Thread: Brian Eno-Music for Installations

Brian Eno-Music for Installations

Hiya...

Anyone hear this yet? I'm listening to it now...just streaming at my place, medium volume as I'm pottering around the apartment, giving my dogs their DEMANDED attention...really gorgeous stuff. (Hmmmm, my condo as an installation...there's a concept!!)

I'm thinking if it was, say 20 years earlier I wouldn't really be "appreciating" this stuff as much as I do now...but that was a different time, and definitely a different head space for me. But now is now and this is a perfect foil for all the Cyclic Law material (and it's plentiful) I've been overdosing on lately.

So, there is enough going on here sonically to keep this from being a pure low key ambient drone cycle (at least about an hour into it of it's 5 + hour duration over the course of 5 cd's) but still, extremely slow moving and quite blissful. Lots of electronic sound-posts to latch on to such as incredibly sustained ringing bells, minimalist piano notes drenched in all kinds of reverb, deep subsonic bedrocks, tapped metal against metal and under-pining alot of it is the infinitely sustained electronic drone.

I'm liking it the more I hear...and I can probably see myself reaching for it during different environmental scenarios. (What I mean by this is...I live on the 22nd floor in downtown Chicago and have a great view of an industrial/urban landscape that is in flux right now...gotta love gentrification, right? Anyway, the view obviously changes with the southern exposure I've got, not to mention seasonally. This music is a great limbic soundtrack to all of that.)

High recco on this one!

best
    Michael
    If it ain't acousmatique-It's crap

Mine arrived yesterday.God only knows when i'll find time to immerse myself in it,given the crush of other stuff i've bought recently(and not so recently), but i'll get to it.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Pretty sure my copy from Chez Wayside will be at my door when I get home tomorrow. Looking forward to it...

well here is a little treat for you guys while you are waiting...

http://www.iwickmann.com/

If you have a smart TV...get the Vimeo app and watch though your system. Its video artist Ines Wickman working with Francis Dhomont and other acousmaticists...I'm watching now and wow...just freaking wow!!!

(John, is Dhomont a new name for you? I'm pretty sure Walt may know him)

best
    m

Quote Originally Posted by neuroticdog View Post

(John, is Dhomont a new name for you? I'm pretty sure Walt may know him)

best
    m
    I know the name,probably from perusing record labels he has music on, but i've never heard his stuff.What would you recommend?

Francis Dhomont right now is probably the elder statesman working in the Acousmatic field. He's a French ex pat that (as far as I know) relocated to Montreal. Now there is a fairly vibrant acousmatic scene in Montreal, centering around the Empreintes DIGITALes label where most of his work resides.

The best, or at least the most complete place to get this stuff is electrocd.com. Warning, it aint cheap so shop other sources like Amazon/Ebay etc for better prices.

What I recommend? Well the link up thread will give you a really great sampling of what he is all about. (And he's all about being a 10th level master sound alchemist that others only dream of getting close to. If there was a course at Hogwarts for Acousmatique arts, he would be the headmaster, with his eye patch, black gown, disheveled hair, clothes that never met an iron etc. etc. etc...get it..ok?)

My entry point was a disc called Frankenstein Symphony which is not on the Empreintes DIGITALes label and may be easier to get though more commercial channels. It's four long pieces of sampled sounds which he pieced together from his students at the time into a cohesive thematic whole. It's as good a place as any to start with, but if you get him, and his music, and it somehow resonates with you... you'll want it all. Unfortunately it may be costly.

Hope this helps.

best
    Michael

Quote Originally Posted by neuroticdog View Post
    the Empreintes DIGITALes label l
    Yeah, that's the label.Electrocd.com is the site i saw his stuff on.Pretty sure that's the site i bought the 2cd Parmegiani"Matieres Premieres" set from.You're right, they ain't cheap.

Thanks for the reco.