Thread: The Young Gods - L'Eau Rouge

The Young Gods - L'Eau Rouge

I accidentally bumped upon this...

...and was stunned. What is this? Sounds like music written for ballet, with clear metal references (listen to Longue Route), and a delirious Tom Waits singing in French! Of course the all-knowers here know this band, but to me it came like a shock.

So my questions, in order of significance:

-Are they prog?

- Who are they? How did they come up with this kind of music? Is the rest of their work that good?

Enlighten your ignorant prog-fellow. Thank you in advance.

Semi-legendary Swiss neo-industrial noise-metal trio, usually centred on the lineup of keys/samples/electronics, drums, vocals. They used to be tagged the "European Ministry", which was a gross insult. Sort of.

They're "prog" enough to have been invited to play the RIO fest in Carmaux, but honestly... No. I saw them live in '92 on the tour for their (then) recent T.V. Sky release, and it was quite good. But they were kind of an equivalent to a band like Can in that they were arty externals approaching the medium of rock - rather than rockers attempting to reach "outside". Powerful, though.

The Young Gods have mingled with highly interesting Swiss pionéers like Stefan Wittwer, Alboth! and Steamboat Switzerland, all of whom are ultra-cerebral 'post-modern' takes on apparent forms like synth-pop, progressive rock, industrial etc. I haven't been hearing much from that whole scene in recent years, but you should check it out. Strange and alien stuff, much of it.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

I wouldn't classify them as prog, but they're pretty good. More industrial metal, with the cabaret added for flavor.
    Pretty cool stuff. I haven't heard the rest of their output, so I'm not sure if the cabaret thing is just for this project, or a part of their sound in general.

Found this one when I was trying to learn French. Figured listening to some music sung in French would help. Pretty sure it didn't help me at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Stefan Wittwer
    It's Stephan, you evil prog snob elitist moron maroon baboon! 'Stefan Wittwer' is a cross-country skier, goddammit!
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Bought it at the time and still love it.

If I'm not mistaken, the main riff of Longue Route is sampled from Voivod.

Try this sucker:

Quote Originally Posted by Kavus Torabi View Post
    If I'm not mistaken, the main riff of Longue Route is sampled from Voivod.
    wow! Do we know which song?

Off the top of my head I think it's Technocratic Manipulators from Dimension Hatross.
    The song that starts with the line "I found an entry to the system"

Quote Originally Posted by Kavus Torabi View Post
    Off the top of my head I think it's Technocratic Manipulators from Dimension Hatross.
    The song that starts with the line "I found an entry to the system"
    The top of your head is right! Confirmed.

A Young Gods single actually got some MTV play around 1991-92 when MTV were willing to promote some industrial bands. I remember being quite impressed with it at the time, though apparently not enough to seek out the CD. No memory of the song title or anything else about it...

EDIT: The MTV single I was thinking of was "Skinflower" which comes in at about 11:30 on the Tv Sky album. The staccato metal riff immediately jogged my memory, even after all these years. Not often in the mood for this kind of music but it serves as an effective antidote after listening to too much symph.

Last edited by arturs; 04-24-2018 at 05:07 PM.

Their best album I love it
    I saw them live on this tour twas one of the best shows I ever saw

saw these guys in a festival back in 91 or 92, but not by choice; they were just on the bill of an otherwise great (for the times) line-up.

Hated them then, but they were clearly ahead of the times.
    Will have to re-investigate.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Excellent band. One of my wife's favorite, btu she's a big fan of Play It Again Sam, Wax Trax, etc.

For my money, Only Heaven should be standard issue to anyone/everyone! Sample away!

"Always ready with the ray of sunshine"