Thread: RIP R. Lee Ermey , Full Metal Jacket actor

RIP R. Lee Ermey , Full Metal Jacket actor

Ermey played the drill sgt. " Pile, what IS your major malfunction ?!"
    After a late start , went on to a busy carreer. Pretty young death , only 74.

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    That was a truly iconic performance. Hard to forget. R.I.P.
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

And who can forget him in Saving Silverman

The rumor is that Kubrick refused to do anything but hire a real drill sergeant (which Ermey was before he retired) rather than an actor. The idea worked very well, thanks to Ermey's innate acting ability.

RIP.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

I remember reading that Ermey was originally hired as a military consultant but was so good he replaced the actor intended for the role. Could be wrong of course...........

I wasn't positive myself so I checked Wikipedia:

"For the next few years, Ermey played a series of minor film roles until 1987, when he was cast as drill instructor Gunnery Sergeant Hartman in Stanley Kubrick's Full Metal Jacket.[8] Initially, he was intended to be only the technical advisor.[8] Kubrick changed his mind after Ermey put together an instructional tape, in which he went on an extended tirade towards several extras, convincing Kubrick he was the right man for the role.[8] Seeking authenticity for the film, Kubrick allowed Ermey to write or edit his own dialogue and improvise on the set, a notable rarity in a Kubrick film.[9] Kubrick later indicated that Ermey was an excellent performer, often needing just two or three takes per scene, also unusual for a Kubrick film.[10] "