Thread: Cactus

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar

Cactus

They occasionally play songs by the band Cactus on Deep Tracks, and as I recall they sounded a bit proggy. Do they have an album(s) that veers toward Prog?

Not really. I don’t consider them prog at all. Their first album was probably their best. They also did a great cover of Long Tall Sally which I love. They were considered the American Led Zeppelin which maybe isn’t the perfect description. Hard bluesy rock would be my description.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm only familiar with their first LP, which is straight-up hard blues rock. "Parchman Farm" on speed, these guys were pretty much reviled by the critics as apex defilers of the blues.

When I saw them guitarist Jim McCarty came onstage alone and soloed for about 10 minutes, a pretty ballsy move given that they were opening for Hendrix.
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Yardbird McCarty & Fudge's Carmine Appice were the 2 reason they got an album deal & gigs. I wasn't at all impressed w/I saw them, even tho' I was not only a Yardbirds fan, but also liked Van Fudge more than I, in retrospect, should have.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

I've always loved Cactus. You should own: Cactus, One Way Or Another, Restrictions, 'Ot 'N Sweaty and Fully Unleashed: The Live Gigs Volumes
    I and II. The original Cactus had Tim Bogert on Bass, Carmine Appice on drums, Jim McCarty on guitar and Rusty Day on vocals. They were a hard
    rock, blues powerhouse, not prog at all. Their is a pseudo reunion version with only Jim on guitar and Carmine on drums. Studio albums are not
    that great.

Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    Not really. I don’t consider them prog at all. Their first album was probably their best. They also did a great cover of Long Tall Sally which I love. They were considered the American Led Zeppelin which maybe isn’t the perfect description. Hard bluesy rock would be my description.
    Yup, not prog at all (despite the ex-Fudge rhythm section), and I've owned for a while the first three or four albums for a couple of years in the 70's, but the debut is their best by a margin.
    Nowadays, I can't even begin to wonder what I saw in them to actually buy all their albums back then.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    Yardbird McCarty & Fudge's Carmine Appice were the 2 reason they got an album deal & gigs. I wasn't at all impressed w/I saw them, even tho' I was not only a Yardbirds fan, but also liked Van Fudge more than I, in retrospect, should have.
    Well, of course it wasn't The Yardbirds' McCarty, who was a drummer (like Carmine), but the former guitar player for the Detroit Wheels, also named Jim McCarty.

Quote Originally Posted by yoyiceu View Post
    Well, of course it wasn't The Yardbirds' McCarty, who was a drummer (like Carmine), but the former guitar player for the Detroit Wheels, also named Jim McCarty.
    Unlike many on this site, I embrace my fallibility.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

The two Jim McCartys finally met a year or so ago. Both very talented.

Restrictions w/ its Rene Magritte like album cover and occasional flirtation w/ psychedelia is probably as close to "prog" as they get. The Guiltless Glider track isn't a million miles away from Captain Beyond...a lot of records have aged worse than this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Bake 1 View Post
    Restrictions w/ its Rene Magritte like album cover and occasional flirtation w/ psychedelia is probably as close to "prog" as they get. The Guiltless Glider track isn't a million miles away from Captain Beyond...a lot of records have aged worse than this one.
    Overlooked, excellent album. Alaska is a great blues tune. Mean Night In Cleveland employed those four words only as the closer. It’s the second album to be recorded at Electric Lady Studio. Both One Way...Or Another and Restrictions were released in 71. The eponymous album was recorded at Ultrasonic studios, 15 minutes from my house. They did a WLIR broadcast from there which, of course, I have. RIP Rusty Day.

Cactus is coming to town next friday and i have 4th row tix i can't use, i am really, really bummed. Any locals in the st louis area hit me up i'll make you a good deal.