Thread: RIP BRUNO SAMMARTINO

RIP BRUNO SAMMARTINO

Growing up in Pittsburgh in the 60's, this guy was all that. Gentleman, and entertainer extraordinaire.

I went to grade school with his sons.

He lived less than a mile from me in a middle class neighborhood. Still did as I know.

Studio wrestling with Chilly Billy, Pie Traynor and ringside Rosie.

An era has passed.

I was a big wrestling fan in the 70's before it went high-tech. I saw Bruno wrestle Killer Kowalski in the feature match at Nassau Coliseum when it first opened. A month later I went to Madison Square Garden and saw the same two combatants perform nearly the exact same match that they did at the Coliseum. The Coliseum was great for wrestling because they barely drew 2,000 fans so we bought $3 upper level tickets and got to move down to the folding seats on the floor.
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

The last of the three great former champions of their respective promotions (along with NWA's Lou Thesz and AWA's Verne Gagne), he put the World Wide Wrestling Federation on the map, sold out Madison Square Garden about 60 times and was revered for decades (especially on the east coast). A sad end of an era but glad he was honored a few years ago at the WWE Hall of Fame ceremony.

wrestling - bruno primo carnera.jpgwrestling - bruno 1963.jpgSammartino vs morales.jpgwrestling - bruno vs kowalski 1969.jpg

Talk about an even sadder day in the world of pro wrestling... Paul Jones (a former wrestler in the Mid-Atlantic territory and manager to stars like Ivan Koloff, Abdullah The Butcher and the Powers of Pain) died today.

I was never a big Bruno fan, as I always routed for the bad guys ("Win if you can; lose if you must; but always always cheat."). Never got the full story on why he was on the outs with Vince McMahon for so many years until about a couple years ago.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    Never got the full story on why he was on the outs with Vince McMahon for so many years until about a couple years ago.
    I would guess it was because Bruno had some morals.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    I was never a big Bruno fan, as I always routed for the bad guys ("Win if you can; lose if you must; but always always cheat.").
    I always went for the heels too (the Valiant Brothers with Lou Albano at the helm were the funniest interviews, absolutely shredded young McMahon) but I respected Bruno. He always wanted to play it straight, i.e. "scientific wrestling"...
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

"The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Legends in their respective professions...

DbFLf6-WAAoCjek.jpg
    Last edited by Brave73; 04-20-2018 at 06:42 AM.

Never a big wrestling fan, but everyone knew Bruno's name when I was a kid. RIP.