delay-Psychic Lemon- psych- 4
    Rymdstyrelsen- Space Is Cold- psych/ retro rock- 4
    Blackwulf- Sinister Sides- metal- 4
    Astrodome- II- heavy psych- 4
    Fire Down Below- Hymn Of The Cosmic Man- stoner metal- 4
    Astral Blue- Out Of The Astral Blue- psych/ retro rock- 4
    Mouth- Floating- psych- 4
    Khan- Vale- stoner- 4
    Sunnata- Outlands- heavy psych/ metal- 4
    The Qualitons- Echoes Calling- melodic symph prog- 4
    Kosmodrom- Gravitationsharkose- psych/ krautrock- 4
    Legs On Wheels- iguana Salad- canterbury prog- 4
    Sonorous- The Howling Eye- heavy psych- 4
    The Holifields- Hugo Holifield & The Atomic Phaser- psych- 4
    Also Frisbass- Le Bateleur- avant prog- 4
    Thousand Limbs- Woe- post metal- 4
    Ring Van Mobius- Past The Evening Sun- retro prog- 4
    Fiction:The Antipop- Controlled Chaos- jazz/heavy psych/controlled chaos- 4
    Vespero- Carta Marina- avant prog- 4
    Atavismo- Valderinferno- neo psych- 4
    Manthra Dei- Bipolar Bears- prog/fusion/psych- 4
    Forming The Void- Rift- stoner- 4
    Druid- The Seven Scrolls- neo psych- 4
    Garnotte- EP 1- quebecois prog- 4
    SpaceSlug- Eye The Tide- stoner- 4
    Sarcophagus Now- Sarcophagus Now- retro prog- 4
    Rifflord- 7 Cremation Ground/Meditation- stoner- 4
    The Myrrors- Borderlands- psych- 4
    Juzz- Juzz- jazz rock- 4
    Yatay- Adrift- psych- 4
    Deep Space Destructors- Visions From The Void- space/psych- 4

Strider- Ironlea- stoner- 3.5
    Aqueous- Colour Wheel- jam band- 3.5
    The Necromancers- Of Blood And Wine- stoner/ metal- 3.5
    Blue Dream- Volume Won/ Volume Blue- heavy psych- 3.5
    Venus Negra- Ratacao Reversa- heavy psych- 3.5
    The Trona Experience- Synergist- heavy psych- 3.5
    Meridian Sun - The Curse- stoner- 3.5
    King Buffalo- Repeater- heavy psych- 3.5
    Crypt Trip- Rootstock- retro/ blues rock- 3.5
    Sundrifter- Visitations- stoner/ desert rock- 3.5
    The Watchers- Black Abyss- metal- 3.5
    Craang- Shine- stoner- 3.5
    Thirst Planet- The Essence- stoner- 3.5
    Kamadeva- Ritual en carcosa- heavy psych- 3.5
    Gaupa- Gaupa- psych/ retro rock- 3.5
    Bardo Pond- Volume 8- psych- 3
    Earthless- Black Heaven- heavy psych- 3
    Saturno Grooves- Solar Hawk- stoner- 3
    Dune Pilot- Lucy- stoner/ desert rock- 3
    Petyr- Smolyk- stoner/ occult metal- 3
    Destroy Earth- The Nature Of Love- stoner- 3
    Elefante Mutante- Campos de Energia- psych- 3
    Fungus Hill- Cosmic Construction On Proxima B- neo psych- 3
    Wooden Shjips- V- psych- 3
    whoah! what a list there Yves... you sure do buy a LOT of music! I'm going to be checking out quite a few of those before making my final 2018 list. I did not even know El Tubo Elastico had a new album out. I absolutely loved their first one!
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

El tubo's second picks up where the first left off and steps it up a notch. Great album!

Yeah... I spend a lot of time on Bandcamp, always looking for new bands. Since I don't buy physical media any more, I have more musical purchasing power. A lot of stuff under $5 or at "name your price" on that list.
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-