Thread: Glass Hammer - New Album

Glass Hammer - New Album

Pre-ordering autographed copies begins today at The Glass Hammer Store.

Mostly Live In Italy

Fred played the guitar parts? I'm a bit confused... either way, autobuy for this guy right here!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Fred played the guitar parts? I'm a bit confused... either way, autobuy for this guy right here!
    "Mostly Live..." That's why it's mostly live! <g> Thanks for pre-ordering!

Is Kamran Alan no longer in the band?

Pre-ordered!

Quote Originally Posted by Soc Prof View Post
    Is Kamran Alan no longer in the band?
    It's looking that way. The GH Facebook page has a photo of Steve, Fred, Susie and Aaron with the caption "And Then There Were Four". Their wikipedia page has also been updated to list him in the "former members" section. And Fred recently posted that his Pink Album (side project with Alan) "may get back-burnered" now, even though it's finished and "just sitting there". Mysterious.... it was only last month he said he was hoping for a mid-April release date.

Ahh well. Changes happen all the time in GH, but the core remains intact.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

You'll be pleased to know that Glass Hammer fans have hijacked the Druid thread on your behalf...

Looking forward to hearing it.
    ... “there’s a million ways to learn” (which there are, by the way), but ironically, there’s a million things to eat, I’m just not sure I want to eat them all. -- Jeff Berlin

A snippet from Rapturo! Hope you like.

Glass Hammer is normally hit or miss for me. Out of the blue today, my Pandora prog station played Longer, their Dan Fogelberg song from the Shadowlands CD. Very good remake and incredibly different from the original.

I guess I need to go back through their catalog and see what else I missed.

An even newer album is on the way. Check out Chronometree's Tom. This is video 8. Be sure to see them all on the Glass Hammer YouTube channel.

Quote Originally Posted by Glass Hammer View Post
    "Mostly Live..." That's why it's mostly live! <g> Thanks for pre-ordering!
    Catching up on my 'live' Glass Hammer. Actually listened again to the Lex Rex DVD which was my intro to the band now many years ago. Before finding this thread I watched at least one GH video from their live performance in Italy. It's pretty great and Kamran definitely plays live with the band in Italy.

Why would Fred re-record all of his live guitar parts and the official release video make it look like the band was a four piece at the concert? Seems strange haha. Not that I really expect an answer this far out from the release! It made me think, what if Steve Hackett's guitar parts were all replaced by Mike Rutherford during the mixing of Second's Out, after Steve decided to leave the band lol. Imagine the cover photo with the cool airplane lights but cropped with no sign of Mr. Hackett? Weird, no?

edit: I'm not sure Rutherford could sound like Hackett even if he tried. Daryl S maybe since it was his job to play Steve's parts live.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquatarkus View Post
    Imagine the cover photo with the cool airplane lights but cropped with no sign of Mr. Hackett? Weird, no?
    Why do you refer to them as "airplane lights?" Just curious - it made me pull up the album cover to have a look, which isn't a bad thing. Is that what they're called, or just your choice of descriptor?

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Why do you refer to them as "airplane lights?" Just curious - it made me pull up the album cover to have a look, which isn't a bad thing. Is that what they're called, or just your choice of descriptor?
    They are landing lights used for large aircraft.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    They are landing lights used for large aircraft.
    Oh, that's what they used all those years? Interesting...

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Oh, that's what they used all those years? Interesting...
    Ya! I can't remember where I read that about the cover of Seconds Out but it was a while back. Those lights make for a cool album cover shot.

Boeing 747 lights I thought ....

It feels like I saw them a decade ago but it was just last May 2017. GH is a very accomplished band but sadly underrated.

In 2017, Steve and Fred had finally managed to assemble a cohesive and tight live touring band at the time when they played the Terra Incognita festival in Quebec City.
    Steve Babb and I had a very pleasant and enlightening conversation that day in Quebec City.

Their guitarist Kamran Alan Shikoh (who also plays the electric sitar) now gone from that configuration but the core of Steve, Fred, Suzie and drummer Aaron Raulston remain solid.
    A new album by Glass Hammer is always a welcome treat. Hope to see them back in Canada soon after this pandemic mess ends.