Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Steven Wilson - a lot of records

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    28 for me, although I have all of the IEM in the one box set so does that count as 4 or as 1?

I should give Sunsets on Empire a listen. There was a bunch of hype when it came out because of SW's involvement but I was so soured on Fish solo after the (IMO) dreadful Vigil in a Wilderness of Mirrors album that I ignored it.
    When Vigil... and Marillion's Seasons End came out, I listened to both albums endlessly. I loved both. Are there any songs on Vigil... that you like? I don't care for A Gentleman's Excuse Me or The Voyeur much, but I think the rest is great. Big Wedge does have a bit of a Phil Collins sound which could be a problem for some, but I love the song. Do you like Marillion's "Seasons End?"

Quote Originally Posted by Kcrimso View Post
    Sunsets On Empire is great! The best solo album Fish ever did.
    Agreed! Love this album. The first three or four tracks are excellent, and Tara is a great song. Reminder to pull this one out this weekend!

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    When Vigil... and Marillion's Seasons End came out, I listened to both albums endlessly. I loved both. Are there any songs on Vigil... that you like? I don't care for A Gentleman's Excuse Me or The Voyeur much, but I think the rest is great. Big Wedge does have a bit of a Phil Collins sound which could be a problem for some, but I love the song. Do you like Marillion's "Seasons End?"
    I love Seasons End. I think I just don't like Fish outside of Marillion (and I only like about 50% of him with Marillion. )

I think for me, he's at his best when he has to function as just one part of the greater whole. I've listened to enough of his solo stuff that they always seem to showcase the things about him I don't like the most. They just come spewing out of my speakers, like bad beer blasting you in the face. How's that for an analogy?
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    It's his (and very crucially Tim Bowness') outlet for tricky dub-pop. Flowermouth is a great place to start with their bonafide song-formats, while Flowermix displays their strategy of remixing and redeveloping. With No-Man I find that it often boils down to whether or not you can stand Bowness' voice. The instrumental studio work itself was always expertly executed, although I haven't really been listening to them since the late 90s.
    The latter three No-Man albums veered into Talk Talk/Mark Hollis territory (with Together... the most successful integration IMO), mostly shedding the dub-pop influence. I like Tim's voice, so these releases work for me.
    -noisynoise
    www.polarizedguru.com - 5-piece jazz fusion group
    www.incandescentsky.com - inventive improvisational instrumental ensemble

Banned
    ... Let's just hope no one proceeds to launch a third alternative, for instance 'lying down' - in that case it should probably be a new, separate thread on that option....
    Finally a comment on this thread that I find interesting. I just might shatter your hope Mr. Scrotum as I have long thought the best way to enjoy a concert is indeed lying down, preferably Roman style on nice couches with haute cuisine, naked lady servants etc. etc.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Let's just hope no one proceeds to launch a third alternative, for instance 'lying down' - in that case it should probably be a new, separate thread on that option.

You could go to a Robert Rich show.

Quote Originally Posted by Buddhabreath View Post
    I just might shatter your hope Mr. Scrotum as I have long thought the best way to enjoy a concert is indeed lying down, preferably Roman style on nice couches with haute cuisine, naked lady servants etc. etc.
    Unfortunately I was thinking more in line with the lying down Elderhome style. Draped in sheets and donning oxygene masks and containers for the sleep apnea, as the bloated dino-generation of top-wage and wig-wearing proglodytes enter rapid eye movements to the accompanying of a desperate Willy as he sways his toupé, jerks that electrified plank and pumps out some hot disco tune while complaining in lyrics how his audience isn't the proper one.

Quote Originally Posted by noisynoise View Post
    The latter three No-Man albums veered into Talk Talk/Mark Hollis territory
    Another one of SW's big influences. Interestingly, you can hear more traces of the It's My Life and Colour of Spring era than from the following, more experimental one. Which is understandable, as SW himself was of the "right" age and affinity when those titles roamed the British charts.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Buddhabreath View Post
    Finally a comment on this thread that I find interesting. I just might shatter your hope Mr. Scrotum as I have long thought the best way to enjoy a concert is indeed lying down, preferably Roman style on nice couches with haute cuisine, naked lady servants etc. etc.
    I really want to attend a concert at that place in Bad Sulza in Germany, where you float in saltwater, and the music is somehow piped into the water. One of the artists from the Manikin label did a concert there - would have loved that. It looks like they do some that are outdoors under a full moon!

BTW, in case anyone's interested, I see that Manikin records has a ton of stuff up on Bandcamp.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post

You could go to a Robert Rich show.
    Oh, cool!

Banned
    Unfortunately I was thinking more in line with the lying down Elderhome style. Draped in sheets and donning oxygene masks and containers for the sleep apnea, as the bloated dino-generation of top-wage and wig-wearing proglodytes enter rapid eye movements to the accompanying of a desperate Willy as he sways his toupé, jerks that electrified plank and pumps out some hot disco tune while complaining in lyrics how his audience isn't the proper one.
    too good! ...and a much more likely realized scenario for me.