Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: ProgDay 2018

^^^^ People will never be quiet at an outdoor festival like they will at an indoor concert venue, and that's the rule rather than the exception.

I'm not taking sides here, just stating reality.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

It may be reality, but it is rude.
    There is a Huge field and many places to take a conversation away from the stage.
    Many people do just that.
    A few just don't give a darn about other people's experience.
    Having to yell louder to make yourself heard over the band should be the first ( and last ) needed clue to find a quieter place to talk.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Having suffered through the heat I'm rather glad than ProgDay isn't this weekend.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Indeed. It could be tremendously wet.

Put me in the camp of HATING it when people gab through bands. If you want to talk with music in the background, move to the background.

Now I didn't have the issue this year, but there were people who would stand up in the canopy in front of me and block the view occasionally. You have a seat....use it.

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    ^^^^ People will never be quiet at an outdoor festival like they will at an indoor concert venue, and that's the rule rather than the exception.

I'm not taking sides here, just stating reality.
    The heavy alcohol consumption doesn't help - I've noticed that the chatter gets heavier as the day goes on and people have consumed more beers. Not that I'm criticizing people for drinking - that'd be pretty hypocritical of me. But it does seem to loosen the tongues.

I know it's a lost cause, but I figure if I complain about it enough, maybe one or two people will see it and be more considerate next year.

I always think it gets worse every year (this was my 22nd ProgDay), but I still remember a bunch of guys sitting behind me at ProgDay '98 annoying the heck out of me by talking the whole way through Cast's set. So I guess it's just a universal thing.
    --
    The internet was better before Berners-Lee let the riff-raff in.

I'm a little surprised at the amount of heat complaints, as I honestly thought that it was not that bad this year. As to talking, I didn't notice too much, but agree it's distracting. I really like Soften the Glare, especially Ryan Martinie's bass playing, so I moved up closer, and didn't hear much talking at that distance. Drinking can of course, contribute to that problem, especially if it's not your favourite band who's on stage. All told, another great line-up and weekend, with not quite the obvious headliner-type bands of recent years, but a lot of bands that I really liked, so it was all good, to me.

neil

Quote Originally Posted by boilk View Post
    I'm a little surprised at the amount of heat complaints, as I honestly thought that it was not that bad this year. good, to me.

neil
    It was hot, but there have been years that were a lot hotter. Anyone who was there back 1998 when it was in the upper 90's plus humidity......now that was hot. I also did not think it was excessively hot this year, although I did make sure I drank plenty of water along with my beer.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    It was hot, but there have been years that were a lot hotter. Anyone who was there back 1998 when it was in the upper 90's plus humidity......now that was hot. I also did not think it was excessively hot this year, although I did make sure I drank plenty of water along with my beer.
    With the humidity this year, temperatures felt like they were a bit over 100 (according to my wife's phone). I probably sat out in the sun too much which contributed to my feeling like this year was particularly hot, but even when I was sitting in the shade I was sweating profusely. And I didn't even drink many beers out at Storybook - I think I had two on Saturday and three on Sunday. Made up for it at the Sunday night pool party.

I don't know, it just felt like a scorcher to me this year.

In case anyone hasn't gotten enough of ProgDay 2018 (or is already starting to feel nostalgic for it), I just put up my annual "ProgDay scrapbook" page that's part travel diary and part band overviews, complete with setlists, photos and write-ups:

http://eichler.byethost11.com/progda...ogDay2018.html

And if you do the Dime a Dozen thing, I put my last audience recording (Edensong) up this morning. So the whole festival is up there now.
    --

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Thank you! Always an enjoyable read, and I appreciate the audio files as well.

Quote Originally Posted by boilk View Post
    In the realm of the realistic, Metaphonia (from North Carolina), should have a new album out this year, and they would be a perfect pick.

neil

I just saw Metaphonia at a festival here in PA (Jibberjazz "Some Kind of Jam") and it occurred to me to search PE to see if anyone had mentioned them.

Definitely second the opinion that they'd be a great ProgDay band. In the set I saw, they covered Rush, Zappa and Pink Floyd (from Animals no less). Their originals were mostly excellent too. They did the song from that YouTube video about Magic the Gathering - it's a classic. Their closer, "Space Force" was great too.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Ground and Sky's Ghost View Post
    I just saw Metaphonia at a festival here in PA (Jibberjazz "Some Kind of Jam") and it occurred to me to search PE to see if anyone had mentioned them.

Definitely second the opinion that they'd be a great ProgDay band. In the set I saw, they covered Rush, Zappa and Pink Floyd (from Animals no less). Their originals were mostly excellent too. They did the song from that YouTube video about Magic the Gathering - it's a classic. Their closer, "Space Force" was great too.
    They played at Progtoberfest a few years ago and I also thought they were fantastic and would be a good fit on the Storybook stage. They are a great North Carolina band.

And a Good Morning it is!

Thanks for your suggestion boilk/Neil and the further posts. I agree that they'd bring some smiles at the farm. Certainly a highlight indeed Labor Day weekend in North Carolina!

Carry On

Chris Buckley