Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: David Bowie - The Man Who Sold The World

David Bowie - The Man Who Sold The World

Wow! How did I miss this one? I just bought this for a couple of bucks and am blown away. Despite having been a Bowie fan for ages and owning many of his albums, this one was off my radar.

What's the consensus on this one?

Rawest, hardest rockin' record he's made, (except for maybe some of the Tin Machine stuff).

Of his LPs that I know, this is the one I most dig...
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Love the record, too. Bought it in college in '72. Wish I had the original UK pressing cover with David in a dress. I do have the cartoon cover pressing. Favorite tune is "Width of a Circle." Mick Ronson is immense on guitar.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Excellent album that flies under the radar far too often.

I imagine in some circles his early work is overshadowed by that of his Berlin years, but those albums, in particular Hunky Dory (for me), are fantastic.
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

Am I correct to say that the album belongs to a glam era of Bowie's music?

Width of a Circle was a concert staple with Ronson on guitar. THe title song is a nice haunting figure. There is a bit of tribute to Marc Bolan in some of Bowie's vocal stylings on this record.

My favourite Bowie album. Like a lot of people, I heard the Nirvana version of the title track before the original.

Didn't know Nirvana covered it ...i know LuLu had a hit with it i!

Great album-some of Ronson's finest guitar work on it.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    Love the record, too. Bought it in college in '72. Wish I had the original UK pressing cover with David in a dress. I do have the cartoon cover pressing. Favorite tune is "Width of a Circle." Mick Ronson is immense on guitar.
    The remastered version uses the Bowie in a dress cover.

meimjustalawnmower
    Quote Originally Posted by JIF View Post
    The remastered version uses the Bowie in a dress cover.
    The Ryko version has a folded insert that gives you all four covers. So you can pick the one you want and face it out.

My favorite Bowie album. And easily his most rocking one, too, I think.
    "I tah dah nur!" - Ike

cool, but I prefer Ziggy. The ideas were there, though.

Great bass work by Visconti. Visconti produced a real great string of albums around this time that included one of my favorite albums of all time, Gentle Giant's Acquiring the Taste.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Listening to it now. Good stuff, but a little unfocused, compared to the albums after it.

Oh by Jingo.......

Brilliant.
    "The woods would be very silent if the only birds that sang were those who sang best..." - Henry David Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    Great bass work by Visconti. Visconti produced a real great string of albums around this time that included one of my favorite albums of all time, Gentle Giant's Acquiring the Taste.
    I think Visconti's big bass sound really drives this album. This is my fave Bowie album by a mile and I really dig almost everything he has done. The track She Shook Me Cold is one of the best things Bowie ever recorded - but mostly for the Cream like improv section in the middle - Ronson and Visconti really go for it and it is a unique sound in Bowie's repertoire.

Banned

These are my three favorite Bowie songs, and they are all from the same album. The last one recently became a favorite when I heard it on a station called The Sound. They have a program called My Turn. It's a two hour program that features one celebrity, and one regular person that takes over the station for one hour. Taylor Hawkins played the song on his guest DJ spot.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Used to have the vinyl but I don't think I ever listened to it! And how does Arnold Corns fit in - was that before this?

Definitely an "under the radar" album, and one that I didn't hear until around 15 years ago. A friend insisted I borrow it, and I was blown away.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    David Bowie: "in America especially, when I do 'The Man Who Sold The World' the amount of kids that come up afterwards and say, 'It's cool you're doing a Nirvana song.' And I think, 'Fuck you, you little tosser!'"
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    David Bowie: "in America especially, when I do 'The Man Who Sold The World' the amount of kids that come up afterwards and say, 'It's cool you're doing a Nirvana song.' And I think, 'Fuck you, you little tosser!'"
    I remember arguing with somebody on an internet forum years ago about that song being a Nirvana song or not. I explained to them that after Nirvana plays it, Cobain says: "that was a David Bowie song", to which they replied: "I don't remember that part"
    The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off

I remember a discussion of the 20,000 alternate covers this album had a while back, including that hideous German foldout cover with the mutant Bowie/hand monstrosity.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...