Thread: Big Big Train - Far Skies Deep Time - Sequence Order?

Big Big Train - Far Skies Deep Time - Sequence Order?

I just went to the BBT website and bought the track "Kingmaker", which wasn't on the original CD when I bought it. I'm going to add the new track into the album on my computer but am curious what BBT fans on PE think the order of the tracks should be. Do I still open with the cover "Master of Time"? Lead with "Kingmaker"? Or am I just over-thinking this?
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I had kind of forgotten about this but it sounds familiar. Here's some info, if you haven't found this page yet:

http://bigbigtrain.com/main/discography/fsdt/

My approach would be to have Master of Time as the first track, and Kingmaker as a "bonus" track at the end, since the band must have wanted Master of Time to be the first track but later encountered some resistance or legal issue. Just a guess.

BTW, I must listen to Kingmaker - I don't think I've heard it, and my mother was born in Magdeburg.

Their approach to lyrical subjects is certainly cool. I need to check out the site more. Thanks!
    Last edited by JKL2000; 05-01-2018 at 10:58 PM.

The recent re-release has Kingmaker as the opener and Master of Time at the very end, after Wide Open Sea.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    I just went to the BBT website and bought the track "Kingmaker", which wasn't on the original CD when I bought it. I'm going to add the new track into the album on my computer but am curious what BBT fans on PE think the order of the tracks should be. Do I still open with the cover "Master of Time"? Lead with "Kingmaker"? Or am I just over-thinking this?
    You should have just bought the new cd version of it just released. "Kingmaker" btw is one of their very best tracks ever imo.

Kingmaker as the first track is the way to go. Master of Time as the ending bonus track.

For the BBT completists out there, the new 6 track reissue of Far Skies Deep Time actually has an alternative mix of Kingmaker with additional keyboard work by Andy Tillison. This version is different from the original that was available on the download, the russian 2011 issue of the EP and the Prog magazine CD from 2011.

It flows so well with Kingmaker as the opener.
    The Prog Corner

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by miamiscot View Post
    It flows so well with Kingmaker as the opener.
    Ok, I stand corrected, not having heard Kingmaker but only having the original CD.

I usually go for the original version of an album, especially when it's the one I discovered first. I bought the original EP with Master of Time as the opener when it came out, but I had to also get the one with Kingmaker as the opener because, indeed, it really works. The band seem to agree: the download version available for several years has Kingmaker as the opener, and they also made that choice for the new reissue.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I had kind of forgotten about this but it sounds familiar. Here's some info, if you haven't found this page yet:

http://bigbigtrain.com/main/discography/fsdt/

My approach would be to have Master of Time as the first track, and Kingmaker as a "bonus" track at the end, since the band must have wanted Master of Time to be the first track but later encountered some resistance or legal issue. Just a guess.
    Master of Time was on the original release but I suspect Kingmaker wasn't completed at the time. When their russian label wanted to reissue the EP the following year, they couldn't get the rights for Master of Time in Russia as it is an Anthony Phillips cover. So the band replaced it with Kingmaker, and it seems that it has become their favourite version of the EP as I said above.