Thread: Pat Metheny 2018 tour - Europe and US*

Pat Metheny 2018 tour - Europe and US*

He's got a new quartet of youngsters and apparently they're digging into his early repertoire. I'm finally going to correct the cardinal sin of never having seen him live.

http://www.patmetheny.com/schedule/

*Plus one Canadian date.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Looks like it has potential.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

If this is the same band he had last year, it'll be fantastic. I couldn't tell you everything they did during the show I saw (though I imagine the setlist has to be online somewhere), but I'm fairly certain I heard Phase Dance, Bright Size Life and a couple other familiar tunes, I think he did an solo acoustic version of Last Train Home, and the last number (after he held up one finger and mouthed the words "One more") was definitely Are You Going With Me. The band was him, a drummer, bassist, and a keyboardist. The drummer was Antonio Sanchez, can't remember the bassist or piano player's names.

Through the course of the show, he swapped between his hollowbody electric (custom built by a luthier whose name I forget, basically a single cutaway version of an ES-150) steel and nylon string acoustic guitars, the Pikasso made an appearance, and he also had what appeared to be a stock Roland G-303 (presumably mated with a GR-300) that he used for the guitar synth numbers (other shows I've seen him he had a couple different G-303's, but they were extensively customized, one had the console for the Synclavier mounted in the body, along with a Roland GK-2 pickup, and the other had a tremolo arm and a custom neck installed on it).

Definitely worth seeing if you like Metheny's music, and most especially if you like hearing a more stripped down version of what he does, sans vocalists and other ancillary musicians. I've seen Metheny four times now, and I've never been disappointed.

Saw him years ago when Wisconsin boy Lyle Mays was in the band & they played here pretty much annually. I may have to drag myself off the couch for the Madison gig.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

I think it is the band he has had since 2016 - Gwilym Simcock on keyboards, Linda Oh on bass and Antonio Sanchez on drums.

I may have to check this out. I haven't seen PM since he toured as The Pat Metheny Trio (with Bill Stewart and Larry Grenadier).

Quote Originally Posted by pb2015 View Post
    I think it is the band he has had since 2016 - Gwilym Simcock on keyboards, Linda Oh on bass and Antonio Sanchez on drums.
    That was the band I saw him with in Birmingham last year, and they were excellent.

Definitely worth catching them if they play near where you live.

Strathmore is a go! The last couple of times I have seen the Unity band he had the Orchestrion.
    No hints of it on this tour. I like it.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Hmmm...this is coming close to me...and on a weekend...

I might actually do this.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.